Wiki Posts
Search

Alitalia says yes to AF-KL

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2008, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Alitalia says yes to AF-KL

Air France has today issued a press release advising that its bid for AZ has been accepted.

http://corporate.airfrance.com/en/home-page/index.html

AF-KL is proposing a 100% share capital acquisition !

Last edited by Cris L; Mar 16, 2008 at 6:55 am Reason: url not working
Old Mar 16, 2008, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat

why didn't this deal just go away KL burned their fingers already and now AF-KL They have nothing but labor issues to offer, is MXP and FCO so important for AF-KL
Old Mar 16, 2008, 9:01 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by cfischer

why didn't this deal just go away KL burned their fingers already and now AF-KL They have nothing but labor issues to offer, is MXP and FCO so important for AF-KL
What are you talking about? AF-KL is widely considered one of the most successful airline mergers ever, for both AF and KL. Certainly one of the most successful transnational ones.

Now, I agree, AZ has a lot of problems. But private ownership is undoubtedly a step in the right direction.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 9:42 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by cfischer

I think Air France has a lot of experience with mergers and take-overs : UTA, Air Inter, Regional, Brit Air & KLM. I expect them to be quite successful, although this take-over will probably one of the most difficult in Air France's history.

Last edited by JOUY31; Mar 16, 2008 at 12:05 pm
Old Mar 16, 2008, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The agreement was announced but I believe it is still pending some discussions with the unions. I'll be amazed if AF/KL can pull this off without the Italian unions trashing the situation. I'm not entirely convinced that AZ actually wants to survive if it means that the employees would actually have to work. They'd rather watch the company fall apart and lose money, but keep their "jobs."
Old Mar 16, 2008, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JOUY31
I think Air France has a lot of experience with mergers and take-overs : UTA, Air Inter, Regional, Brit Air & KLM. I expect them to be quite successful, although this take-over will probably one of the most difficult in Air France's history.
I hope you are right, but what happens if italian and french unions combine forces continous strike
Old Mar 17, 2008, 4:48 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
having just flown 6 sectors with AZ.. oh dear.. they really have a lot of work to do.. close MXP, and FCO is not that great either. the service is basic, the seats are uncomfortable, the staff morale is low and the MD-80s are getting rather worn out.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GK
having just flown 6 sectors with AZ.. oh dear.. they really have a lot of work to do.. close MXP, and FCO is not that great either. the service is basic, the seats are uncomfortable, the staff morale is low and the MD-80s are getting rather worn out.
The MD80s have the most comfortable seating arrangement of any intra-Europe configuration (with the exception of business class on SU, which is better, and possibly other airlines of the CIS I'm not really familiar with) in both classes. Proper 2-2 seats in C, massive amount of legroom and nobody to recline into you plus priority deboarding behind the galley in Y.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 2:01 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
sorry i have to disagree on the MD-80s.. the recline was right in my face, the overhead storage is tiny, and the last one i flew on was so old and worn out the stairs didn't work so we had to deplane through the rear exit, hence i was last off. they are old fuel guzzling flying scrapheaps

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.