Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else getting tired of funding the sports palaces with hotel taxes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2008, 1:52 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Miami is building another new stadium for the Marlins. They will demolish the Orange Bowl and build a new stadium in it's place.

Funding??? not to worry Miami residents of Miami and ball club owners... A Hotel Tax will take care of it for you....

and their isn't a damned thing we can do about it.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 1:56 pm

Programs: Bowling Team Capt.
I've got to say that if I am a Miami resident its great idea, I mean how often do you stay in a hotel in your hometown?

That said I thiink it is time for these Billionaire Sports franchise owners to pony up for their stadiums
Old Feb 29, 2008, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, American, USAir, Continental, Northwest, United, AirTran, SouthWest, Midwest
"There isn't a damn thing we can do about it"?

Travel someplace other than Miami. And, Miami is probably one of the worst examples, because even if you really need to be in Miami, you can still stay in Boca, Lauderdale or West Palm.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by ninerfan
That said I thiink it is time for these Billionaire Sports franchise owners to pony up for their stadiums
soak the rich?
Old Feb 29, 2008, 2:25 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Probably have to go after the hotels, because the car taxes are already so incredibly high.

I hate tourist taxes, and should I have a choice, when they are totally out of line (Phoenix comes to mind for rentals) I'll spend my money someplace else.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Max The Distance
"There isn't a damn thing we can do about it"?

Travel someplace other than Miami. And, Miami is probably one of the worst examples, because even if you really need to be in Miami, you can still stay in Boca, Lauderdale or West Palm.
A lot of these taxes are imposed regionally and not solely by the municipality where the sports facility will be located, unfortunately (state legislatures get involved). IIRC Miller Park in Milwaukee County (don't think it's in Milwaukee proper) was funded this way.

LP Field in Nashville was funded partially by a surcharge to water-utility ratepayers--but not all of that utility's customers live in the Metro Nashville municipality, nor do all Nashville municipality residents have service from that water utility (my own house being an example).
Old Feb 29, 2008, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Yes, I don't like it. Owners should use their own private funds for stadium construction, IMHO.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 3:22 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by magiciansampras
Yes, I don't like it. Owners should use their own private funds for stadium construction, IMHO.
Agree.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
It's Win-Win(-Win) as far as I can see. The residents of the city don't care because it's not their money. The business-people staying in the hotel's don't care because it's not their money either (it's "The Man's" money), and the people actually paying the bills (that would be "The Man") don't care because it's a cost of business and the accountants will turn that into a positive for them. So, what's the BFD? Take your mind of the war (which you will most assuredly lose anyway) and enjoy some Footie.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
It's Win-Win(-Win) as far as I can see. The residents of the city don't care because it's not their money. The business-people staying in the hotel's don't care because it's not their money either (it's "The Man's" money), and the people actually paying the bills (that would be "The Man") don't care because it's a cost of business and the accountants will turn that into a positive for them. So, what's the BFD? Take your mind of the war (which you will most assuredly lose anyway) and enjoy some Footie.
It's not win for the folks coming in to stay in that city.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 3:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
It's not win for the folks coming in to stay in that city.

True; for the folks paying with their own money - No, it's not a win. The folks using OPM don't care.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, American, USAir, Continental, Northwest, United, AirTran, SouthWest, Midwest
You would think that, eventually, the hotel lobby (no pun intended) would get through to the politicians that they can only add so much tax to a hotel bill before it starts to affect their client's business.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 7:35 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Taxes on rental cars still seem more out of line to me.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep. Ask the folks in Oakland how they were ripped off. Now Santa Clara is being fattened for the fleecing. . .
Old Feb 29, 2008, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I was just thinking of this too, but not in regard to using the funding for stadiums.

I always complained about the hotel taxes in Hawaii & Florida, both of which are around 11-12%.

Then I paid attention when doing a mattress run in NJ - the hotel taxes are 15%.

That's obscene, and as others have said, there's not much that can/will be done about it since most residents don't stay in the hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.