Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Virgin America's 'Dark' A319 - How to avoid it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2008, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club

NOTE added 8/20/2008 - The DarkHorse, aka N524VA has been sent in for installation of the IFE - this aircraft is not currently flying for VX.

After careful review of VX's flight schedule, I can share some information for the benefit of all FlyerTalkers regarding VX's one "dark" A319.

For those unaware, VX has one aircraft in circulation that does not yet have operating amenities (e.g. "Red" IFE system, massage feature on F cabin seats, at seat power, etc.)

This plane is being flown on short haul trips between SFO-LAX and SFO-LAS currently.

All A319 flights can be identified in the flight schedule with a 4 digit flight number beginning with the number 1.

Guests flying on this plane can request F seats be reclined by the in-flight team members. Food and beverage service is available on the flight.

Cocktails and snacks are complementary in the Main Cabin, upon request.

First Class guests are offered a flight credit of $25 to compensate for the lack of IFE on board.

The "Dark" Plane is registration number N524VA. There are two other A319's in VX's fleet currently, N523VA and N525VA.

This is the most current information I have as of 2/25/08, based on my research. I'll update this should I discover new information.

Book your trips accordingly - should you wish to avoid this aircraft for the "VX Experience".

Last edited by SFO 1K; Aug 20, 2008 at 5:22 am Reason: updated information 8/20/2008
Old Feb 23, 2008, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Book your trips accordingly - should you wish to avoid this aircraft for the "VX Experience".
Is there a way to determine which 319 is the "dark" 319 or are you suggesting that people just avoid booking any flight on a 319?
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:38 pm

Programs: DL 3MM/FC/DM LT; LH FT LT; HH DIA
I have already 5 (five!) vouchers from VX because of this plane...can't believe its not finished yet, I am doing the reclining (F) on my own now, no FA needed
Old Feb 24, 2008, 4:51 am

One way to avoid this plane is to do what I'll be doing...avoiding VX altogether!
Old Feb 24, 2008, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rjque
Is there a way to determine which 319 is the "dark" 319 or are you suggesting that people just avoid booking any flight on a 319?
There is only 1 A319. So any flight with a 4 digit flight number, starting with 1, is the dark plane (for now).
Old Feb 24, 2008, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is only 1 A319. So any flight with a 4 digit flight number, starting with 1, is the dark plane (for now).
Thanks, this is great information. Looks like I'm scheduled to be on a 319 for a Vegas trip in May, though there are enough "1" flights on the return to lead me to suspect that there will be some new aircraft delivered before then.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Agreed, by May more 319s in the schedule.
Let's hope that with the added aircraft in the fleet, the dark plane can go in for the rest of it's installation.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 1:15 pm

Programs: VX, UA 2P
Agreed, by May more 319s in the schedule.
Let's hope that with the added aircraft in the fleet, the dark plane can go in for the rest of it's installation.
Maybe we will hear new destinations around May then? (if the deliveries are kept on schedule).

... SEA-SFO starts mid march and SEA-LAX starts early april? maybe they will announce then (like speculated in other threads).

Last edited by nermaljcat; Feb 24, 2008 at 3:08 pm Reason: typo SAN->SEA
Old Feb 24, 2008, 2:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by nermaljcat
Maybe we will hear new destinations around May then? (if the deliveries are kept on schedule).

... SAN-SFO starts mid march and SAN-LAX starts early april? maybe they will announce then (like speculated in other threads).
Actually SAN-SFO started about 10 days ago. I flew over Pres Day weekend. Trip report here, if you're interested. The routes they are starting mid march are LAX-SEA and SFO-SEA.

Also, regarding what the other poster said about A319 flights having 4 digit flight numbers starting in "1," I don't think that is true any more. I checked several flights in March on the san-sfo route that have A319 seat maps, but have three digit flight numbers starting with 8.

P.S. , anyone know why there always seem to be two VX planes (usually one A319 and one A320) parked on remote stands by the Int'l Terminal when I'm at SFO during the daytime. Two spares seems like a lot for a small airline.
Old Feb 24, 2008, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by EIPremier
Actually SAN-SFO started about 10 days ago. I flew over Pres Day weekend. Trip report here, if you're interested. The routes they are starting mid march are LAX-SEA and SFO-SEA.
sorry my bad, I meant SEA
Old Feb 25, 2008, 4:27 am

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
FWIW, VX now has 3 A319s in service (ships 523, 524, 525). That is in addition to the two leased out to Skybus. I have noticed A319s going to JFK, so I'm hoping at least 2 of 3 a319s have been outfitted with RED and the other bells and whistles, if not all 3. Anyone know?

Last edited by EIPremier; Feb 25, 2008 at 5:38 am
Old Feb 25, 2008, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EIPremier
FWIW, VX now has 3 A319s in service (ships 523, 524, 525). That is in addition to the two leased out to Skybus. I have noticed A319s going to JFK, so I'm hoping at least 2 of 3 a319s have been outfitted with RED and the other bells and whistles, if not all 3. Anyone know?
Yes, just one is without the goods. I believe it's 524, but won't swear to it just yet.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 6:14 pm

Yes, just one is without the goods. I believe it's 524, but won't swear to it just yet.
If anyone flies/has flown the "dark" a319 and has the aircraft number, please post here? That would be pretty useful in this "how to avoid" thread
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nermaljcat
If anyone flies/has flown the "dark" a319 and has the aircraft number, please post here? That would be pretty useful in this "how to avoid" thread
It's N524VA. I've updated my original post with this information.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So this appears to be wrong and I am left to wonder whether there is any way to avoid this aircraft other than to just avoid all 319 flights. How United-like of VX to put this aircraft into service before it is fully outfitted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.