Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Westport Chalet/Plaza St Louis [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Westport Chalet/Plaza St Louis [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 1999, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Arrow Sheraton Westport Chalet/Plaza St Louis [Master Thread]

Has anyone else ever stayed at this property? It was one of the absolutely worst hotel stays I have ever had. Everyone was polite in his or her respective incompetence and excuses, but it only got worse until I left, earlier than planned.
Old Sep 20, 1999, 12:43 pm
Original Member

I've stayed at the sheraton's at westport 6 or 7 times and had nothing but good experiences. I do typically stay at the Lakeside inn rather than the plaza.

I do wish they started their airport service a little earlier in the AM.
Old May 21, 2003, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
The Sheraton Westport was just about the most horrible hotel I have ever stayed in. (Ok, I'll restrict that to a hotel part of a "quality" chain). I have stayed there twice - once was bad, once was just awful, and the manager received a detailed constructive letter from which I received no response whatsoever. (It was quite awhile ago, Lurker, so don't worry...)
Old May 21, 2003, 2:59 pm

How far away are the other starwood hotels to the westport area..???

More specificly, to the 270-Page Ave area.?

Old May 22, 2003, 3:18 am

I stayed at the Westin there - very nice hotel and fully recommended. Not sure how far it is from your location though.
Old May 22, 2003, 6:37 am

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
As mentioned, there is a Sheraton at Westport. Never stayed there, but have only gone to a meeting. The advantage of Westport is that there are a number of restaurants/bars/nightclubs all within a small, centrally located area.

The nicest Starwood is the relatively new Westin downtown, by Busch Stadium. It's probably a 30 minute drive from 270/Page, against traffic, but not that close.

There's also a pretty new Sheraton Suites on the edge of downtown, across the street from the arena. Big rooms, but again, a 30 minutes from 270/Page.

A little closer is the Sheraton in Clayton, which is the "new downtown" area with lots of restaurants. It's probably 10-15 minutes away. Haven't stayed there before, so don't know about quality.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 5:10 am

Programs: United 1K, American Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, and Hilton Silver
Stayed there July 4th Weekend

I used my spend $3000 upgrade so we'd have an extra room for a 1 year old at the "chalet". When I checked in, the room was not upgraded -- but the front desk associate did inform me that she could see where someone at SPG made the note that the upgrade had been guaranteed (one of those it's not our fault, it's their fault rants -- which tick me off because in my eyes it's all the same company). I politely took the "we're sorry" and figured I'd take it up with SPG later -- then checked into my room to find out it was the worst smelling hotel room I'd ever been in. After switching to what can only be described as the 2nd worst hotel room ever, I opened the balcony door (to try and let some fresh air in) and found a pile of cat food sitting there (combining this with the photographer's pass hanging from one of the lights, it made me wonder what the heck the cleaning crew actually did clean). After sharing the overall experience with the hotel manager, they managed to find me a somewhat better (it didn't smell) room. After requesting a bellman to help me with the move, after 30 minutes, I decided to do it myself. It was among my 2 worst *wood experiences...

Having written all of this, there is a new Westin in downtown St. Louis (about 30 - 40 minutes from Westport - where the Sheratorns are) -- it's a pretty nice property and if you're a slave to the *wood points, then that's where I'd stay in the Gatway City. However, this experience is making me realize I need to get status somewhere else so I'm not so attached to *wood.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Sheraton Downtown

Don't forget about the Sheraton St. Louis (City Center). It's right on the freeway that cuts through town, and has GREAT rooms! Huge!

FWIW, this was an old warehouse (so was the Westin for that matter). They literally cut out the middle of the structure to create the atriums.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 7:33 pm

Programs: starwood platinum
BLAH BLAH on this hotel

I stayed there on a saturday night to visit some friends and it was the worst experience in a hotel stay. Pre-arrival I was already upgraded to a multi-room suite which was supposed to be locked in. When I arrived I still proceeded to ask if there was any more room for advancement. The lady at the desk, who was very helpful the whole night told me that there was a wedding party staying and the only chance was if there was a cancellation. I had no problems with that, so i went to my suite ( room ) and it was about 15 x 24 feet with a big pole right in the middle of the room. At first I thought it was an adjacent room to the parlor. It wasn't. So I called her up and told her that I was supposed to have a suite and this wasn' it. After about 20 minutes the finally came up with a room key the the room across the hall. I walked in and it was almost like a presidential suite. It had a nice bar, three couches right in front of a 42" plasma t.v., lounge chairs, but then I tried to open the adjacent door and it was locked. So I called down and she told me that this was it and that those rooms were booked for the wedding party. Well then I looked around and noticed that there was no where to sleep, no murphy bed or anything, and to inform you that there were three of us staying there. So she said that one of the rooms might become available and she will see what she can do. Well we had to leave for the evening and I told her that and she said that it would definately be fixed, so we left. We got back at about 3 a.m., walked in the room and saw that all the sofas were pushed together and they brought a bed up and squeezed it onto a spot near the wall. Laughing at this I called down and asked if they were serious and this guy had no idea what was going on. Well to shorten this I guess, the three of us stayed in this room, and there were no more blankets, rollaway beds, nothing available in this hotel.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 2:46 pm

I decided not to change my reservations at the Lakeside Chalet and stayed there for 2 nights. The suite was quite nice, but there were problems. We originally were staying for one night but decided to stay an extra night to do some gambling. We had our dog with us and I had Starwood check ahead of time and found out they do allow pets and that there wasn't an extra fee for pets (be careful of this, just because a hotel allows pets does not mean there isn't a fee). Starwood said there was not a fee. I went to the front desk to make sure that if I redeemed points for a second night we would be in the same suite. I was told that we may not be, but that they would move our luggage. I said that would be a problem because we would be gone in the daytime and our dog would be in the room asleep. I was then told that the nightly fee for a pet was $100. I said I was told that there wasn't a fee and that their website only said there was a deposit, nothing about a nonrefundable deposit. He said he would waive the fee for that night, but if we stayed for a second night we would be charged the $100. I said we would not be staying. I went back to the room and called Starwood and asked if there was an extra charge for pets. Again I was told no. I said I wanted to let her know that there was a $100 charge. She looked furthed and found that there was, only it wasn't listed where the hotel should have listed it. I said it's ok, it was waived for tonight, and we just wouldn't stay the extra night. She said that didn't make sense. We were already in the room with our dog, what's the difference if we stay one or two nights? She offered to call the hotel and see what she could do. She did, and the fee was waived for both nights.

I would say that the balconys are sorely in need of a cleaning and a paint job.

When we were checking our I asked the lady, in her opinion which had the better suites, the Lakeside Chalet or the Westport Plaza. She said the Westport Plaza, but that the suites are only one room, as opposed to the two rooms at the Chalets.

I would stay there again, but next time we are going to give the Westport Plaza a try.
Old Aug 12, 2004, 5:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DullesFlyer
.....(one of those it's not our fault, it's their fault rants -- which tick me off because in my eyes it's all the same company).....
Actually they are not the same company. Starwood only manages it. My advice to anybody travelling to St Louis is to stay away from the Westport and Chalet. The Clayton Plaza is marginal.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 12:47 am

Over the years I have stayed in a half-dozen hotels in and around Westport and I can't think of a single one that particularly impressed me.

FWIW, I have heard good things about the Westin and the Sheraton downtown.

- RightD
Old Jan 5, 2005, 8:44 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I disagree

Hi,

Just doing a search for my frequent hotels to add comments, and came across this string.

I have to disagree with the majority of comments here, I personally enjoy the Sheraton Westport! I've stayed there every week since April 1st last year and can honestly say I have had maybe 5 complaints the whole time. The management, Julie Baumann, Kim Robinson and Megan Worth in particular, have been great with our booking requests and even though they are at at 100%+ capacity every week, I have been upgraded every week that I can remember, sometimes even arriving at 11 PM. Suites are not uncommon and the complimentary Ballys pass is a great way to pass an evening.

While I will agree that this isn't a great property for leisure stays (it's a conference spot and business traveler mainstay), I fail to see how this is any worse than any other sub-$100 hotel in the country. If you are here for a weekend, the Sheraton Clayton and the Westin St Louis are in far better locations for entertainment, but if you are looking for a good quality business traveler hotel, the Sheraton Westport is a good call.

IMHO, the Plaza is a nicer treat for Plats, with wifi access on the top 2 floors primarily (not advertised - from the lounge) and indoor access to most of the Westport restaurants. The Chalets are nice as well, but not as many perks for Plats, that said, the suites in the Chalets are decent.

If you are in town, let me know, I'm always here

T.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 9:27 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Arrow Sheratons Westport St Louis

IS their much difference between the Two hotels at Wesport, STL? I am going their in a couple of weeks and prices are the same, not sure which to choose. It looks like a great location as I was in that area a couple of weeks ago, but did not get a room.
Thanks,
Troy
Old Jun 23, 2007, 11:01 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Neither one really stands out in terms of being better than the other. Both have the upgraded Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bedding, but both properties are dated beyond that. Both claim to be newly renovated, but I have found the carpets and general furniture in both to be quite worn with carpet stains in mass quantity. Climate control is loud and the windows of the tower let a large amount of noise in from the highway just outside.

Chalet has a configuration that offers patios/balcony's on some of the rooms. Chalet has outdoor pool where the Plaza has the indoor (worth noting in that the website for these two properties list features that are actually at the other property...for example, Chalet lists an outdoor and indoor pool, but to use the indoor pool, you have to go over to the Plaza property where it is actually located...same thing with Car Rental Desk, it is listed as a feature for the Chalet but is actually at the Plaza). Both have a club floor though.

Due to the lack of cleanliness and upkeep I have experienced, I would likely not return to either one with the other nearby options available (although not necessarily in the starwood family) especially when the alternatives pricing is in line, if not better than the two Westport Sheratons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.