Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club sponsor: Guest / Host Requests and Offers (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Admirals Club sponsor: Guest / Host Requests and Offers (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2008, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 2Ruse
I go along with those who say that entry with a member is free and it's simply a matter of kindness (albeit above and beyond) for them to bring someone else in if entitled to do so.
Look at the number of people outside, and the number inside the club. If everyone outside behaved like you, how satisfying would the club experience be for the members? Or do you feel like it should be only you begging entrance, and that others should not, because you are somehow different?

On a somewhat related issue, there are about 125,000 members on FT. Why not post your name, address, and phone number, along with an invitation for all FT members to be your guest at your home in NYC whenever we visit. It won't cost you anything - you already pay for the home, whether we use it or not.

Maybe it's from growing up in NYC but I don't really feel embarrassed to do it (when I'm desperate to get out of the turmoil on the 'outside'), and for many of us a $50 day pass or annual membership represents a significant outlay - why not at least try to get in for free?
This attitude may not be unique to NYC, but it does seem to be a lot more prevalent there. If you are really desperate, why not consider membership or a day pass to be a special treat?
Old Jul 3, 2008, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by gemac
This attitude may not be unique to NYC, but it does seem to be a lot more prevalent there.
Excuse me?
Old Jul 11, 2008, 1:19 pm

I've been thinking about some of the responses I got to my confession that I do sometimes ask for a member to bring me in as a guest.

There are several interesting points:

1. Do I deserve to be in the club more than the 1,000's of others in the airport? Absolutely not! I'm sure there are passengers who really need the solitude more than I do (e.g. people travelling for distressing reasons). But in this world and perhaps in the travel world most of all, we don't usually get treated as we deserve.

2. What if everyone else did the same and the club became packed with freeloaders? I use up very little space and time in the club - I don't fill my carryon with free food etc., and I usually just sit quietly watching TV, reading a magazine, or using the phone. I guess the same question could be asked about any resource, like emergency rooms. And again - in this world the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

3. How much am I intruding on other people's privacy? This is a legitimate concern. I am polite and understanding (not pushy) if people are worried about trying to bring me in - in fact, I've had some of those folks see me later in the lounge, and say how glad they are that I made it. I see it as a little more aggressive than asking someone for the time, or if they have change of a dollar bill.

4. Would I reciprocate? You better believe it (and I have when I'm the lucky one with guaranteed access)! And I see a few threads on FT for folks to meet up for that very purpose (plus of course to exchange FT information, which sounds to me like a very pleasant way to spend lounge time). In fact, I will be travelling RTW in F on *A early next year and will be very glad to invite FT'ers (or others) into lounges with me. Once I have specific dates, I'll be posting them.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 1:24 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
In fact, I will be travelling RTW in F on *A early next year and will be very glad to invite FT'ers (or others) into lounges with me. Once I have specific dates, I'll be posting them.
Well, as a paying AC member, I'm sorry to hear that you'll be doing that...but you're certainly well within your rights to do so.

Cheers.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
I've been thinking about some of the responses I got to my confession that I do sometimes ask for a member to bring me in as a guest.
What happens when the would-be host reports you to the AAngels?
Old Jul 11, 2008, 3:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Regardless of what you feel or say, the rules are set by American Airlines Admirals Club.

If you're really "desperate to get out of the turmoil on the 'outside'" and it's a priority, you also have the right to purchase a membership. If not, then be prepared to continue with your "mixed results."

I'm consistently adamant on this board about my right to bring in guest(s) in accordance with the rules governing my day of flight (oneworld, AA or Admirals Club membership,) but I am also resistant to guest people in merely because they want to be guested and I want to flaunt that right. (Those I do guest in might be friends, relatives and traveling companions, people I meet whilst traveling who turn quit to be those I feel friendly toward and reciprocate the feeling, share something in common with and wish to extend a favor, etc. but not likely to be someone out of the blue, so to speak, requesting admission.)

If it really doesn't embarrass you to inquire about being guested in, of course you may continue to do so - but don't act too surprised if someone very openly declines your "offer" to allow them to use their paid membership (paid for in membership dues, frequent flying and / or higher fares purchases) to access a membership facility for free and in return for no apparent advantage.

I'd not be too surprised if one or two other members share similar opinions on the matter.

I've tried several times asking people going into a club if I can go in as their guest, with mixed results.

Please note that I'm female (but quite old, with silver hair, and I don't think there's anything inappropriate or misleading about my request on that basis).

I go along with those who say that entry with a member is free and it's simply a matter of kindness (albeit above and beyond) for them to bring someone else in if entitled to do so.

Maybe it's from growing up in NYC but I don't really feel embarassed to do it (when I'm desperate to get out of the turmoil on the 'outside'), and for many of us a $50 day pass or annual membership represents a significant outlay - why not at least try to get in for free?

I don't have an FT tag either but will gladly get one if it will help!

And many many thanks to the kind folks who have agreed to allow me to accompany them into the club (where I'm careful to let them go about their business)!
Old Jul 13, 2008, 2:33 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
I've tried several times asking people going into a club if I can go in as their guest, with mixed results.

Please note that I'm female (but quite old, with silver hair, and I don't think there's anything inappropriate or misleading about my request on that basis).

Maybe it's from growing up in NYC but I don't really feel embarassed to do it (when I'm desperate to get out of the turmoil on the 'outside'), and for many of us a $50 day pass or annual membership represents a significant outlay - why not at least try to get in for free?
I am a native New Yorker and I find this greatly offensive. Perhaps it's a way of thinking that you picked up in some other part of the country.

To answer your question, "why not at least try to get in for free?"

Because it's cheap, undignified, low class and more than likely going to annoy whoever you ask.

Old Jul 13, 2008, 3:01 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
...and for many of us a $50 day pass or annual membership represents a significant outlay...
...I will be travelling RTW in F on *A...
So, to be clear here, buying a $50 day pass would really put you out, but you somehow have the wherewithal to go RTW in F?
Old Jul 13, 2008, 7:52 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I don't see what the hoopla is all about. I have access to the AC via AMEX or status (int'l) and I have never asked to be guested in before I have access. When I go in, I normally never bring a guest other than my wife who has her own credentials. So, I am basically not using my full allocation/rights of # of people in the club. If I get approached the right way, I would guest people in.

Would I ask people to guest me in on other airlines? Probably.

How many people get guested in into all ACs all over the world on a daily basis? 20-30? Do we really care???
Old Jul 13, 2008, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by Deltahater

How many people get guested in into all ACs all over the world on a daily basis? 20-30? Do we really care???
Yes. There are enough bums outside the airport, nobody needs more inside.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 12:37 am

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by bpauker
So, to be clear here, buying a $50 day pass would really put you out, but you somehow have the wherewithal to go RTW in F?
She probably told a sob story about being female and having silver hair, then had the audacity to ask someone to redeem miles for a RTW ticket just because she is from NY. (She reminds me of the old lady from the movie Airport who free-loaded herself into airline clubs and on to numerous flights.) As my travels on AA increased, I decided it was time to buy a membership and have renewed it ever since. When I fly on other airlines, I can choose to either buy a day pass if they have a club or sit out with the masses. As a native New Yorker, I would not ask someone to guest me in because of my sex, age or color of my hair.

I happily guest in my gf, friends, friends of friends and family whenever possible. My nieces and nephew had a blast at the LAX children's room not too long ago. If I was asked by someone like 2Ruse to guest them in just because, all you will get is a Bronx cheer.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Plat, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold
ORD Admirals Club today - I can guest someone at around 4:00 today

Not sure if this is an allowable post or not. Apologies if not.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 2:07 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
While the offer is very nice, think about what would happen if everyone started a thread for every trip they were going to take that had an AC where they could guest someone in. I think it will become clear whether this was appropriate or not.

Cheers.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by SansStatus
Not sure if this is an allowable post or not. Apologies if not.
Great deal. Can you fax me copies of your AAA and Insurance cards, in case I need car or medical care? I have already taken the liberty of changing yoru Netflix address. You can change it back when you need movies.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Deleted

Last edited by GTITAN; Sep 11, 2008 at 4:16 am Reason: Correction of my post by posts 5 and 10!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.