Originally Posted by sniles
Earthquake near Chengdu, Sichuan at 14.48 on 2008/5/12
Chengdu airport (CTU) closed (6 pm)
MU suspended flights to CTU

Any updates welcome

edit 1: CTU to remain closed until 20.00 2008/5/12

edit 2: CTU to remain closed until 08.00 2008/5/13
Flights diverted to Chongqing and Xi'an
China says massive quake has killed thousands (last update: 7.8-magnitude, at least 8,000 casualty.)
Old May 12, 2008, 10:33 am
cpx

Programs: Many
It shook Beijing, which is over 1500KM away from this site. Pretty strong.

Some more information here:
http://www.reuters.com/article/topNe...23973420080512
Old May 12, 2008, 11:33 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Got news from some people who live about 90 miles from the epicenter. They said they were advised to stay and sleep outside as its predicted there will be more quakes in that region in the next day or so.
Old May 12, 2008, 12:10 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by anacapamalibu
Got news from some people who live about 90 miles from the epicenter. They said they were advised to stay and sleep outside as its predicted there will be more quakes in that region in the next day or so.
Not surprised. USGS reports over 2 dozen aftershocks.. and about a dozen of
those are over 5.0.
Old May 12, 2008, 12:12 pm

Update: Looks like Chengdu airport has resumed operations to allow some outbound flights to depart from the airport, but still no inbound flights seem to be allowed as of now.

Source: http://en.carnoc.com/list/7/7336.html
Old May 12, 2008, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems like a nasty quake. Hopefully, the loss of life will not be as severe as some are predicting.

Ironically, this weekend, I began planning the pre-Olympic component of my August trip to China. And, as luck would have it, I was thinking of making my first visit to the Sichuan province. High on the list was seeing the pandas at the Wolong Nature Reserve in Wenchuan, which apparently is the epicenter of the quake.

Oh, well. In the scheme of things, no big deal for me. I guess there's nothing I can do but wait a couple weeks to read the damage reports and see if a visit to Sichuan would be viable this summer.
Old May 12, 2008, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

From a blog here in China:

"Beijing air traffic controllers left the control tower when it started shaking (imagine you are a pilot making an approach to Beijing airport and suddenly you cannot reach the tower anymore!)"

"A terrible tragedy on Buddha's birthday and exactly 88 days before the Olympics (8 is a lucky number in China)"
Old May 12, 2008, 7:58 pm

It was just a matter of time

Kinda thought this might pop up a little sooner.

"This year the Chinese government may benefit from the disaster, as international sympathy in the wake of the earthquake will divert attention from unrest in Tibet."

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/34774,...as-development
Old May 12, 2008, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Seems like a nasty quake. Hopefully, the loss of life will not be as severe as some are predicting.

Ironically, this weekend, I began planning the pre-Olympic component of my August trip to China. And, as luck would have it, I was thinking of making my first visit to the Sichuan province. High on the list was seeing the pandas at the Wolong Nature Reserve in Wenchuan, which apparently is the epicenter of the quake.

Oh, well. In the scheme of things, no big deal for me. I guess there's nothing I can do but wait a couple weeks to read the damage reports and see if a visit to Sichuan would be viable this summer.
Latest news I've heard is that the Panda Centre is still completely out of contact so there is no real idea of how things are there. It was very Chinese, but still a pretty amazing place and I hope the staff and 'inmates' are all ok. Thoughts also with everyone else affected, of course.

Incidentally, we were on the beach in Hong Kong and at what was probably around the time of the 'quake a pretty big wave (considering the sea was flat as the proverbial mill-pond yesterday) came a fair way up the beach soaking a lot of sunbathers! Didn't think anything of it at the time but I would now guess it was a shock wave (and we must be about as far away from the epicenter as London is from Moscow (at a guess)).
Old May 12, 2008, 8:59 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA

"This year the Chinese government may benefit from the disaster, as international sympathy in the wake of the earthquake will divert attention from unrest in Tibet."

This must be the most cold-blooded quote of the day.
Old May 12, 2008, 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by rdchen
This must be the most cold-blooded quote of the day.
I agree, there's always some one that want's to kick a person when they are down.
Old May 12, 2008, 9:38 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Originally Posted by iahphx

According to HK newspaper (MingPao), the 60+ pandas at the research center are safe.
Old May 12, 2008, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rdchen
According to HK newspaper (MingPao), the 60+ pandas at the research center are safe.
yes, Reuters reporting this also http://in.reuters.com/article/worldN...33547820080513
Old May 13, 2008, 12:23 am

Programs: UA, AA, KE, OZ Hyatt Platinum, Int Ambassador,

OMG Who ever said this should be ashamed! my goodness.. British news.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.