Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > India-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Hyderabad Airport review: PVG-SIN-HYD-VGA-HYD-SIN-NRT-PVG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2008, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k

I flew PVG->SIN->HYD->VGA->HYD->SIN->NRT->PVG on SQ and NH and HYD-VGA (IT). This was my first time in J on SQ/NH and I wonder why I fly united. I guess I'd rate them in the order of SQ and then NH and somewhere way down below would be UA.

On all the flights the service was consistent, high quality and attention to detail was there. I had BTC on my SIN to HYD flight and choose the lobster and it was great (although I'm not the best food critic in the world).

Once I got to the airport, I was underwhelmed by the size. Maybe I had too much expectation and was trying to compare it to all the other new terminals coming up like Pudong T2 and Beijing. Other than that, it is heaven compared to older airport with better streamlined luggage carousels, spacious, quick immigration, etc. It took me less than 5 mins to go through immigration. Once I got out, didn't wait for more than 10 - 15mins for luggage and there were enough working luggage trolleys and there were airport staff handing them out.

Hearing all the horror stories about how long it takes to get to the city, I was prepared for few hrs but was pleasantly surprised that it didn't take more than 50 mins (midnight) to go into city. There were metered taxis waiting outside and it was easy to get one. I guess it would depend on which part of the city but mine came to around 33kms. This is not much different from pudong where airport is around the same distance and takes little less. Once the highway is built up connecting airport to city, it will be a breeze getting into city.

I took flight next morning from the domestic section connecting to VGA and my taxi ride to the airport took around same time at 8am. Checkin was a breeze with lots of checkin counters and they have counters associated with each destination. I don't have anything to add for the roundtrip on IT except that they are really good and surprised at the fact that they manage to squeeze in a snack service for a 45 min flight.

Heading back to PVG, had trouble at checkin as they couldn't pull up my itinerary without the PNR and my Blackberry went dead at same time. Finally managed to squeeze out the last bit of juice in the BB and managed to get the PNR from email. I guess there are multiple systems operational and one system cannot look up based on passengers information and only works with PNR

Getting through customs was again quick and they have special lanes for business/first class which was great. I don't think it made much difference but would be helpful at peak travel times. They are at the right side of the customs/immigration counter. ^ There is duty free with much better collection than earlier airport and much bigger. There was a shop that sold bags and one that sold clothes by the brand "shapes". If you want to get your last minute fix of hyderabad biryani, there is one inside (although I forget if it is inside domestic or international wing).

Once I got in had some trouble finding the lounge as it is at lower level than departures and you have to find the right elevator. I managed to get in the wrong elevator which wouldn't open in the lower floor as it is still under construction. Premium plaza lounge is at gate 32B and the lounge card that they give at checkin has clear information.

Food in the lounge seemed to be the standard fare in any indian lounge. They had chicken sandwich although the bread was croissant, potato patties, some fruits and nuts and some spicy kurkure (not sure if its the right word).
They had whisky, rum, etc but no wine. In all it seemed better than RCC with its food collection but wouldn't compare it SQ or NH lounges. There is Wi-Fi but its not free and you need to have an account with Tata-Indicom. Luckily I have IPass and its covered under that. I think you can also buy a one time pass. For boarding you've to go back one level up and they made an announcement in the lounge at boarding time. They have special lanes for business class passengers and dual jetways.

Overall I think its a well run airport which will get better as more shops open up and they iron out the kinks.

Few words of caution.
- Make sure you take a printout of your itinerary as security at entrance won't let you in without it and SQ does not have a counter outside to get one. I managed to sneak in and when I complained to agents, they said that security was already notified to let passengers in.
- Departing for international flights is at second entrance. So if you are taking a taxi to airport, ask them to take you departure level (2nd) and then get off at 2nd entrance. There are lots of people blocking the entrances and trying to get from 1st to 2nd was not easy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.