Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Kauai, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: cmatthews11
Hotel email address: [email protected]

As of October 2021, daily resort charge is $30.00 plus tax, per room, per day. Infusions are subject to change:
  • Daily water sports demonstration/instruction (in Resort Pool): Snorkel and surf
  • Daily fitness classes: Yoga & water aerobics
  • Daily cultural activities: Hula, Ukelele, Lei making, Pond fishing
  • Welcome Macadamia Nut Gift (1 time only on the hotel side)
  • Wi-Fi access
Confirmed for Platinum Elite+ members, breakfast at Lava's includes 2 entrees from the menu + 2 drinks (coffee/juice). Additional items may cost additional, depending on waiter/waitress. Guests can choose a one-time deposit of 1,000 points in lieu of breakfast.

There are reclining beach chairs poolside that ate complimentary (no view of the beach for the most part), all other seating there is a charge, such as:
  • Beach chairs: $10 per day, per chair (8AM-5PM)
  • Beach umbrella: $18
  • Green cabanas (Beach side, seats 2): $75 per day
  • Red cabanas (Pool side, seats 4-6): $150
Self-parking is free and valet is not currently being offered. Proof of vaccination was required by security at check-in, unclear if negative covid test will suffice.

Besides breakfast, no clear additional benefits for loyalty members aside from the chance of an upgrade and/or late checkout.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

any word on how the renovation is coming along?

/mod

Earlier reports can be found http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html

/mod

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jun 19, 2010 at 11:09 am
Old Feb 3, 2007, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I'm finishing a six-night award stay here. Since award rooms are all in the garden wing, that's where I am. It's a nice hotel room with a refrigerator--not luxurious but not to be avoided at all costs either. Maybe I'd feel differently if I were paying for a room, but I have no complaints.

When I booked the room, the resort fee was $25 and included two breakfast buffets. That changed to $15 without breakfast on January 1. I was able to get them to honor what I booked since I had the printout with the fee I booked. So if you booked before January and want the breakfasts, be sure to take your paperwork.

Update: When I checked out, the wrong resort fee and all the breakfasts were on my folio, along with someone else's restaurant charge. It took her quite a while to correct my folio, but I wouldn't leave until it was right. I also mentioned that the second day I bought the wireless Internet it kept dropping every 10 minutes. She took off the charges for both days, which was a pleasant surprise.

Last edited by linsj; Feb 8, 2007 at 8:10 pm Reason: update
Old Feb 4, 2007, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by linsj
I'm finishing a six-night award stay here. Since award rooms are all in the garden wing, that's where I am. It's a nice hotel room with a refrigerator--not luxurious but not to be avoided at all costs either. Maybe I'd feel differently if I were paying for a room, but I have no complaints.

When I booked the room, the resort fee was $25 and included two breakfast buffets. That changed to $15 without breakfast on January 1. I was able to get them to honor what I booked since I had the printout with the fee I booked. So if you booked before January and want the breakfasts, be sure to take your paperwork.
We stayed there the second week of Jan. I never thought of asking them to honor the breakfast. Too bad.

Did you know for another 1500pts and $65/day you can upgrade to a deluxe oceanfront? One of the best sunset views on the south shore right from your lanai. We were given a courtesy room in the garden wing later in the day. They had made quite a few improvements and some of the furniture was the same as the deluxe ocean front rooms. They still had CRT's where the ocean fronts had 42" LCD.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 8:36 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by linsj
Shame. The breakfast was probably the best part of my stay there (garden wing). I hate the idea of a resort fee, but it was a little easier to swallow when they were throwing in breakfast. Now it's $15 for what...the privelage of making a local phone call that I'd probably use my cell phone for anyway?
Old Feb 6, 2007, 5:51 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
How much for breakfast now?

So how much is it now for breakfast? And is it as busy and popular as it was before? It seemed there was always a line out the entrance way even when there was available tables.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by EdV
So how much is it now for breakfast? And is it as busy and popular as it was before? It seemed there was always a line out the entrance way even when there was available tables.
I noticed this too...and couldn't figure out why they were keeping people outside and not filling the restaurant. Luckily we arrived before the lines built up and were seated, but I saw this pattern repeated every morning.

Honestly, the breakfast buffet is not worth much over $12, although I think they charge more than that now. We ended up inventing culinary skills to spruce the offerings up abit since it was the same thing day after day. For example, we used the fresh fruit to make our own compote to fill the pancakes...although the flies landing and crawling around the papaya left that option abit less appealing.

If you're planning on spending alot of time away from the hotel, it might be better to get breakfast on the road. In the direction of Waimea, the Kalaheo Cafe offers a good selection of breakfast items that you can eat there or wrap to go. Lihue has the venerable Oki Diner if you're headed towards to the North Shore. To be honest, we often just run through the McDonalds drive-thru to get a quick breakfast rather than waste time waiting at a restaurant. A smaller breakfast leaves room for a plate lunch (check out Koloa Market, Fish Express, Pono Market and Mark's Place for excellent local eats).

Another option is picking wild fruit (make sure you don't pick anything growing on private property) and having it in the morning before heading out. We usually have our fruit before bed, but I guess doing it for breakfast is probably a good option as well. We pick alot of guava, papaya and even passionfruit. We wash it thoroughly, then store it in ice to chill - a true taste of paradise.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 8:26 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
bocastephen, thanks for the detailed response. In all honesty it doesn't matter to me because I'm usually there for work and not pleasure and it's all billed anyhow. I was just wondering what they're charging for that now.

I actually tend to eat a large breakfast because we don't usually have time for a long lunch (or any for that matter). When we do go though one of my favorites is Barefoot burgers in Waimea.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Da5id
We stayed there the second week of Jan. I never thought of asking them to honor the breakfast. Too bad.

Did you know for another 1500pts and $65/day you can upgrade to a deluxe oceanfront? One of the best sunset views on the south shore right from your lanai. We were given a courtesy room in the garden wing later in the day. They had made quite a few improvements and some of the furniture was the same as the deluxe ocean front rooms. They still had CRT's where the ocean fronts had 42" LCD.

Not worth the points or $$ for me.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by EdV
It's $18.50. It was never crowded when I went for breakfast, although Sunday morning the hostess was slow seating people and a short line formed.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 12:28 pm

Programs: *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
worth it?

OK based on some feedback I'm gonna split time b/n Princeville and the Sheraton. Just booked a rm @ the sheraton for $215 a night with 1000 bonus points (granted it's a garden view lanai room) but I'm hoping Plat status get's me sumthin. Any initial thoughts... seems like a good plan or too good to be true?
Old Mar 25, 2007, 2:31 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
PLT upgrade at Sheraton Kauai

Just want to know what kind of plt upgrade is available at this hotel? What is considered as a standard suite at this property? I couldn't find any information about the types of suites available at this hotel (the most expensive one quoted on spg.com is the Luxury Ocean View room).
Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1P; SPG Plat;
Originally Posted by ktjan
Just want to know what kind of plt upgrade is available at this hotel? What is considered as a standard suite at this property? I couldn't find any information about the types of suites available at this hotel (the most expensive one quoted on spg.com is the Luxury Ocean View room).
There is a ton of information on this hotel if you use the Search function here. I've stayed at the SKR several times, though not since the renovation was done. I've always enjoyed our stays and think it's a great place with kids. If I recall, there aren't all that many suites and you have to call SPG Platinum concierge to see what the deal is to use points, etc. I've always gotten good upgrades there as a Plat (to prime o/f rooms, etc.) but I wouldn't count on a suite upgrade since there aren't that many good ones at the property (stay away from the garden wing...though if those rooms were renovated at least they will be comfortable).
Old Mar 26, 2007, 3:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
Are there any oceanfront suites that are considered to be "standard suites" at this location?
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:30 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
No. If you look in gleff's sticky above, you will see a list of what is available using the SPG suite rate plan for select properties in Hawaii. These are considered to be standard "suite" availability.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Hmmm. Just noticed that gleff's FAQ thread got unstickied. Well, here it is anyway.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...eferrerid=4179

The upshot being that there are no standard suites at this property.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Apr 20, 2007, 12:50 pm

Plat Upgrade @ Sheraton Kauai

I'll be going to this property right around (or right after) Memorial Day and I'm just curious what room upgrade a plat member typically receives.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.