Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

YWG Four Points, Winnipeg, Manitoba [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YWG Four Points, Winnipeg, Manitoba [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2008, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Arrow YWG Four Points, Winnipeg, Manitoba [Master Thread]

Any recent experiences at the Winnipeg Airport Four Points? Yes, I did a search, and found nothing within the last couple of years, w/ even older posts pointing to the extinction of a Sheraton- & Westin- Winnipeg.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Last December

Stayed there with my family December of 2007 for a single night. The staff at checkin was exceedingly friendly and helpful. The room (we had one with two queens) is a little dated but very clean. Ours had a microwave (we had brought popcorn) and a fridge. There is not a movie system on the TV, so instead you receive free dvd rentals from a machine in the lobby.

The machine was having a hard time dispensing our movie, but the desk staff is able to access the movies manually so no problems there.

We didnt use any of the other services of the hotel, but as far as airport four points hotels I have stayed at lately, it is among the best.

Best part is if you are flying into or out of Winnipeg you can get from your room to your gate in 5 minutes when there is no line up at security. Even quicker when arriving!

Parking for guests was $7 per night if I recall correctly, and considering the airport parking rate is over $14 per day, it is a great deal.

Bottom line, this Four Points is exactly as advertised.

I didn't take a whole lot of photos of this hotel, but those I did can be found here.

Last edited by Golden Toque; Apr 7, 2008 at 11:31 pm Reason: Added link to photos
Old Apr 8, 2008, 3:38 am

Programs: AC-100k, MR LTT
I stay here about 4-5 times per year and recommend it highly. As the post above mentions, the convenience for flying in and out can't be beat, the staff are good, and the rooms are a decent size for an airport hotel. Again, for an airport hotel, the food isn't bad, either.

I get better rates and service at this 4P than I get from the Hilton a few blocks away from the airport.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Thanks for the info.!
Good to know!
Old Apr 10, 2008, 7:34 am

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
A second 4 Pts is coming to Winnipeg in the next 12-months. It is a conversion of a Holiday Inn on Pembina Hwy near the Perimeter Hwy.

Originally Posted by skye1
Any recent experiences at the Winnipeg Airport Four Points? Yes, I did a search, and found nothing within the last couple of years, w/ even older posts pointing to the extinction of a Sheraton- & Westin- Winnipeg.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Yay... however seeing I live in Winnipeg, and it is 5 blocks from my parents house, I probably wont stay there. But it might be great for a Matress Run or Two.

d.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 6:13 pm

Programs: AC-100k, MR LTT
Stays at the end of May...slight decline in quality?

I stayed here twice last month and noticed some minor issues.

The quality of food and service in the restaurant seems to have declined somewhat, even as the prices have risen noticeably. Prices are starting to look like those in a nice steakhouse, while being far from the same quality. Breakfast, on the other hand, remains very good and more reasonably priced and that's what I eat most often there.

On my most recent visit, the parking lot was chaotic for two days in a row. They are having some sort of issue with the gates, leading to lengthy delays (>20 minutes) in being able to exit the lot and a few of us ended up late for meetings.

They hadn't sorted the issue before I left, though hopefully they have by now.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 7:18 am

Programs: Just a kettle now :)
Thumbs up

Stayed here on a free weekend night a couple of days ago. The building is definitely showing its age, although this seems to be the norm for the buildings around YWG in general. As a platinum, I got upgraded to a nice, spacious room with separate bedroom, two televisions, a little kitchenette and living room. The room was very well maintained and comfortable.

All in all, this property gets a ^ from me. Very convenient location across the street from the airport, friendly staff, and comfortable furnishings make this a winner for me.

-RS.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 2:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood Plt, Hilton Gold (got it free) AC Elite, Fairmont Plt, Priority Club Plt
Priority Check-in

I have stayed at this property on a number of occasions and generally have had positive experiences.

Last night arrived at the property later in the evening. Large line up to check in and a very busy lobby. I made my way to area that has a sign for gold and platinum members. After the front desk person was finished with another guest, I asked if I could have assistance. He abruptly advised that there is no preference for any guests and told me to go to the back of the line. He then turned to the guest in the regular line and apologized for my interruption and said we don't give preference here.

At this point I asked him why they had a designated line up if it is not to be used. He stated "Starwood makes us have the sign but we don't staff it of give any preference to starwood guests" I suggested that as they have a sign then he should honor it. He then again apologized to a guest inline for my expectations and checked me in making it clear that this property won't do this.

The next morning I spoke to the front office manager who was very polite, apologized for how the situation was handled, but also advised they have the sign because they have to but don't staff it as they can't when it is busy. I pointed out the value of this line up is when the property is busy. I suggested they either remove the sign or place another sign in the area saying the priority line is closed. I pointed out that I have been at other properties that have closed the line at certain times (Sheraton Gateway, Toronto) He indicated this made sense and he would discuss this with the general manager.

While I would not normally purse this, I felt being treated abruptly and from my perspective rudely in front of other guests was inappropriate. I also felt that creating expectations by having a posted designated area for frequent guests is not a good practice if it is not in use.

I will stay at this property again in the future, and while I post this, I again say that generally my experience at this location has been positive.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 9:34 pm

Programs: SPG Platium, PC Ambassador & Platium, Aeroplan Elite
I stayed at this property about 10 times last year. The service is excellent and staff is very helpful. They do upgrade plat members and offer free breakfast. The restaurant service is acceptable.

For those who are interested in nice restaurant for dinner that is close to the airport. Go try "Chops" at the Sandman hotel. Most of my coworkers perfer the Sandman over the Four Points because of "Chops".
Old Jan 3, 2011, 10:36 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
I stayed here probably a dozen times last year as a P. Most times, but not always, I was offered an upgrade and was rarely offered breakfast. When I was, it was when I was not upgraded and it was for their continental offering.

Chops is good, sort of an upscale Keg. It is a 5 min drive from the hotel.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 5:46 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Always stay here for a night when in the Peg. Great rooms and convenience to the airport.

Just wondering, does anyone know if there are plans for an SPG property downtown? Since the old Sheraton closed I stay at the Inn at the Forks, which is nice but would much prefer a Starwoods property.

I noticed there is a new FPoints, but not downtown. It would be nice to have an SPG property downtown again! Used to love the mattress hop on 2 or three night stays!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:27 am

Programs: AC SE100K
I stay at this hotel a few times a year.. Pretty decent.. One day I showed up to 16 pillows on the bed.. Was a bit strange
Old Jan 6, 2011, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wallease
I stayed at this property about 10 times last year. The service is excellent and staff is very helpful. They do upgrade plat members and offer free breakfast. The restaurant service is acceptable.

For those who are interested in nice restaurant for dinner that is close to the airport. Go try "Chops" at the Sandman hotel. Most of my coworkers perfer the Sandman over the Four Points because of "Chops".
Originally Posted by IsleTraveller
I stayed here probably a dozen times last year as a P. Most times, but not always, I was offered an upgrade and was rarely offered breakfast. When I was, it was when I was not upgraded and it was for their continental offering.

Chops is good, sort of an upscale Keg. It is a 5 min drive from the hotel.
Instead of going to Chops, try Rae and Jerry's a Winnipeg institution just about 5-10 minutes drive further past the Sandman. Located just on the other side of Polo Park Mall on Portage Avenue.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kingeddy
Always stay here for a night when in the Peg. Great rooms and convenience to the airport.

Just wondering, does anyone know if there are plans for an SPG property downtown? Since the old Sheraton closed I stay at the Inn at the Forks, which is nice but would much prefer a Starwoods property.

I noticed there is a new FPoints, but not downtown. It would be nice to have an SPG property downtown again! Used to love the mattress hop on 2 or three night stays!
Would be nice but they haven't built a new hotel downtown in about 10-15 years.....They just seem to rebrand the existing hotels every 5-10 years or so!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.