Search

Annoying trends in hotel housekeeping: increased use of "knock 'n push"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2008, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Annoying trends in hotel housekeeping: increased use of "knock 'n push"

Recently, I have noticed a significant increase in the "knock 'n push" housekeeping tactics across various hotels I've stayed at. Instead of the maid knocking, yelling "housekeeping," waiting a few seconds for an answer and then opening the door, it has become increasingly common to knock and open the door without waiting for an answer. I attribute the trend to the increasing workloads placed on the hotel's hardest workers, but I'm not happy with it. Just another reason to make sure you latch the door.

Thanks for listening,
Mike
Old Mar 19, 2008, 7:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by mikeef
Just another reason to make sure you latch the door.
I hate this too, but I really hate it that some hotels (and I'm talking about some Hiltons and Starwoods that I've been in) don't have latches!
Old Mar 19, 2008, 8:25 am

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
Use the latch annd the lock.

Personally I hate that tactic especially at 8am on a saturday. Usually the front desk gets an earful from me when that happens.

JP
Old Mar 19, 2008, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been routinely putting Do Not Disturb signs on the door before going to bed due to this ever-increasing practice by housekeeping staff. Of late, I've experienced several times where housekeeping didn't even give a perfunctory knock, let alone wait for an answer. When that has happened, I have complained to the Executive Housekeeper or duty manager, who always are quite apologetic.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 9:22 am

I always put up the Do Not Disturb sign whenever I'm in the room - much safer that way. I also always latch the door after that one time housekeeping walked in while I was changing
Old Mar 19, 2008, 10:58 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Agree on the use of the "do not disturb" sign. I always have it on the door, and I have never had an issue with housekeeping barging in...or even knocking.

I usually use the latch as well, but the DND sign seems to keep them from even trying.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MarqFlyer
I usually use the latch as well, but the DND sign seems to keep them from even trying.
As it should. A DND sign is supposed to mean 'don't even knock'--leave this guest in peace.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 11:39 am

Programs: AA, US, DL, UA, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver
I always latch the door and usually use the DND sign. I'll even put the sign up if I'm running down to breakfast and want to return to the room before departing. I hate when I go for breakfast and come back to find the maid there and not be able to brush my teeth or use the room right before heading out.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ladiflier
I always latch the door and usually use the DND sign. I'll even put the sign up if I'm running down to breakfast and want to return to the room before departing. I hate when I go for breakfast and come back to find the maid there and not be able to brush my teeth or use the room right before heading out.
When this has happened to me (before starting to use the DND sign, I would go in and kick the maid out for a few minutes. I'm ot giving up on brushing my teeth before going to a client meeting!
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:29 pm

Another DND sign fan here.

That way, I can also have the room done at the time of my choosing, if necessary, as well as preventing embarrassment for both the housekeeper and myself.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:39 pm

I used to hang up a sign that said "Day Sleeper - Do Not Disturb" but it still did not deter most of the maids. To make problems worse they would do it a minimum of 2 times and usually just as I had gotten to sleep. Makes a good nights/days sleep almost impossible.

At least in the hotel in China that honor the DND sign/light and don't bother me.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
How about the "knock 'n knock 'n knock..." until you come to the door. I experienced this a few weeks ago in the Bahamas. The door had the chain/latch thing on, so they clearly knew we were inside, but kept on knocking until I physically got up and told them to come back later.

When I remember, I try to put up the DND sign. At the Westin Auckland, I had put it up prior to bed and then needed an item from housekeeping. After about 15 minutes I got a call, housekeeping was outside the room and wanted to know if they should knock. I was later told they are not allowed to knock even if you have requested something if the sign is up.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by troyb
I was later told they are not allowed to knock even if you have requested something if the sign is up.
That's the way I was trained when I worked in a hotel.
And that's why I am hesitant to use the DND sign unless I really don't want to be bothered. Maybe they need to come up with a "please knock and wait" sign for properties whose staff aren't properly trained.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 7:14 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
At a Hilton last Sunday I didn't put up the DND as we were checking out. Sure enough, 8:30 am housekeeping tried to get in. Amazing since the day before they didn't arrive until 2:30 in the afternoon.

They also were very cheery but very, very loud for the next 2 hours shouting back and forth to each other and inflicting their good cheer on guests who ventured into the hallway magnificently blocked by two giant carts. Housekeepers on uppers early Sunday morning - very downhome, hon.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by lili
At a Hilton last Sunday I didn't put up the DND as we were checking out. Sure enough, 8:30 am housekeeping tried to get in. Amazing since the day before they didn't arrive until 2:30 in the afternoon.

They also were very cheery but very, very loud for the next 2 hours shouting back and forth to each other and inflicting their good cheer on guests who ventured into the hallway magnificently blocked by two giant carts. Housekeepers on uppers early Sunday morning - very downhome, hon.
At a Hilton in NYC a few weeks ago, I had a housekeeper who completely ignored the DND sign and wanted to barge right into the room. Not only did she ignore the DND sign, but she didn't even bother to knock before trying to get in. Fortunately I used the latch that stops the door and only lets them open it a crack. (What are those called?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.