Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

aloft Beijing, Haidian [Master Thread]

aloft Beijing, Haidian [Master Thread]

Old Jan 30, 2007, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
Arrow aloft Beijing, Haidian [Master Thread]

Press Release Source: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.

Starwood Hotels Brings a New Twist in Travel to Beijing
Tuesday January 30, 2:20 pm ET
Announcing aloft Beijing, Haidian, Scheduled To Arrive in 2009

SINGAPORE & WHITE PLAINS, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--aloha! Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.® (NYSE:HOT - News) and its much-anticipated new lifestyle brand, aloft(SM) hotels, today announced it has signed an agreement with Beijing Yongtai Hotel Management Co., Ltd to develop an aloft hotel in the capital city of China, Beijing. The 200-room hotel will offer visitors a refreshing alternative to current lodging options when it opens in 2009.

See: http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070130/20070130006179.html?.v=1
Old Aug 26, 2008, 6:07 pm

Aloft Beijing opening delayed

I got an email today from the Aloft in Beijing stating that the hotel's opening has been pushed back from Sept 1 to sometime in late October (although spg.com shows Nov 1). The email states the delay is because of obtaining a business license.

My reservation has automatically been moved to the new Four Points and I have been offered a free drink for my trouble.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 1:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.69 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/120)

The four points is rather nice and just a few steps away from the aloft. See my other thread on it for a short review.
Old Nov 10, 2008, 10:16 am

Location of Aloft Beijing in relation to PEK

For those familiar with the Aloft Beijing, is it a reasonable choice for hotel prior to an early flight from PEK? How far is it from the airport? Cost of a taxi?

Also, what is the Plat amenity for Aloft properties in Asia?
Old Nov 11, 2008, 1:08 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by Bondiboy
...Also, what is the Plat amenity for Aloft properties in Asia?
250 Starpoints, like everywhere else.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Mar 8, 2009, 9:43 am

My parents stayed at both alof and four points next door. His comment was that for the same price/points, he would prefer Four Points. As Plat, you get free breakfast at Four Points too.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 10:06 pm

Programs: AC-E,UA-1K,Fairmont-Plat,SPG-Plat,IC Gold Ambassador,PC Gold,Delta-Gold,Hertz Gold 5*,HHonors Gold
If you're choosing between the aloft haidian and the four points, stay at the four points. I stayed at the aloft haidian back in January and it was unfortunately one of my worst hotel stays ever – we had two rooms. I’m sorry I didn’t make a list of my issues, but I recall most of the problems being related to my education on what an aloft hotel actually is. Having “a vision of W hotels”, I unfortunately entered into the situation under the impression that it was similar to a W hotel - I wanted “whatever, whenever”. Aside from the furniture and the blue lines in the carpet, it’s FAR from the standard of a W hotel. It’s kind of a “do-it-yourself” hotel. You want help with your luggage? Too bad, do it yourself – trollies are over there in the corner. You want a coffee? The machine is over there – make it yourself. This is fine and all, it really just wasn’t wat I was expecting from an SPG hotel, let alone one that was leaning on the W hotel name.

No such thing as a platinum upgrade, so I was told, as “all the rooms are same same”.

I found I was over at the Four Points everyday using their pool, eating at their restaruants, etc. You do have full access to the facilites at the Four Points, so if the rate at the aloft is significantly cheaper for you, by all means, stay there and walk over. You’ll have a clean room and bed in either hotel.

Oh, if you’re expcting “bliss” products like you’d get at W hotels… Sorry hun, it’s one of those trashy pumps on the wall in the shower to get shampoo and shower gel. Oh, the other thing we found descusting in both our rooms, was your shower turns into a bath quickly. There was something major wrong with the drains whereby the water (and the yuckyness you just washed off yourself) would just pool at your feet. Wouldn’t have ben so bad if you were standing in a tub, but it was an open shower stall with an approx 1” raised tile lip that very quickly was overflown by the water, soaking the bath mat/towel you put down before getting in. This happend in both our rooms. It really just wasn’t what I was expcting from a hotel less than a year old.

OOHHHHH, one important thing… Our cab drivers ended tooring us around the damn city looking for this place – despite me having a print out of my reservation that clearly had the name and address of the hotel. Unfortunately, it was printed using english characters and everyone they asked, even other hotel workers from the 7 hotels we arrived at before actually finding our hotel, didn’t know where it was or how to read english. If you can, google map it and print the name/address/directions from the airport in chineese characters - it’ll probably save you a lot of time, not to mention cash on the metered cab.

I appreciate that some of the issues I had were just my expectations of an SPG hotel not being met, but figured I’d post my two cents on the nights I spent here…
Old Jul 3, 2010, 8:09 am

Aloft Haidian, Beijing China

Stayed there for a couple nights earlier this week. Had a pretty pleasant experience - the staff was friendly, and everything was exactly as expected. I even got upgraded to a corner suite room.

Anyone else stay there before?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jul 3, 2010 at 8:36 am Reason: Moved into master thread
Old Jul 3, 2010, 9:01 am

You are luck。 There are only four corner suite room in this property.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by xtremeYYZ
If you're choosing between the aloft haidian and the four points, stay at the four points. I stayed at the aloft haidian back in January and it was unfortunately one of my worst hotel stays ever – we had two rooms. I’m sorry I didn’t make a list of my issues, but I recall most of the problems being related to my education on what an aloft hotel actually is. Having “a vision of W hotels”, I unfortunately entered into the situation under the impression that it was similar to a W hotel - I wanted “whatever, whenever”. Aside from the furniture and the blue lines in the carpet, it’s FAR from the standard of a W hotel. It’s kind of a “do-it-yourself” hotel. You want help with your luggage? Too bad, do it yourself – trollies are over there in the corner. You want a coffee? The machine is over there – make it yourself. This is fine and all, it really just wasn’t wat I was expecting from an SPG hotel, let alone one that was leaning on the W hotel name.

No such thing as a platinum upgrade, so I was told, as “all the rooms are same same”.

I found I was over at the Four Points everyday using their pool, eating at their restaruants, etc. You do have full access to the facilites at the Four Points, so if the rate at the aloft is significantly cheaper for you, by all means, stay there and walk over. You’ll have a clean room and bed in either hotel.

Oh, if you’re expcting “bliss” products like you’d get at W hotels… Sorry hun, it’s one of those trashy pumps on the wall in the shower to get shampoo and shower gel. Oh, the other thing we found descusting in both our rooms, was your shower turns into a bath quickly. There was something major wrong with the drains whereby the water (and the yuckyness you just washed off yourself) would just pool at your feet. Wouldn’t have ben so bad if you were standing in a tub, but it was an open shower stall with an approx 1” raised tile lip that very quickly was overflown by the water, soaking the bath mat/towel you put down before getting in. This happend in both our rooms. It really just wasn’t what I was expcting from a hotel less than a year old.

OOHHHHH, one important thing… Our cab drivers ended tooring us around the damn city looking for this place – despite me having a print out of my reservation that clearly had the name and address of the hotel. Unfortunately, it was printed using english characters and everyone they asked, even other hotel workers from the 7 hotels we arrived at before actually finding our hotel, didn’t know where it was or how to read english. If you can, google map it and print the name/address/directions from the airport in chineese characters - it’ll probably save you a lot of time, not to mention cash on the metered cab.

I appreciate that some of the issues I had were just my expectations of an SPG hotel not being met, but figured I’d post my two cents on the nights I spent here…
Experienced the bath phenomenon in the shower during my recent stay, indeed disgustingly slow water drainage. Location has little to be desired, local 24hr shop is about a good 15mins walk from the hotel. Price was fair for room quality but there are loads of Holiday Inns in Beijing in the similar price range in way better locations.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 9:26 am

deleted

Last edited by kudroz; Oct 8, 2017 at 9:12 pm
Old Aug 20, 2013, 7:06 am

Programs: Hard to keep one
Stayed for 3 nights. Property was generally OK. However the metro is a quite a distance away, and walking in summer (record heat wave) is not an easy thing.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 9:14 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by EngOnAPlane
Stayed for 3 nights. Property was generally OK. However the metro is a quite a distance away, and walking in summer (record heat wave) is not an easy thing.
Yeah I read the location is not ideal for sightseeing/vacation...
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Any recent updates? Thinking of staying here during a (less than) 72 hour layover in early October. Looks close enough to a subway station to make my way around, like the rate (about $75US a night). For food, anything close by for dinner?

Thanks.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, A3 *A Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dcstudent
Any recent updates? Thinking of staying here during a (less than) 72 hour layover in early October. Looks close enough to a subway station to make my way around, like the rate (about $75US a night). For food, anything close by for dinner?

Thanks.
dcstudent,

My wife son and I have stayed her about 8-10 nights/yr the past two years as a way to maintain platinum. I like staying there, and my wife can handle 4-6 nights/yr.

We have always taken a taxi there and I see the relatively new line 10 station Changchunqiao is within walking distance. On the NW corner of Yuanda Lu and the river there is a huge shopping mall. On the 5th floor of the mall there are tons of restaurants and this is where we go to eat. Our favorites are XiBei Cai & Southern Beauty. There is also a Duck Soup place that my wife likes that we went to a few times. There are also 3 Starbucks in the mall, I'll give you a gold star if you find all of them.

Our favorite activity is to visit the mountains. October would be a great time, the leaves may be changing and the mountains will be radiant with color. Fragrant Hills is the most popular mountain and we avoid that. I much prefer Badachu, for two reasons: 1) Less crowded 2) They have a slide that runs all the way down the side of the mountain. We take a chair lift up to the top and then slide down. My 4 year old son is an expert at that. He goes so fast that the workers on the side are desperately gesturing us to slow down. We have almost flipped over a few time. It's all fun until someone gets hurt. ^

Now on the other side, if you want to visit the major tourist attractions, like The Forbidden City, Tiananmen, or The Temple of Heaven, you will spend 1+ hour to get to these attractions.

Our platinum status is secured for this year and we'll be taking a Europe trip at the beginning of October, otherwise I might be able to convince my wife to join you and show you around.

Anything else I can help with, just let me know.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.