Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reneg on rate

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2008, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Reneg on rate

I'm in the middle of planning a conference for the feds. I called the ES Omaha and, with some doing, got the per diem rate for 5 rooms for 6 nights. I reserved those rooms. Then we sent out an email to a bunch of people who would meet us there. Some of the people said that those dates weren't the best for them.

So, because I had issues getting a hotel room before, before we rescheduled, I called ES to see if I could get the same rate for the same rooms but two weeks later. I was told that it wouldn't be a problem, but the sooner I could reserve the better, because one of the rooms had to be accessible and there's some handicap games going on in Omaha around those dates. Unfortunately I don't know exactly who told me this.

So we contacted a bunch of people asking if the new dates would work, and they will.

I call ES back and try to get them to honor the rate they told me that they would give us and now they won't. I was talking to the manager.

I'm just a lowly GM. Any idea on who I can complain to?

Last edited by artemis021; Mar 11, 2008 at 1:46 pm
Old Mar 11, 2008, 5:49 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I wouldn't exactly call it a reneg. If you negotiate a rate and then don't book it, you can't be certain that the rate will remain.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I think your best option is to try for another set of dates, but ask for the per diem rate prior to agreeing on those dates. If they agree to give you the per diem rate for your new dates, book them, as long as you can cancel. Then, if the dates don't work, you can cancel. That's probably what you should've done originally, but it's a learning experience.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 7:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I ultimately found what I needed on the website (well, 3 rooms at the fed rate) and asked if I could get the 2 other rooms on the state rate (same price), and they agreed. But I'll remember to book first and cancel later next time.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 9:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by artemis021
Thanks for the advice. I ultimately found what I needed on the website (well, 3 rooms at the fed rate) and asked if I could get the 2 other rooms on the state rate (same price), and they agreed. But I'll remember to book first and cancel later next time.
That's a good rule to remember if you have rooms booked but then are offered a promo and need to re-book. It's better to book another room, then cancel the initial one in that case.

Glad you were able to get the rate.

Last edited by kipper; Mar 12, 2008 at 9:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.