Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Birds - have you tried all of its parts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2008, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G

I started a silly thread in OMNI, just for fun, but just in case anyone takes it serieously, I'm happy to discuss and learn about the uses of different parts of birds, in meals.

Can you say that you have tried all parts of a bird?
Not at once but in various dishes.

I don't know if I've had all of a bird's internal organs, so may have only tried the heart and liver. I've probably avoided the bird's head though maybe had the neck in soups. Chicken feet at Yum Cha were never that great, I confess.

In which cuisine or situations have you enjoyed the various parts of different fowl - and have you eaten your way around the whole bird?
Old May 7, 2008, 10:11 pm

I would really like to have l'ortolan. If anyone has had it, I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on both the dish and establishment serving it.

Last edited by thelark; May 8, 2008 at 11:57 am
Old May 7, 2008, 10:38 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
chicken - a country style restaurant near Sapporo, Japan with my back then host family. I do think no part was left out, and if something was not grilled or boiled we got to taste it in the soup that came last.
Old May 8, 2008, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I ate the beak of a deep fried whole pidgeon once at Golden Century in Chinatown in Sydney....

In my defence I was only 20 it was a dare and we had been drinking some rocket fuel based concoction.
Old May 8, 2008, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

pigeons and chickens in Spain - as a child I loved pigeon hearts, but absolutely everything else was used from these birds which we'd kill ourselves, even the small eggs still inside the hens. I also liked chewing simmered chicken feet.

I imagine nearly every child in England has eaten every single part of a bird. Cheap meat means the mechanically reclaimed kind (more info here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/1482140.stm). The wonderful irony to me is that the most finicky and fussy eaters are, unknowingly, the most adventurous eaters of them all.
Which is why the freezer sections of supermarkets are full of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZNdYhIr3Ts

----

My father went on an inspection visit to a Turkey processing plant in England. A blind man had the task of tweaking off the testicles from the birds. These are considered a delicacy in some parts of Asia. I think these are the only parts of a bird I may not have had.
Old May 8, 2008, 9:43 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I tried every single part, including their nests.

I love chicken feet. Duck tongue is a delicacy. My grandma loves the butts (fatty). Grilled cartilages in Jse restaurants are good. Growing up, I was told to not waste anything. The animal was killed, at least do the honor of not throwing parts away. Although I must say, not a big fan of bird balls.
Old May 8, 2008, 11:25 am

Programs: Skyteam
What about feathers?
Old May 8, 2008, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skchin
What about feathers?
I've inhaled quite a few. Does that count?

Anyone who's eaten balut will have had the whole bird, beak, balls, feathers and all.
Old May 8, 2008, 10:13 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by LapLap

Anyone who's eaten balut will have had the whole bird, beak, balls, feathers and all.
Is it good?
Old May 8, 2008, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by adamak
I tried every single part, including their nests.

I love chicken feet. Duck tongue is a delicacy. My grandma loves the butts (fatty). Grilled cartilages in Jse restaurants are good. Growing up, I was told to not waste anything. The animal was killed, at least do the honor of not throwing parts away. Although I must say, not a big fan of bird balls.
I've had every part as well. I've got to say, though, that I don't care for duck tongue, though we have a friend who is crazy for them. However, I absoluely LOVE chicken feet -- my favorite dim sum.
Old May 8, 2008, 11:54 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL

Originally Posted by skchin
Is it good?
Yes, just don't look at what you're eating.

I wouldn't say it's something that I crave, but it seems to go well with a little chili and vinegar, especially after a few San Migs ^
Old May 9, 2008, 7:36 am

Programs: Star Alliance
When my Filipino friends would introduce me to other Filipinos, they would speak in Tagalog and point to me (with their lips, of course). Without fail, the first thing the newly introduced would say to me is: "You ate balut?" It's an instant in!^
Old May 9, 2008, 10:42 am

Programs: AS MVPG
I've probably eaten every part of a chicken and every part of a duck while growing up amonst my Chinese and Japanese relatives. I favor deep-fried gizzards. Turkey tails are good, too - nice and fatty.

I want to try pheasant next.

Last edited by finlandia; May 9, 2008 at 10:42 am Reason: clarity
Old May 10, 2008, 4:52 am

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Originally Posted by thelark
I would really like to have l'ortolan. If anyone has had it, I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on both the dish and establishment serving it.
If anyone knows where to get proper l'ortolan and wants to go Dutch on the meal, count me in! Ever since the Def Poultry Slam edition several years ago of This American Life, in which they chronicle the last meal of Francois Mitterand, I have wanted to try it.

To answer the OP, I imagine that eating chicken Vienna sausages would qualify.
Old May 10, 2008, 7:24 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
My favorite part of the chicken are the"secret bits"of a roast bird that never make it to the table.
The"pope's nose" and the morsel that sits in a crevice of the thigh bone where it connects to the breast.
I have had feet and necks used to make tasty nutritious stocks when I was poor.The stocks would then be made into chickin and rice soup or some such thing.
And anyone who has had processed chicken(chicken hot dogs come to mind) has had most all of the bird-including pulverized bone meal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.