Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Cairo to Sharm El-Shiek - Planes, trains or automobiles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2008, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE

We are a family of 5 and we are planning a trip to Egypt for later this summer. We want to spend time doing Cairo/Luxor/Alexandria but we also want to spend about a week just lounging around on the beach and doing a bit of scuba diving in Sharm El-Sheik.

Can anyone give me recommendations or advice on how to get to & from Sharm El-Shiek from Cairo? Taking into account price, travel time and difficulty, is it better to fly, take a train, hire a car & driver etc.?

Thanks,

Onedog
Old May 16, 2008, 1:21 am
Community Director Emerita

We flew, which suited us just fine. We were linking a number of destinations together within Egypt. However, I know the Egyptian college kids we visited went by bus. So driving - a car and driver - should be doable. It's 488 km from Cairo to Sharm, roughly 300 miles.
Old May 16, 2008, 7:50 am

Programs: UA
In our college days, my brother and I thought the bus would be great because it was so cheap (and it was cheap). Even in those days, when we were willing to deal with a lot, taking the bus was a pretty miserable experience. I imagine the busses themselves are probably better these days, but that is still a very long trip.

Pay to fly. Especially with a family.
Old May 16, 2008, 12:28 pm
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
summer in egypt ? hope you mean late late summer..

sharm can get very busy. one option is el gouna, on the red sea coast but a simple drive from luxor.
Old May 17, 2008, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GK
summer in egypt ? hope you mean late late summer..

sharm can get very busy. one option is el gouna, on the red sea coast but a simple drive from luxor.

Yeah, we pushed it as late in the summer as we could. Last two weeks in August just before the kids start school. I am steeling myself for unbearably hot & super busy.

We were planning on Sharm because I've always wanted to scuba dive the red sea and I have points/status with Starwood. We are trying to stick with Starwood for the whole trip so that our lodging is taken care of.

Thanks,

Onedog
Old May 17, 2008, 12:23 am

Sheraton has a hotel in El Gouna. Here is some discussion about it.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; May 17, 2008 at 12:29 am
Old May 17, 2008, 7:19 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver, Egyptair Plus Gold/*A Gold
Airfare CAI-SSH/LXR isn't too much with EgyptAir running several flights a day (either mainline flights or EgyptAir Express). Remember that Sharm and Hurghada are both on the Red Sea.
Old May 22, 2008, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We flew, which suited us just fine. We were linking a number of destinations together within Egypt. However, I know the Egyptian college kids we visited went by bus. So driving - a car and driver - should be doable. It's 488 km from Cairo to Sharm, roughly 300 miles.
Did you purchase your tickets when you got to Egypt or did you purchase them ahead of time? Is there any advantage to purchasing them before/after arrival into Egypt?

Thanks,

Onedog
Old May 22, 2008, 12:42 pm

We bought our tickets in advance. We visited several cities, and it was essential that we work out which days of the week nonstop flights were available. Otherwise, everything went via Cairo. This not only doubled flight time but doubled flight cost.
Old May 22, 2008, 4:56 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We bought our tickets in advance. We visited several cities, and it was essential that we work out which days of the week nonstop flights were available. Otherwise, everything went via Cairo.
we purchased in advanced and echo SanDiego1K's comments.

The only time I would consider alternate forms of transporation in Egypt would be to travel by train from Cairo to either Alexandria or Luxor.

I hope you do get to dive in the Red Sea, upon our arrival into Egypt both Mrs Sweet Willie and I were struck with severe sinus infections so no diving for us.
Old May 23, 2008, 8:20 pm

Programs: UAL 1K, AA Platinum
We flew via Egypt Air from Cairo to Sharm.

Some things to know:
1. There's a special terminal at the Cairo airport for Sharm and Hurghada flights.
2. At the Sharm airport be sure to negotiate price in advance with taxi drivers, including all passengers. They tend to be mafia-like.

The diving is great at Sharm!
Old May 27, 2008, 7:47 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Virgin Flying Club Red, Swiss M&M Blue
Fly

Driving isnt the safest thing in Egypt.

Tour buses tend to carry armed guards.

And it may be 300 miles but its not like being on the interstate.
Old May 27, 2008, 8:04 am

Programs: DL SM Diamond, AA Ex. Platinum, Ph.D in STFU
Originally Posted by dobba
Driving isnt the safest thing in Egypt.

Tour buses tend to carry armed guards.

And it may be 300 miles but its not like being on the interstate.

The bus ride from Cairo to Sharm is only 300 miles, but it takes between 6 and 12 hours to drive it! The roads are absolutly horrible!

Like everyone else says, fly it!
Old May 27, 2008, 9:38 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've only flown it, but the diving is great! I did manage a sinus infection after one set of dives (second trip to Sharm).
Old May 29, 2008, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by onedog
We are a family of 5 and we are planning a trip to Egypt for later this summer.
Five of you? Rent a car/van plus driver. The drive (count on 5 hours) will not be your most comfortable, but it will be an experience! And the saving on five air tickets should cushion any discomfort.

Get a price from Avis or through an agency - accept it, or use that price as top level for negotiating with limo firms or taxi drivers. If you're staying in Cairo the hotel will certainly help.

But make sure there is aircon. And the aircon works

And make sure you know the drop-off/return empty charge is included.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.