Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dining suggestions for upcoming SF trip

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2008, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Dining suggestions for upcoming SF trip

I'll be in SF at a conference from May 18-25. I'm staying at the Fairmount.
I'm a little bit of a "foodie" and am looking for good restaurants either within walking distance of the hotel or a not too long cab ride. I'll be alone, so places where you can dine at the bar would be great, but I'll sit alone at a table for a great meal. The last two places I ate in SF were A16 and COI over the past two years.
Oh, and the company is picking up the tab (but I don't like to abuse that privilege,too much). Any help will be appreciated.
GRF in DC
Old May 5, 2008, 6:44 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Avis PC, Global Entry
Obviously Restaurant Gary Danko comes to mind. Great bar but also small (about eight seats I'd guess) so getting there earlier is better; they're pretty good about letting you know the situation if you call ahead. It's a la carte, unlike a table which is prix fixe. Bartenders are just as attentive as the wait staff in my experience. Weekdays and early (6 pm) or very late (9 pm) are usually your sure bets for a seat, especially since you're a single.
Old May 6, 2008, 6:45 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by MumbaiFlyer
Obviously Restaurant Gary Danko comes to mind. Great bar but also small (about eight seats I'd guess) so getting there earlier is better; they're pretty good about letting you know the situation if you call ahead. It's a la carte, unlike a table which is prix fixe. Bartenders are just as attentive as the wait staff in my experience. Weekdays and early (6 pm) or very late (9 pm) are usually your sure bets for a seat, especially since you're a single.
Unless things have changed drastically, you can order a 3/4/5 prix fixe menu from the bar as well at Gary Danko.
Old May 6, 2008, 6:48 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by grf1953
I'll be in SF at a conference from May 18-25. I'm staying at the Fairmount.
I'm a little bit of a "foodie" and am looking for good restaurants either within walking distance of the hotel or a not too long cab ride...
GRF in DC
I've had great meals at the Dining Room at the Ritz Carlton with Chef Siegel at the helm. Only a short walk away from the Fairmont. Of course the dining room itself may feel rather formal but it gets a lot of business men traveling solo. Siegel often times has a 7-9 course tasting menu, a carte blanche one, and a third one like his salt/pepper themed one.
Old May 6, 2008, 11:29 am

Programs: CO Plat, NWA Gold, Delta, Hertz #1, PriorityClub, yadayada
The Stinking Rose on Columbus, just a few blocks away.
Old May 6, 2008, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, GP Platinum, SPG Gold
Dining at the bar in SF

I'm in SF a lot on business by myself, and I always end up eating at least once at Perbacco. There are probably as many singles eating dinner at the bar than there are people just drinkiing. You are made to feel very welcome. Other good choices would be One Market (although it's crowded at happy hour) and Boulevard, where you can watch the kitchen at work from the bar and the wine list is very good.
Old May 6, 2008, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't been there yet, but I've heard great things about Canteen:

http://www.sfcanteen.com/#

I'd also try some of the Soma places, such as Coco 500 and Orson. Both have some fantastic dishes and have great bars for solo diners.
Old May 6, 2008, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by markwtaylor
The Stinking Rose on Columbus, just a few blocks away.
Huh? Since OP is a foodie and on expense account, I hardly think that one qualifies.

Since the Fairmont is on top of Nob Hill, you're seriously limiting yourself if you only want to walk. Take a short taxi ride and try:

$$$$
Gary Danko (RH/FW)
Michael Mina (Union Sq)

$$$
Boulevard (Embarcadero)
Epic Roasthouse (Embarcadero)
BIX (Financial)
Spruce (Presidio Hts)
Farallon (Union Sq)

$$
Scala's Bistro (Union Sq)
Frascati (Russian Hill)
Zuni Café (Civic/Van Ness)
Isa (Marina)
Bistro Aix (Marina)
Balboa Café (Cow Hollow)
Chapeau (Richmond)

Many are bookable thru www.opentable.com and most accept walk-ins, especially for bar dining.
Old May 6, 2008, 6:21 pm

Anjou

One of my favorites..very french..tables close, Piere, cooking and wife Gail running the front. French waiters, french customers. Makes me think I'm in Paris. All of the meats are shipped in from Colorado. Probably in the $$ price range. Price is good, food and service excellent and the namesake desert, a poached pear is fantastic.
Enjoy.
Bob
Old May 6, 2008, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bob95409
One of my favorites..very french..tables close, Pierre, cooking and wife Gail running the front. French waiters, french customers. Makes me think I'm in Paris.
Agree 100%. It is a slice of Paris just down the lane beside the Campton Place Hotel.
Old May 6, 2008, 9:31 pm

S. F. Restaurants

I've eaten at both A16 and COI, too, so looks like we have those in common. Here are some others that you may enjoy:

Aqua - Great seafood, upscale $$$$$
Pesce - More great seafood, but less formal $$$
Delfina - Italian $$$
Michael Mina - In the Westin $$$$
Farallon - Seafood, creative decor $$$$
"Ar Roi" - $$$ Excellent thai, informal, two blocks from Union Square, 643 Post St. You won't find this on many lists but well worth the visit.
Bocadillos - Spanish tapas $$$
Slanted Door - Vietnamese in Ferry Building $$$
Ana Mandara - Vietnamese - I haven't tried it, but a friend gave it high marks last week

That should give you a few to ponder. You can find web sites or directions for most of these here, a S.F. top 100 list: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/listin...p2007?Submit=1

Another - Top 50 List
http://www.ultimatehotels.com/index....staurants.html

Last edited by CaWino; May 6, 2008 at 9:38 pm
Old May 7, 2008, 9:17 am

Programs: SPG Gold; UA 2P
Originally Posted by rjque
I haven't been there yet, but I've heard great things about Canteen:

http://www.sfcanteen.com/#

I'd also try some of the Soma places, such as Coco 500 and Orson. Both have some fantastic dishes and have great bars for solo diners.
Canteen is a good recommendation. It's a bit different from the typical SF place. No ambience, just great food (unless it's changed in the last year and a half). It's also a great place for solo diners because they only have a couple of tables and everything else is counter seating. A solo lady sat next to us when we went and she appeared to be having a ball. Even ordered a second dessert after she saw ours come out!
Old May 8, 2008, 6:16 pm

Programs: LH SEN
I think that Silks at the Mandarin Oriental is very underestimated. Fine dining and perfect service in a very quiet environment.
I was there recently on a Friday evening and it wasn't even half full. Most people there were business types, some dining alone.
My favorite restaurant in the city is now Michael Mina, but it needs reservations a couple of weeks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.