Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Ningbo, China [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Ningbo, China [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2008, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Arrow Sheraton Ningbo, China [Master Thread]

I did a search, so if there is another thread on the Sheraton Ningbo please feel free to merge:
Anyway, beautiful hotel in a very convenient location near Zhongshan East Road in Ningbo. The hotel is part of a complex comprised of 3 towers currently (it looks like there are 3 more to come):
1) The Sheraton Ningbo Hotel
2) The Portman Residence
3) The Portman Plaza Hotel
The Sheraton is the nicest of the three towers, and has a four story lobby which is quite impressive. The entrance is via circular drive, which is also impressive due to the two 2008 black Rolls Royce motorcars which are available for airport transfer/etc in their own gleaming glass garage as you arrive.
The hotel has a restaurant with buffet on the main level called Cafe Soo which is very good, a Chinese restaurant on the 2nd level called Tian Heung Garden, a much fancier Chinese restaurant on the 3rd level called Emperor Court, an Italian restaurant on the 2nd level with a wood burning Pizza oven called Mezzo's on 2, a Japanese restaurant with Teppanyaki and Sushi on the 2nd level called Akitaya, a Lounge on the ground level which is basically a coffe shop called Aqua lounge, and a bar on the 2nd floor which is quite lively called Grappa's with the obligatory live band, and a "Deli" next to the buffet restaurant which has many fancy cakes, and last but not least a Karoke Club called Royal Club TV with all the private rooms/etc should you wish to sing Celine Dion one more time and play dice (don't do it). So, F and B has a pretty wide range of choices, and there are also several restaurants across the street including a pretty good pub on Caihong Road (OReillys of course as every town needs yet one more Irish Pub).
Now, there is also a very nice Spa and Health Club which actually covers two levels of the hotel (floors 4 and 5) which is called Zenses- all the usual hotel facilities plus a huge range of massages (which is open 24 hours) and a Reflexology room (which is fantastic). I understand there is also an outdoor roof top tennis court- but I did not see it (nor did I look for it).
SPG recognition was good- did not see a separate check in open, but it looks like they are actually constructing a separate check in area to the right- although this may be for tours groups, it is still being built. Service was very fast (for China where checkin requires registration of Visas for police purposes), and they did note/recognize SPG membership. I understand there are 35 suites as well in the hotel- although as a gold member this year not entitled to the upgrade (nor did I ask as it didn't really matter)- and they range is size from around 500 sq feet to 2500 according to the literature in the hotel rooms. Rooms are pretty standard high end China- for those of you who have stayed at the JW Marriott or the Ritz Carlton in Shanghai you will find the decor to be the same (think wood, soft lighting, and tasteful artwork- they are quite small however but very comfortable with a good desk and a proper King bed. Internet is quite fast, and is free- for now (looks like they could charge for it with their system quite easily) and there is a two line telephone with speakerphone. Also, soundproofing is not bad given they are on a very busy intersection- you can still hear some horn honking- but it is not unreasonable. Room Service is also 24 hours, and has typical Sheraton choices (such as Club Sandwich, Cheese Burger, Fish and Chips), but also some very good (and much more recommended from me) Chinese selections- although they are quite pricy for Ningbo (think Wonton Noodles for $10 USD).
Staff are very friendly- and their level of English is quite good- no problems here at all.
Now, and here is where you need to think about your SPG points- the Portman Plaza Hotel is connected by glass walkway in the other tower- and has all the same amenities, very similar rooms (not quite as nice but close), and is around $50 USD cheaper a night- and you still can order from room service, same management, and same access to the health club etc- really the big difference is no SPG points. So.. you decide. We also have a colleague who is living in the residence, and it is great- nice suite- paying around $1300 USD a month with the same access etc. As far as Ningbo goes, this is a big step up from the other luxury hotel in town for now which is the Nanyuan, and until the Shangri-La opens at the end of the year will be the Hotel to stay at in Ningbo (there is also a Marriott opening which looks very impressive as a huge glass tower, but it is around 8 KM out of town near the University). The hotel feels more like a Westin to me than a Sheraton- but overall it is a very very nice place to stay should business take you to Ningbo. Good Work Sheraton! If there are any more detailed questions let me know- as I mentioned our colleague is living here, and thus seems pretty up to speed on the hotel- and I will certainly be back frequently (although being torn between the points/stay credits and $$$ will make for a difficult decision)
Old Mar 11, 2008, 8:40 pm

I completely agree. I was in Ningbo in Sept 2007. Company I was visiting had me at the Portman Plaza. Very disappointing -- cockroaches in lobby , smelly room (ran AC at 5 deg. Celcius all night -- room never got cold, smell was still there!). Moved to Sheraton next day for balance of stay. We paid a corp rate of 910 RMB (~$130/night). Sheraton was much better!

Dinner buffet in lobby at night was great and breakfast in morning was almost like home!

Nice report Travelsig.

I'll always stay at the Sheraton ^ and completely avoid the Portman Plaza .
Old Mar 12, 2008, 3:56 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Hi TRAVELSIG,

Thank you for your review. I was wondering why there aren't many threads on hotels in China. And here we are.

Your compliments are overwhelming, so much so that it makes me want to fly there now for a short stay!

I have jotted down your comments and they will be presented further on to the hotel as well.

Thank you and have a nice day!

[email protected]

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I did a search, so if there is another thread on the Sheraton Ningbo please feel free to merge:
Anyway, beautiful hotel in a very convenient location near Zhongshan East Road in Ningbo. The hotel is part of a complex comprised of 3 towers currently (it looks like there are 3 more to come):
1) The Sheraton Ningbo Hotel
2) The Portman Residence
3) The Portman Plaza Hotel
The Sheraton is the nicest of the three towers, and has a four story lobby which is quite impressive. The entrance is via circular drive, which is also impressive due to the two 2008 black Rolls Royce motorcars which are available for airport transfer/etc in their own gleaming glass garage as you arrive.
The hotel has a restaurant with buffet on the main level called Cafe Soo which is very good, a Chinese restaurant on the 2nd level called Tian Heung Garden, a much fancier Chinese restaurant on the 3rd level called Emperor Court, an Italian restaurant on the 2nd level with a wood burning Pizza oven called Mezzo's on 2, a Japanese restaurant with Teppanyaki and Sushi on the 2nd level called Akitaya, a Lounge on the ground level which is basically a coffe shop called Aqua lounge, and a bar on the 2nd floor which is quite lively called Grappa's with the obligatory live band, and a "Deli" next to the buffet restaurant which has many fancy cakes, and last but not least a Karoke Club called Royal Club TV with all the private rooms/etc should you wish to sing Celine Dion one more time and play dice (don't do it). So, F and B has a pretty wide range of choices, and there are also several restaurants across the street including a pretty good pub on Caihong Road (OReillys of course as every town needs yet one more Irish Pub).
Now, there is also a very nice Spa and Health Club which actually covers two levels of the hotel (floors 4 and 5) which is called Zenses- all the usual hotel facilities plus a huge range of massages (which is open 24 hours) and a Reflexology room (which is fantastic). I understand there is also an outdoor roof top tennis court- but I did not see it (nor did I look for it).
SPG recognition was good- did not see a separate check in open, but it looks like they are actually constructing a separate check in area to the right- although this may be for tours groups, it is still being built. Service was very fast (for China where checkin requires registration of Visas for police purposes), and they did note/recognize SPG membership. I understand there are 35 suites as well in the hotel- although as a gold member this year not entitled to the upgrade (nor did I ask as it didn't really matter)- and they range is size from around 500 sq feet to 2500 according to the literature in the hotel rooms. Rooms are pretty standard high end China- for those of you who have stayed at the JW Marriott or the Ritz Carlton in Shanghai you will find the decor to be the same (think wood, soft lighting, and tasteful artwork- they are quite small however but very comfortable with a good desk and a proper King bed. Internet is quite fast, and is free- for now (looks like they could charge for it with their system quite easily) and there is a two line telephone with speakerphone. Also, soundproofing is not bad given they are on a very busy intersection- you can still hear some horn honking- but it is not unreasonable. Room Service is also 24 hours, and has typical Sheraton choices (such as Club Sandwich, Cheese Burger, Fish and Chips), but also some very good (and much more recommended from me) Chinese selections- although they are quite pricy for Ningbo (think Wonton Noodles for $10 USD).
Staff are very friendly- and their level of English is quite good- no problems here at all.
Now, and here is where you need to think about your SPG points- the Portman Plaza Hotel is connected by glass walkway in the other tower- and has all the same amenities, very similar rooms (not quite as nice but close), and is around $50 USD cheaper a night- and you still can order from room service, same management, and same access to the health club etc- really the big difference is no SPG points. So.. you decide. We also have a colleague who is living in the residence, and it is great- nice suite- paying around $1300 USD a month with the same access etc. As far as Ningbo goes, this is a big step up from the other luxury hotel in town for now which is the Nanyuan, and until the Shangri-La opens at the end of the year will be the Hotel to stay at in Ningbo (there is also a Marriott opening which looks very impressive as a huge glass tower, but it is around 8 KM out of town near the University). The hotel feels more like a Westin to me than a Sheraton- but overall it is a very very nice place to stay should business take you to Ningbo. Good Work Sheraton! If there are any more detailed questions let me know- as I mentioned our colleague is living here, and thus seems pretty up to speed on the hotel- and I will certainly be back frequently (although being torn between the points/stay credits and $$$ will make for a difficult decision)
Old Mar 12, 2008, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
Hi TRAVELSIG,

Thank you for your review. I was wondering why there aren't many threads on hotels in China. And here we are.

Your compliments are overwhelming, so much so that it makes me want to fly there now for a short stay!

I have jotted down your comments and they will be presented further on to the hotel as well.

Thank you and have a nice day!

[email protected]
Hi Thank you for the feedback! And glad you will pass it on to the hotel as well.
The staff in the Italian restaurant Mezzos and adjoining bar, Grappas, are also very competent and friendly. I don't know if I would fly to Ningbo for a short stay, but I would recommend that if you are coming to Ningbo for business this is the place to stay.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 12:02 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Lifetime P, IC RA, Hyatt D
Thanks for the nice review, travelsig. I am going to Ningbo later this month and am looking forward to it now after reading your review.

$50/night at Portman vs $130/night at Sheraton with similar rooms and services in the same complex -- that's quite a price difference. Wonder anyone knows whether I can get a rate somewhere inbetween? Thanks
Old May 14, 2008, 10:39 pm

Programs: CX DM / Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by TravellerOnline
Thanks for the nice review, travelsig. I am going to Ningbo later this month and am looking forward to it now after reading your review.

$50/night at Portman vs $130/night at Sheraton with similar rooms and services in the same complex -- that's quite a price difference. Wonder anyone knows whether I can get a rate somewhere inbetween? Thanks
I've been staying the Sheraton Ningbo from the first week it opened (was still called Portman Plaza Hotel - before Sheraton stepped in) and am there every 5-6 weeks for work. Rates started at around $65, and now up to $130 which is actually a good rate. If you were to book online at SPG.com they are quoting $152 (for May 2008 stay).

In my opinion - it's the best hotel I have stayed at in China (ex-Shanghai, where I am very partial to the Ritz Carlton).
Old Sep 19, 2009, 6:36 pm

Hi!
I stayed at the property a few weeks ago. Have taken some photos of the standard king room I stayed in.

Here is a link to the respective set on Flickr..

Regards
Ham
Old Nov 17, 2012, 6:56 am

We stayed at the Westin and the Sheraton in Ningbo, having changed our reservation for all nights at the Westin to a night at the Sheraton when we found on this board that tourists staying at the Westin cannot use the Sheraton bus to Shanghai.
Overall, both hotels were exceptional in terms of facilities, recognition of Platinums, personal services, and the club lounge. However we preferred the Sheraton over Westin.
The Sheraton's bus to the Pudong Sheraton & Sheraton 4 Points offers a very valuable service is unique. Some have pointed out that one can go to the bus station and take an inexpensive bus with frequent service to Shanghai, but nothing beats packing up luggage, having hotel personnel take the pieces to the front door and load them on the bus, roll out of bed and take a quick breakfast at the club lounge and then leisurely board the bus at the hotel's front door. The bus trip takes about 2 hours, with a brief stop at the half-way mark for a bathroom break at a rest stop (our trip took 2.5 hours because of accidents on the outskirts of Shanghai). Mrs. L.P. keeps telling me we should travel to Ningbo when we go back to this area of China because of the ease of traveling between these two Sheraton properties.
SPG allows hotels to offer local amenities to Platinums and the Sheraton Ningbo has the most unusual Platinum amenity that we ever have had! At 6 to 7 PM every night at the Club Lounge, personnel from the health club provide free 15 minute neck massages to anyone who would want one. We talked to some American business men on long term assignments in Ningbo who told us the neck massages occurred every evening, and had proved to be one of the best perks they had received. We noted guests enjoying the neck massages and told one of the Club hostesses that my wife and I would want one, and she put us on the list. However at the magic hour of 7 PM, the ladies providing the massages began; however the Club personnel caught up with them in the hall
outside the club and obtained a promise that they would be back to massage our necks later. We sat in the lounge enjoying our martinis and thinking that this was a lost opportunity, but 45 minutes after they left, one of the experts returned to work on our necks. --What a perk!!!
Our suite was wonderful, as was the meals we had at the Sheraton, making our experience in Ningbo equivalent to other top SPG Chinese hotels at which we stayed.
One of the reasons we went to Ningbo was to see the Ningbo Museum, a building completed in 2008 and designed by architect Wang Shu and his wife Lu Wenju. Wang won the Pritzker Prize in 2012 for his work on this building, as the building is constructed of recycled bricks. This should be a must for visitors to Ningbo, as this work has been cited as the world's top prize in architecture in 2012. There are other unique buildings in Ningbo that were designed by Wang Shu as well.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Life_Platinum- great to hear you enjoyed Ningbo so much! I travel often to Ningbo for work (we have an office there) and I have never thought of visiting as a tourist- I didn't even know the musuem you are writing about existed!
Old Nov 18, 2012, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Life_Platinum- great to hear you enjoyed Ningbo so much! I travel often to Ningbo for work (we have an office there) and I have never thought of visiting as a tourist- I didn't even know the musuem you are writing about existed!
Travelsig: Here is a URL from Wikipedia about Wang Shu and the Pritzker Prize. Wang Shu was the first Chinese architect to receive this award, as a previous winner, IM Pei was considered an American. I don't think that the Ningbo museum will do for Ningbo what the Guggenheim museum did for Bilbao Spain, but certainly it is a reason to visit Ningbo and stay at either the Westin or the Sheraton. Mrs. LP and I spent over 3 hours in the building looking into all nooks and crannies. I know you will enjoy it, and entrance was free the day we were there. It was a short taxi ride from the Sheraton. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wang_Shu
Old Nov 18, 2012, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
Travelsig: Here is a URL from Wikipedia about Wang Shu and the Pritzker Prize. Wang Shu was the first Chinese architect to receive this award, as a previous winner, IM Pei was considered an American. I don't think that the Ningbo museum will do for Ningbo what the Guggenheim museum did for Bilbao Spain, but certainly it is a reason to visit Ningbo and stay at either the Westin or the Sheraton. Mrs. LP and I spent over 3 hours in the building looking into all nooks and crannies. I know you will enjoy it, and entrance was free the day we were there. It was a short taxi ride from the Sheraton. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wang_Shu
Thank you again! Next time I am in Ningbo I will check it out (most likely early January as this point).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.