Search

Travelling with teenage niece

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2008, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA-Gold, BD-*G, Hilton-Diamond, IHG-Plat-AMB
Travelling with teenage niece

Ok, first of all she really, really is my sisters daughter

I've just booked to take my 16 year old niece Laura to NY in June to celebrate the end of her GCSE's.

I appreciate that she can travel unaccompanied and sign her own Visa Waiver to gain entry into the US but I wonder does anyone have any experience of problems with the US CBP guys when entering with younger family members.

Do you think I should take some sort of signed authority from my sister confirming my right to travel with Laura or shouldn't there be any problems

Andy
Old Apr 26, 2008, 4:20 pm
fomerly CoachBoy

Programs: United Premier Platinum, British Airways Silver
An adult travelling with a minor who does not have the same last name will twig suspicion. This may sound like overkill, but having gone through hell multiple times trying to get a younger sister on flights (we have the same last name), I would have a signed, possibly notarized letter, from both her parents giving you expressed permission to take her on the trip. Most of the problems I've faced have been with the airlines themselves, and not the countries upon entry, but I did have an awful 6 hour ordeal at the US embassy in London in December. Granted if you sign your own forms and are on seperate PNR's, you'll have no issues at all. Notarizing the letter would require an appointment in Grosvenor Square, which is an ordeal in itself.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have to say I think you would get a much better response if you posted a couple of pics.
I also have to say that taking a 16 year old to celebrate in a place where you need to be 21 to consume alcohol is little short of criminal.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 12:21 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
My brother-in-law had this problem last year in NYC with my 10 year old daughter. Basically I went on the first LHR to EWR flight that day and the mother-in-law and brother-in-law on the one a few hours later with my daughter.

So he went thru US Immigration with my daughter and she has a different last name to his. Much questioning resulted - quite aggressively he recalls. He tried to explain that I had entered the US just a few hours earlier, also thru EWR and I had also booked the flights for everyone. They were both held for about 30-40 minutes without their passports "whilst checks were done".

I can only assume the Immigration people checked the earlier BA flight pax list to confirm I had arrived and maybe even with BA that all the bookings were made by me with my CC. Not sure what would have happened if I hadn't also been on that trip - which was a possibility at one time as my daughter was originally just going to NYC with her nan and uncle and it had never occurred to me this could be a problem.

Anyway, all was OK in the end - but if we ever travel separately again I will certainly investigate whether I should sign something for my daughter to produce at immigration.

Last edited by BOH; Apr 27, 2008 at 12:28 am
Old Apr 27, 2008, 2:36 am

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Originally Posted by CoachBoy
An adult travelling with a minor who does not have the same last name will twig suspicion. This may sound like overkill, but having gone through hell multiple times trying to get a younger sister on flights (we have the same last name), I would have a signed, possibly notarized letter, from both her parents giving you expressed permission to take her on the trip.
Agreed. Border control agencies are on the lookout for girls who are being "trafficked", so having a signed "notarized" letter from the girl's parents authorising her to leave the country and for you to accompany her would be a prudent move.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 2:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have had this issue with my own son (same name, etc) as I take my son skiing in Canada (my husband doesn't come as he doesn't ski) a couple of times each year. My son's 12 and taller than I so clearly unlikely to be being coerced, although I suppose when he was younger it could have been different. The border control people usually just ask him a few questions: where are you going, how long for, where's you Dad, does he live with you, why isn't he with you, does he know you're here.. (once he was asked are you a skier or a snowboarder) and let us through. I have been asked a couple of times why I do not simply get a notarised letter, but have always pointed out that getting a notarised letter is not simple in the UK as the UK legal system is different. In North America you can just walk into a notary's office and pay $50. In the UK you have to use a solicitor who can charge you £250 or more. When I explain this, they are usually rather understanding, so it could be worth trying this tack in the US. One Canadian official suggested I just bring a letter unnotarised (which I thought seemed a bit pointless as it could so easily be forged and might actually be more suspicious as it would look more contrived..) but I may do that next year to show willing.

My son and I have been to NY on our own a couple or times and not had an issue at JFK but we both have a reasonable number of US stamps on our passports so it is clear we both go in and out a lot and I think this may be what makes them more relaxed. It is also quite possible (as previous posters have alluded to) that double standards apply and they are less concerned as he is a boy. (I am not suggesting they should be but can imagine that they are.)

Last edited by ella2001; Apr 27, 2008 at 8:20 am
Old Apr 27, 2008, 4:38 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
if she is 16 she can go through immigration and customs in her own right, my son travelled with my brother, different surnames and went through immigration at PHL fine at the age of 13 on his own, he got more hassle coming back through LHR. it might be different for young girls, no one in their right mind would traffic a grumpy monosyllabic teenage boy. The drinking thing is precisely the reason that my last school did a y11 trip to NY they knew there was no chance of them getting drunk in a bar
Old Apr 27, 2008, 8:05 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

This query has received some quality feedback on the BA Forum. Time to move it over to its rightful home in TravelBuzz! where it will benefit from a wider audience.

A marker will remain on the BA forum, allowing BA regulars to follow and provide additional contributions.

Prospero
on behalf of the British Airways Executive Club moderator team
Old Apr 27, 2008, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

It's not just "trafficking" that's of concern. It's also that the child is being kidnapped by a divorced spouse with only temporary (i.e. weekend or summer) custody, even with the child's acquiescence. In the OP's case, the concern would be that the child was being kidnapped by the OP at the mother's behest. Best to get a notarized statement from both parents giving permission. If only one parent is still living, I would get a notarized letter from the living one which states that the other parent is deceased, and bring along a copy of the pertinent death certificate. It might be overkill, but an investment of a few hours upfront could prevent an unfortunate situation down the road.

A U.S. embassy or consulate might be able to provide guidance as well, perhaps even over the phone. One can also send an Email to [email protected], and see if the U.S. Department of State will provide guidance that way.

Last edited by guv1976; Apr 27, 2008 at 8:53 am
Old Apr 27, 2008, 9:15 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Travel With Children Forum.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Apr 27, 2008, 12:34 pm

Also, get consent letter from both parents to allow you to authorize medical care for her if needed.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks

Many thanks for all the input here.

It really shows the cultural differences between the US and UK where teenagers are concerned. In the UK 16 year olds are pretty much adults, they can leave home and make their own decisions here but by the looks of things in the US are still treated as children.

I will, as suggested, get her parents to sign a confirmation she is travelling with me legitimately and get a JP to notarise it.

Again, many thanks

Andy
Old Apr 28, 2008, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mshaikun
Also, get consent letter from both parents to allow you to authorize medical care for her if needed.
That's interesting, here in the UK at 16 that consent can only come from the teenager themselves, parents have no input !!

I will indeed have this added to the travel authorisation

Andy
Old Apr 28, 2008, 12:42 pm

Programs: Inventor of the "Eskimojito" featuring Canadian Mint/Buquebus Rowing Team
The sticky at the top of this forum has some good information about documentation and travel with minor children. You might find some additional information here:

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304755

Good luck!

BAMAT
Co-Moderator, Travel with Children

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.