Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Fuerstenhof, Leipzig, Germany [No longer Marriott-affiliated]

Old Jul 17, 2003, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Just returned from a trip including all Starwood properties in eastern Germany with the exception of the Westin Leipzig where I (only) saw the entrance hall and the business centre.

As there are not too many reviews of these properties on FT, I thought I'd share my experiences.

Hotel Fuerstenhof, Leipzig (Luxury Collection)

Beautiful property dating back to the 18th century. Classy public spaces with marble and antiquities all over the place. Hotel faces a very heavy traffic road, on the plus side it's only a five minutes walk from the main train station and there's a bridge crossing the street right in front of the hotel. After that it's a two minute walk to the city centre. Interestingly, the new Westin Leipzig (former Interconti) is only a three minute walk away, too.

Was upgraded to a nice and huge room, a junior suite, I suppose. Everything was as I expected from a Luxury Collection property except for the TV which had bad reception and a sound error. Called front desk about it and someone came up but basically said they are aware of the problem and could do nothing about it. I found that unsatisfactory at best.

Another problem I had was that I had to go online but didn't have my laptop with me. So I paid 10 euro for a prepaid-card to use the hotels "business centre" which really was a very tiny former telephone box. The internet station was operated by a third party and the web browser was obviously a) non-standard and b) couldn't even handle spg.com. So I had to walk the the Westin and use their business centre - and pay for it in addition to the 10 euro I just paid at the Fuerstenhof and didn't get back. I found the whole process quite irritating. Front desk staff wasn't very helpful either. That came as a bit of a surprise as the other shift was exceptionally friendly and efficient.

On the other hand, I got to see the Westin Leipzig which I don't think I can really recommend. I knew it when it was an Interconti but always thought that it had quite ugly rooms. It is one of the few German Starwoods with a club lounge, though.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 24, 2008 at 10:20 pm Reason: Copied from another thread
Old Nov 8, 2003, 9:49 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Hotel Fürstenhof Leipzig

Status recognition
Platinum status recognition was perfect and worked automatically: upgrade to a Junior Suite, amenity (water, fruits, box of chocolates), newspaper the next morning.

Room
The room was very nice. Two very comfortable armchairs and a wodden table were the eye-catcher in the middle of the room.

The bathroom was spacious and I liked it very much (wood combined with glass and mirrors). There was an additional door which separated the loo and the feet/wash basin from the main bathroom. Heated towel rack and separate tube/shower were other pluses. And not to forget: amenities were from Bvlgari .

Health Club
The health club had a very nice pool, bar, dry sauna, steam sauna, solarium, and a gym. There was a separate lift directly into the health club.

+ Status recognition
+ Excellent Buffet Breakfast (very high quality of the food)
+ many big(ger) rooms as can be seen on the hotelmap
+ nice room and wonderful bathroom with Bvlgari amenities
- no clock in the room

The Fürstenhof is a rather small hotel providing excellent service and a special ambience (IMO, they found a good mix of tradition and modern colours/furnitures). The stay was very pleasant and the Fürstenhof has become one of my favourite Starwood properties now.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 24, 2008 at 10:21 pm Reason: copied from another thread
Old Nov 10, 2003, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Very nice - I had that room at the Fuerstenhof, too. One thing to keep in mind when requesting this otherwise excellent room is that it faces the (very noisy) street and it is therefore impossible to sleep with the windows open.

Moritz
Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Eastern Germany

Hotel Fürstenhof Leipzig

I must have had this same room (105) during my recent 2-night saty at the Hotel Fürstenhof. The large room was ~25'X25', of which the bathroom was ~10'X15'. I would rate this hotel and room as the best among Westin Dresden, Weimar Elephant, and ArabellaSheraton Grand Munich.

The staff was very nice and no lines at Check-in and check-out. I had booked a 119 euro Endless Weekend rate and called SPG Platinum desk before the trip to inquire about breakfast. I was told breakfast was included by SPG Platinum Concierge. However, I was told that the room rate at check-out did not include breakfast. I discussed this with the front desk manager and he immediately agreed to take the breakfast charges off my invoice. Very nice customer service.

The only negative about this hotel is the old TV.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 24, 2008 at 10:23 pm Reason: copied from another thread
Old Apr 24, 2008, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Stayed at the Westin leipzig for four days. Room was small but nicely decorated. Free internet in the room; it has T-mobile hot spot too, but reasonable priced at 29 euros for 30 days. Breakfast was good. I'm plat and did not get free breakfast. Other than 500 amenity points and nicer room, there is no plat benefit to speak of. The Westin is a blend hotel that you can find anywhere.

After checking out, I went to Hotel Fuerstenhof. I was upgraded to a large suite on 4th floor, facing the main street. The windows were really well built. I can hear no noise from the busy street. The bed was very comfortable, and I had a great sleep. The bathroom was all marble with top quality materials and construction. The lobby has a small hotel atmosphere. The dining room for breakfast was elegant and intimate. Service was excellent. The manager recognized me by name on the first I met him. He said "I know all my guests". I was impressed. I asked to see the famous Serpentine room, and the desk gladly opened and showed to me. This hotel is historic, very special, and very worth visiting. This hotel is really a gem in starwood.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 5:37 pm
Community Director Emerita

There are very old reports of complimentary breakfast being given to platinums. What is the current practice?

How far is it from the airport? and about how much is a taxi?

How far is it to the train station?
Old Aug 9, 2009, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
There are very old reports of complimentary breakfast being given to platinums. What is the current practice?

How far is it from the airport? and about how much is a taxi?

How far is it to the train station?
It's at the utmost 500 Meters from Central Station. The airport is about 20 km from the hotel. Taxis in Leipzig are quite cheap. Fare from the airport to the hotel should be in the range of 25 Euro
Old Aug 9, 2009, 12:49 am

Programs: LH FTL, UA 1K MM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
No complimentary breakfast for plats (JUL2009 stay)
no coffee / tea making facilities in the room
Beware of so called upgrades to so called suites under the rooftop (floor 5). The A/C will not be strong enough to keep these rooms somewhat cool on hot summer days.
I booked the Marriott again for my next stay in Leipzig next week!
Old Aug 9, 2009, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by tmeyer
No complimentary breakfast for plats (JUL2009 stay)
no coffee / tea making facilities in the room
Beware of so called upgrades to so called suites under the rooftop (floor 5). The A/C will not be strong enough to keep these rooms somewhat cool on hot summer days.
I booked the Marriott again for my next stay in Leipzig next week!
I do not know about "so called suites", however, the upgrade I got at this property to a suite on first floor were excellent. I do not expect to get free breakfast so I cannot be disappointed. However, there a plenty of bakery shops and coffee shops close to this hotel so I cannot get disappointed. A/C? Don't know abouit it. I do not have a/c at home so I do not miss it at all.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 6:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Leaving the railway station through the main exit, the hotel is roughly 500 meters to the right following the main street and light rail tracks. You can also take the light rail for one stop, the hotel is vis a vis from the first stop.

No free bf, the otherwise excellent spa is in need of some renovations as well, steam room not working for months now, but is open until 10 p.m.

Give them a call in advance to get an idea how fully booked they are in order to get a hint if upgrades might be available.

If they are booked pretty solid, the Westin is the better option.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 2:49 am

Programs: US Air, AA, starwood gold, hilton gold, priority club
I am lowly gold, but spent two nights here last week and it was a lovely hotel with excellent, friendly service and great location.
We arrived by train (it may be the largest, or second largest station in Europe--it has 140 shops in a mall-like setting) and just walked outside, turned right and followed the main Ring Road around until we got to the hotel. I was told I got an upgrade to a better room, but I didn't see any others. Ours was on the third floor and looked out onto a lovely inner courtyard. I would not recommend a front room as the street outside is full of traffic.
The bathroom was extremely modern and nice, but the room decor had a sort of old fashioned look, with quite low beds and large windows that opened, but had no screens for bugs. The AC system was great, even though we were there on two hot days, and we slept well at night.

There is no coffeemaker to make some in the morning, but there is a mini bar fridge with room in it to put something. The tv was not flat screen in our room, but it was fine. Only one or two news channels in English. Internet was too expensive for us to pay for but when we asked for an internet cafe to check email, we were led to a place in AugustusPlatz --a bit of distance away by foot,but in the center of things--which apparantly has closed down and there are none in the area at all.

The variety of shops and cafes and things to do and walk, etc is great near the hotel and you can find a variety of cheap breakfasts and lunches,etc. The Starbucks near the Augustusplatz had free Wifi if you have your own laptop. They give you a number to call on your cell phone, and then you get a text back with a code that you can use for an hour.

We went down to the pool, which has a grotto-like feel and not a soul was there for three hours on a Sunday afternoon. There is no jacuzzi as far as I saw, but a little gym.

We loved Leipzig--it is a beautiful, quiet, orderly and friendly place.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 10:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by Hanlgt
I am lowly gold, but spent two nights here last week and it was a lovely hotel with excellent, friendly service and great location.
I was told I got an upgrade to a better room, but I didn't see any others. Ours was on the third floor and looked out onto a lovely inner courtyard.
Honestly, do not take your upgrade for granted, they have some really really small rooms that makes you believe that the Luxury Collection branding is a poor joke.

Did your room have a desk?

The smallest rooms do not even have a desk and only one small lounge chair.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 1:51 pm

Programs: US Air, AA, starwood gold, hilton gold, priority club
Well, then we had a nice upgrade! Because my room had a desk and was rather large for European standards. In fact, I noted that it reminded me of the Sheraton at the Dom Cathedral in Cologne--in style and look--except this one had more space than the room we had in Cologne. Both those rooms have beds that are low to the ground for some reason.

Also on a side note, I am not a particular fan of the European glass half-door in the shower/bathtub as each time I use it I manage to get the bathroom floor pretty wet--and I have yet to totally understand the exact benefit.

But we really liked our stay at this hotel.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 1:41 pm

Programs: Miles&More Senator , EX-SPG Platinum now Bonvoy LTP, IC Platinum , Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Very nice Hotel stayed here once this year. Will be back next year to Leipzig and my choice will be Fuerstenhof instead of Westin.

Very nice relaxing area even if there is no daylight. This Hotel is made for couples with some old stuff inside.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 9:26 pm

Hi all, wondering if anybody has had any recent experiences at this property?
Planning to do a trip to Eastern Germany visiting Dresden Leipzig Weimar Nuremberg. Thanks in advance! ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.