Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Over the water bungalows / villas in the U.S.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Over the water bungalows / villas in the U.S.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Question Over the water bungalows / villas in the U.S.

Does anyone know of any over the water bungalows / villas which are located in the U.S.

Thank you!!
Old Apr 29, 2008, 1:51 pm

I cannot think of a single place with OTW bungalows in the US. I don't believe these are available in Hawaii.
Certainly NOT in the US, but very CLOSEBY, is Bermuda, and there is one resort with OTW bungalows - "9 Beaches".
Old Apr 29, 2008, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Flyingfox
I cannot think of a single place with OTW bungalows in the US. I don't believe these are available in Hawaii.
Certainly NOT in the US, but very CLOSEBY, is Bermuda, and there is one resort with OTW bungalows - "9 Beaches".
I agree. I think Bermuda is a close as you'll possibly get.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by TheCrackedJack
I agree. I think Bermuda is a close as you'll possibly get.
Maybe, not in the US, but close enough, Turks&Caicos (not really sure).
Old Apr 29, 2008, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

technically at cayo espanto (belize) as well.

which resort in T&C?

edit - ah, the upcoming dellis cay. not sure whether the villa developments (including overwater) are separate from the MO.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Apr 29, 2008 at 10:58 pm
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:09 pm

I did some research on resorts in the Florida Keys, and I can recall that there was such a place, but I can't recall at the moment. I will look to see if I saved by research.

That said, I recall them more as luxury cabins over the water, not those free standing South Pacific style OWB.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 10:36 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Kona Village Resort has a very special Hale: New Hebrides #5 (NH5 on the hotel map). Although, this is not considered an OTW, it is sheer magic. Your Hale sits on a bed of lava rocks overlooking the Pacific. It is as close as one can be to the sea aside from actually being in it. OKAY, it is great to have an OTW and jump off of the porch. Although, in NH5 at Kona Village you won't be able to leap off of your balcony, you will fall asleep to waves slapping up against the lava rocks. So very lovely.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

arent SM1-9 (x5) beachfront?
http://www.konavillage.com/propertymap.aspx
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:32 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
arent SM1-9 (x5) beachfront?
http://www.konavillage.com/propertymap.aspx
They are beachfront but don't enjoy that private overwater position that NH5 has.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 12:22 pm

There use to be this near miami - though I think its gone now. I vaguely remember you could rent. As another poster says there might be a place in the Florida Keys (remember reading about it).

http://www.stiltsville.org/
Old May 1, 2008, 12:09 am

Bora Bora is only an hour out of Tahiti which is just 8 hours from LAX; not much further than Hawaii, actually.
Old May 9, 2008, 4:39 pm
In memoriam

Some houses in Stiltsville were left after Hurricane Andrew - but not many. They are privately owned - and the best way to stay in one of them is to make friends with an owner. I seem to recall that Naples Florida had some condos built overhanging the water (one end held up by stilts) - maybe Sarasota too. Nothing sticks in my mind as a place I'd care to stay in. Robyn
Old May 9, 2008, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by eeeee
I did some research on resorts in the Florida Keys, and I can recall that there was such a place, but I can't recall at the moment. I will look to see if I saved by research.

That said, I recall them more as luxury cabins over the water, not those free standing South Pacific style OWB.
The Cheeca Lodge...I remember it from many years ago. I don't think the rooms are actually over the water, but the lounge chairs are on platforms over the water, IIRC. http://cheeca.com
Old May 11, 2008, 7:04 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Mr. Ericka tells me that there are "overwater bungalows" in Indiana and Kentucky along the Ohio river. They are trailers on stilt-platforms which flood about 3 months out of the year. I'm sure a rental could be arranged for the right amount of money.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
technically at cayo espanto (belize) as well.

which resort in T&C?

edit - ah, the upcoming dellis cay. not sure whether the villa developments (including overwater) are separate from the MO.
cayo espanto looks amazing. just saw a show on it on the tele. u can rent the whole island for 16 of u and ur friends for $72k

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.