Wiki Posts
Search

Help with finding Middle end to High end hotels in Taipei

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2008, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Korean Air, Lufthansa M&M, SPG ,United Mileage Plus
Exclamation Help with finding Middle end to High end hotels in Taipei

I've been looking around, but haven't found much for name brand hotels in Taipei. Whats the deal here? IS it because of the deal between China and Taiwan? I am assuming so. What are some good hotels in Taipei?
Old Apr 2, 2008, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

best regarded in the luxury hotels forum >
(where focus is on service)

-shangri la far eastern (club)
-sherwood
-landis

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=801823
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=474380
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=741593
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=672423
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=413820
(threads in luxury hotels forum)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 3, 2008 at 11:59 pm
Old Apr 2, 2008, 1:02 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by BIMMERKID2
I've been looking around, but haven't found much for name brand hotels in Taipei. Whats the deal here? IS it because of the deal between China and Taiwan? I am assuming so. What are some good hotels in Taipei?
Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Asia Forum. This Forum is really dedicated to Luxury Hotels and I believe you will be better served in the Asia Forum.
Thanks for your understanding..
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
Old Apr 2, 2008, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

moved to previous post

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 2, 2008 at 1:19 pm
Old Apr 3, 2008, 6:32 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
-landis
I think the Landis is over-rated on FT and TA. Yes, the staff are friendly, but the rooms are worn, the hotel is in an inconvenient location (and far from the subway), and the buffet breakfast is underwhelming. I'm happy to stay there if I can get the executive suite for $170 a.i. (incl. buffet breakfast) on Wotif.com, but at regular rates, I'd prefer the Hyatt or Westin.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there are only 3 comments on landis in luxury hotels forum, but theyre all positive. thats why i put it last. so in that forum i would not say its overrated.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 4, 2008 at 5:41 pm
Old Apr 4, 2008, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your help, it has shed more light on the Luxury accomodations available in Taipei. Last time I was there, I stayed in a Hostel, because I love staying in Hostels because of the fact that people from around the world are there and that I love meeting people from around the world. This time when I go to Taipei, I want to just relax in Luxury

Originally Posted by jpdx
I think the Landis is over-rated on FT and TA. Yes, the staff are friendly, but the rooms are worn, the hotel is in an inconvenient location (and far from the subway), and the buffet breakfast is underwhelming. I'm happy to stay there if I can get the executive suite for $170 a.i. (incl. buffet breakfast) on Wotif.com, but at regular rates, I'd prefer the Hyatt or Westin.
there are only 3 comments on landis in luxury hotels forum, but theyre all positive. thats why i put it last. so in that forum i would not say its overrated.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

MAde my decision!

Looking at the prices of the places, I've gone with this decision:

3 nights at Taipei Key Mall Traveler Hostel in a Private Single for $24.61 per night ..dec. 30th to jan 2st 2009

then as my luxury option

2 nights at Grand Hyatt Hotel at $197.00 exclusive tax per night jan 2st to Jan. 4th

I've made my final decision. I'm going with Grand Hyatt Hotel. Booked a Grand King Room. Shall I, if i happen to see, closer to the date on www.wotif.com a much lower rate, inform them about it. I'm sure something should come up? Do you think I made a good choice for hotel as i've never stayed in a "Actual" hotel in Taipei before. Just in a Hostel as I noted at the beginning....

I've decided to go this route, so I can fulfill both of my wishes, a few nights around a worldly crowd of people my age at a Hostel and then also a few nights enjoying some lavish surrounding in a 5* hotel I will be blowing into Taipei for 5 nights 6 days after a couple weeks of vacation in Korea to see friends there. I'm going to be taking advantage of the wonderful pricing of Business class flights out of Taipei like i did this past december when I returned from Korea after being there for half a year on study abroad. I was only in Taipei for just 3 days then however. I want to have a bit more time in Taiwan this time. I hope to have fun

Does this plan sound cool?

Last edited by BIMMERKID2; Apr 5, 2008 at 4:19 am Reason: Errors, and added some information
Old Apr 7, 2008, 9:14 am
Suspended

try this dump http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ei-Taipei.html
Old Apr 7, 2008, 9:19 am
Suspended

starwood is far better than hyatt by the way
Old Apr 12, 2008, 4:32 am

Programs: UA, CX, BR
Sounds good to me. From what I hear, the GH is still quite good (while I agree with the Landis critics that that chain does not live up to its reputation). The GH is not in the heart of the action, such as it is -- depending on what you mean by having fun. However, it is convenient enough via subway and cheap taxis.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SWA Rapid Rewards, Alaska Air Mileage Plan, AAdvantage, CX Marco Polo
High end hotels -

Far Eastern Plaza Hotel (a Shangri-La property). Not too big, but has plenty of facilities, decent location. My favorite for its service (maybe I'm biased because it's walking distance to/from my grandparents' home).

Sherwood Hotel - somewhat of a boutique hotel, not too large, decent service, good restaurants.

Grand Formosa Regent - nice decor, in the Chungshan N. Road district.

Grand Hyatt. Large, conveniently located for the World Trade Center (conventions and shows).

Howard Plaza Hotel - Good value for the money, convenient to the Ding Hao commercial district.

Lai Lai Sheraton - Decor pretty dated last time I stayed there, don't know if it's been renovated in recent years. Convenient for many of the government offices (walking distance from the Gov't Information Office, Executive Yuan, Legislative Yuan) and a rapid transit station.

Ritz Landis - I don't know about how it's been recently, but it has a really wonderful restaurant called Tien Hsiang Lo that serves Hangzhou cuisine.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Hyatt is a good choice; I've always enjoyed staying there.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:41 pm

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Yes, Hyatt is good choice, I put there and Regent Formosa in same level. I also like small Les Suites (nice location). All are good choices (my Taiwan favorite is in Tainan/Kaoshuing areas) The K-Mall (not key I guess it seems and its no longer K-Mall, will have new name) is across the street from our office. There anre many good (and bad) hostels in the that building, not sure which is yours. Location is good for hostel, on top main subay station, and across the orad form the main rail station. For cheap food, try Nanyang street (on east side of K-Mall), exit on Starbucks corner, and walk south that blocl, lots of student street food places. That area is cram school area, so its full of students with business / cafes that cater to them like us.

Looking at the prices of the places, I've gone with this decision:

3 nights at Taipei Key Mall Traveler Hostel in a Private Single for $24.61 per night ..dec. 30th to jan 2st 2009

then as my luxury option

2 nights at Grand Hyatt Hotel at $197.00 exclusive tax per night jan 2st to Jan. 4th

I've made my final decision. I'm going with Grand Hyatt Hotel. Booked a Grand King Room. Shall I, if i happen to see, closer to the date on www.wotif.com a much lower rate, inform them about it. I'm sure something should come up? Do you think I made a good choice for hotel as i've never stayed in a "Actual" hotel in Taipei before. Just in a Hostel as I noted at the beginning....

I've decided to go this route, so I can fulfill both of my wishes, a few nights around a worldly crowd of people my age at a Hostel and then also a few nights enjoying some lavish surrounding in a 5* hotel I will be blowing into Taipei for 5 nights 6 days after a couple weeks of vacation in Korea to see friends there. I'm going to be taking advantage of the wonderful pricing of Business class flights out of Taipei like i did this past december when I returned from Korea after being there for half a year on study abroad. I was only in Taipei for just 3 days then however. I want to have a bit more time in Taiwan this time. I hope to have fun

Old Apr 13, 2008, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Sherwood is excellent - superb service. The decor is classic grand hotel which is a little overblown for my tastes, but the rooms are exceedingly comfortable. Sheraton has refurbished rooms, but the service wasn't so good and the hotel just didn't feel as nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.