Search

Retirement jobs that allow, maybe even provide for, lots of travel

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2008, 12:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Retirement jobs that allow, maybe even provide for, lots of travel

I always thought that when I retired it would be fun to work for Princess Cruise Lines here in Seattle, maybe as a greeter at the the ship dock. We only have Princess ships here in Seattle two days a week, four months out of the year, so it wouldn't make huge demands on my travel time. We rarely travel in the summer anyway.

We would then also be eligible for great cruise deals during the rest of the year.

Hunki thinks I am crazy, but I think it would be a great way to meet new people, serendipitously run into old friends whom we haven't see for a while, and get some great travel benefits.

What ideas do you have for great retirement jobs?
Old May 8, 2008, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I teach MIS in a business school. I'm thinking of hiring myself out as a visiting lecturer, up to a semester at a time, in interesting places.

Downsides: a significant other who's still some years away from that, and a new house we really like.
Old May 9, 2008, 4:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Hunki's brother is a retired chemistry professor who still teaches like one quarter a year. It works out really well for him. He also does expert witness work.

I am so glad he retired. Next weekend he and his wife are going to join Hunki and I for a cruise.

I am dreaming of the days when we are all really retired and can take 115 day RTW cruises.
Old May 9, 2008, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Punki, I think your idea about being a greeter is a very good one.

After retirement I plan on doing some volunteer things that I haven't been able to do.
Old May 9, 2008, 6:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks, oldpenny16, and welcome to the Grown Ups Table.

I will have to have you talk to Hunki about working for Princess. See, my original idea was that we would do it together. I thought that would be a lot of fun, but he just looked at me weird when I suggested it.

I suspect that once I start doing it and having lots of fun with new friends, he will be jealous and want to join in the good times.

That is exactly what happened with FlyerTalk. At first he thought I was crazy, and then after he realized that FlyerTalk had the potential to offer new and exciting skiing opportunities at Wengen, as well as opportunities to travel the world in first class, he softened up and decided it probably wasn't really such a bad idea.
Old May 10, 2008, 1:42 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
serendipitously run into old friends

there is no sea-port in Switzerland ...

and I don't think Hunki can ski on any Princess ship, nor do they link to ski-resorts ...
Old May 12, 2008, 12:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I am posting from the Coral Princess as we make our very rolling way toward Victoria, and then into more protected water, on our way to Vancouver. This has been a very rolling cruise with lots of folks experienceing accidents. We really did have a wonderful time trying to learn a line dance step on a very rolling ship. We were almost dancing when we were standing still.

You know, Rudi, we could bring old friends along on a FlyerTalk Seniors cruise from Vancouver to Whittier, Alaska, which has to be one of the most amazing journeys on earth. You would love it. ^

They do ski in Alaska, donchaknow!
Old May 12, 2008, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Punki
...You know, Rudi, we could bring old friends along on a FlyerTalk Seniors cruise from Vancouver to Whittier, Alaska, which has to be one of the most amazing journeys on earth...
Sign us up, as long as it's during summer break at school - and we don't already have tickets to somewhere else!
Old May 12, 2008, 7:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I don't even think they ski in Alaska in the summer, do they?
Old May 13, 2008, 8:01 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I had a colleague who retired from full-time work in about 1999 at age 57. He'd saved well and was ready for a comfortable retirement that would feature lots of travel.

So he took job cleaning aircraft cabins between flights for UA at IAD. The job paid next to nothing but came with travel benefits. He worked 3 days a week and traveled 3-4 days a week NRSA.

UA may have outsourced cabin cleaning since then, but it always struck me as a brilliant way to spend retirement!
Old May 13, 2008, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA1KMM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Thumbs up There's snow at Whistler and still skiing there

Originally Posted by Punki
I don't even think they ski in Alaska in the summer, do they?
We could do the reverse cruise from Whittier to Vancouver, then do some spring skiing at Whistler when we get there. Bringing skis on a boat might get some strange looks though.
Old May 13, 2008, 11:31 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Punki, yours is a brilliant idea. I know you favor Princess, but why not check out HAL and Celebrity to see what they offer? Have you considered signing on as dance instructors? Perhaps your hubby could cruise as a gentleman host on HAL. I was really impressed with the port staff in Seattle last year.
Old May 14, 2008, 12:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I only favor Princess as a passenger because of the amazing loyalty benefits they offer. As an aside, our daughter called me on the ship on Sunday to wish me happy Mother's day. During our conversation I mentioned that part of our reason for the cruise was to get status and better loyalty benefits and she thought I said "royalty" benefits. We both thought that was pretty funny.

Most certainly, hedoman, before I made any commitment, I would check out HAL and Celebrity to see if they offered a more enticing benefits package.

I once told Hunki that, if anything should every happen to me, he should marry my girlfriend who loves to dance, travel and ski. He gave me this really strange look and said, "If anything ever happens to you, I am not going to get married. I am going to become a dance guy on a cruise ship." As long as I am around, however, the vast majority of his cruise ship dancing is going to be with me.

I suspect that if Hunki ever decides to get a retirement job, it will be working as a sales dude in a yacht brokerage here in Seattle during the late spring and summer. He is too old to be a ski bum.
Old May 14, 2008, 12:29 am

If you get a job, how can you be retired?
Old May 14, 2008, 11:11 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by agrater
If you get a job, how can you be retired?
Perhaps someone over age 55 could answer this question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.