Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Atlanta - Midtown, GA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Atlanta - Midtown, GA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2008, 11:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Arrow W Atlanta - Midtown, GA [Master Thread]

I wanted to be the first to review the W Atlanta - Midtown!

For those of you who remember the Sheraton Midtown you'll "see" subtle reminders of what the hotels drive, entry, lobby and second & third floors.

The property has a Kelly Wearstler designed feel. Its eclectic, chic and fun.

Right now I would place this above the Westin Buckhead and Peachtree. Once the novelty of this property wears off and the W Atlanta - Downtown opens I might have to reevaluate my rankings.

RANKINGS
Check-in/Check-out [5 out of 5]
This was my last stay as a gold and I got upgraded to a suite!! Sweet! The check in pods are very nice and the staff very accommodating, upbeat and for a new property, knowledgeable about the SPG program.

Common Areas [4]
Clean modern and well lit. Lobby is bright and airy. The living room is a little busy and seems like it might be too much space. The outdoor living should be called the "parking lot". It's location directly in front of valet and the car parking. There is no separation and at the time of my stay, the parking activity and the street noise, are conducive to having a conversation and just enjoying the space. Not sexy! Points deducted for that.

The elevators, elevator banks and hallways are typical W - dark and mood altering.

Guest Rooms [5]
I head up to room and I'm pleasantly surprised.

Overall First Impression: Hot damn!

I walk through the door and I enter a two room suite. To the left is a table the serves as a desk or dining table. Along the wall there is a built in credenza with a ton of storage space. The one thing I don't understand is why the chairs don't have wheels? They are heavy so the floors are going to show signs of scratching or will crack sooner or later. Rooms are wireless and electric sockets are spaced throughout the room.

Walk a few feet forward and to the right is a closet with a safe and then you’re in the living room. A large wall mural and a great view of Piedmont Park, downtown Atlanta, dominate this side of the room. On the wall is the TV console and related equipment. The room has great natural light along with overhead lights above the couch and a floor lamp. One thing that was weird is a door to nowhere.

Turning back toward the dining table, to the left is the entry to the bedroom. . Walking through the entryway, you walk right into a lighted vanity table. On the left of the room is the sleeping area and on the right is the walk in closet and bathroom. It has the same TV console and view as the living room. There is an iPod docking station and vintage alarm clock. The bed is super firm with standard W hotel linens. In the corner is a nice chaise lounge that offers a view of downtown. There is no "work space" in the bedroom.

Walking back toward the entry, you pass the vanity and there is a large walk-in closet. Pass the closet is a full-length mirror and then around the corner to the left you enter the bathroom. Prior to enter the bathroom there is a second vanity table and mirror with drawers for storage. I'm not sure why this is outside the bathroom? To me it would have made sense to enclose this is the bathroom proper and make the sink larger.

Guest Room Bathrooms [4]
The bathroom was a bit strange to me. It’s VERY LARGE bathroom and lots of space to work in, if more than one person is staying in this suite.

The bathroom is surrounded by glass. Once you enter the vanity sink is on the right. The sink is nice although not a double vanity has good counter space. The faucet gave me a lil trouble as it was to “over designed” to be simple. There were both glasses and plastic cups. All the typical W toiletries. Lots of towels and every thing was fresh, new and fluffy!

Turning to the left there is a huge walk in rain shower. It’s HUGE, you could fit a mini cooper in it! There is also a built in seat. The temperature and water pressure were perfect. I found it odd that there is no tub, the room is obviously large enough for one as there is wasted space they filled with a teak bench. Although I liked the bathroom, I don't understand why there are no double vanity Seems to me that they could have enlarged designed the counter differently, added a tub and wired the bathroom for audio input, since you can clearly see the TV while showering.

Housekeeping [5]
Very attentive, all items were refreshed without asking.

Club Level/Lounge N/A
No

Fitness Center [5]
The gym is in the basement. Nice equipment and cardio machines and free weights, but it’s really cramped and the “bliss” blue makes it feel as though the place is going to close in on you. The Bliss Spa is also located down here.

Pool [5]
The pool is exactly the same, it got a minor face lift. In the next few weeks they will be adding cabanas.

Business Center N/A
I didn’t see one or an area with free PCs.

Concierge N/A
There are two fun concierges on staff. I didn’t need them but it was interesting to discuss dining options and experiences.

High Speed Wired/Wireless Internet Access [5]
Free wireless in the lobby. There is a $14 fee in rooms. The signal was very strong crisp and quite fast. No drop issues.

Parking/Valet
[5]
Very fast. I called for the car prior to going out and it was there before I got downstairs. This was approximately 5-7 minutes.

Dining [3]
Tried the Spice Market and wasn’t impressed. It wasn’t my typical Jean-Georges experience. The décor is so-so, the staff uniforms are abysmal but the appetizers are scrumptious. I highly recommend the chicken coconut soup!

Miscellaneous
The hotel offers free Acura transportation (at Acura Experience Desk) within a two mile radius. Service runs until approximately 8 PM. This service will soon roll out to more Ws.

There is a w store on site as well.

FINAL IMPRESSION
Overall hotel cleanliness:
Very clean as it’s a new property.

Staff attitude, conduct & support:
Amazing, everyone knew me by name, went out of their way and made me feel like they cared.

Good location for if you work in midtown. A few blocks from Piedmont park and within walking distance to a few restaurants and a five minute drive to more. Traffic is hell! There isn’t much else to do in the area unless you want to go to the museum.

Would I return?
Yes. Based on price and time of year.

Would I recommend this as family friendly?
NO! NO! NO!

Good for business travelers?
Yes!

Good for a romantic get away?
Yes, nice rooms, views and services.

Would I recommend for someone looking for Dining/Nightlife?
Based on requestor as you need to drive everywhere in Atlanta.

Would I recommend restaurant?
No!

Value for price paid?
Good

Overall property rating on a scale from 1 to 10 = 9

Last edited by KENNECTED; Jul 18, 2008 at 7:51 am
Old May 18, 2008, 12:13 am

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Looks pretty cool. I wish I didn't have to cancel my trip there a few weeks ago... looking forward to the review!
Old May 22, 2008, 8:31 pm

I will be staying there next week. This used to be the Sheraton but has been completely transformed.
Old May 31, 2008, 9:02 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

complete review done, see post no. 1
Old Jun 2, 2008, 1:10 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
Post W Hotels Debuts the Southern Side of Glam with the Grand Opening of W Atlanta-Midtown

Press Release Source: W Hotels Worldwide

W Hotels Debuts the Southern Side of Glam with the Grand Opening of W Atlanta-Midtown
Monday June 2, 11:55 am ET
Combining Southern Hospitality, Urban Sophistication and W Hotels' Iconic Design, W Atlanta-Midtown Marks Four Firsts for Georgia: Bliss Spa, Spice Market, Whiskey Park, and W Hotels The Store
Developed by Noble Investment Group, W Atlanta-Midtown Features More than 30,000 Square Feet of Ultra Modern Function Space, a State of the Art Gym, Glamorous Pool and Private Cabanas and W's Signature Whatever/Whenever(R) Concierge Service

ATLANTA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--W Hotels Worldwide, the fastest growing luxury hotel brand in the world, sends a surge through the South with the grand opening of W Atlanta-Midtown. This sleek, techno glam hotel, designed by I-CRAVE, Stephen Alton, Fruchtman Associates, and Ai Group in collaboration with W Hotels’ award-winning design team, features 466 guest rooms, including 33 luxurious suites, a state-of-the-art gym, glamorous pool and stylish, private cabanas, a full-service WIRED business center, and W Hotels’ signature Whatever/Whenever Concierge Service. Owned and developed by Noble Investment Group in a joint venture with AEW Capital Management, W Atlanta-Midtown will introduce four firsts to Georgia: the state’s first Bliss Spa, Chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten’s Spice Market, Rande Gerber’s Whiskey Park and a W Hotels The Store retail shop. Nestled between the magnificent Midtown Mile and picturesque Piedmont Park, W Atlanta-Midtown also features more than 30,000 square feet of ultra-modern function space equipped with the latest wired and wireless technology, making it the perfect destination for work or play.

“W Hotels continues to extend beyond the boundaries of everyday travel,” said Phil McAveety, Executive Vice President and Chief Brand Officer, Starwood Hotels & Resorts. “The opening of W Atlanta-Midtown will bring a vibrant new destination to this world-class capital, offering extraordinary experiences at every turn through W’s key lifestyle elements. We are proud to partner with Noble Investment Group to introduce this new W Hotel to Midtown Atlanta.”

The opening of W Atlanta-Midtown represents W Hotels’ second property in Atlanta, to be followed later this year by the opening the new W Atlanta-Buckhead, also developed by Noble Investment Group.

Press Release
Old Jun 2, 2008, 7:56 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
thank you for that thorough review! The only thing I dislike is the see through shower. They seem to have that at the Montreal W as well. I like to shower in privacy and not put on a show. I wish they would install the glass that can go frosted with a flip of a switch.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 5:04 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravisMT81
thank you for that thorough review! The only thing I dislike is the see through shower. They seem to have that at the Montreal W as well. I like to shower in privacy and not put on a show. I wish they would install the glass that can go frosted with a flip of a switch.

The shower didn't bother me at first, however, a friend who wanted to see the hotel/room came over before going out. He was standing in the bathroom and I was in the room portion, when he was there, I realized that if I entertaining people, and if they were to use the bathroom, I would be able to see there every action in the bathroom from the room. We both just shook our heads, like ewww.

So I totally agree that there should be a frosted band across the bottom half of the shower.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 2:12 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta PM MM, Airtain Elite, Hilton Diamond, Avis First, Hertz President's Circle
Can't speak for the hotel....but restaurant was a let down

Although a number of my colleagues who have stayed there have had overall postive experiences (and they are hotel snobs).

Had dinner at Spice Market (the hotel restaurant) since I live less than a mile away. Overall, underwhelmed. Had lunch there as well - which was somewhat better b/c I had lower expectations for lunch.

The concept is "Asian Street Food" and, frankly, Straits (Ludacris's new restaurant) in the former Spice space at 5th and Juniper (if you walk straight out the front door of the hotel you are at 14th and Juniper) IMHO has better food and is the same "Asian Street Food" concept.

Last edited by TravelingGnome; Jul 28, 2008 at 8:13 pm
Old Jun 15, 2008, 9:38 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelingGnome
Although a number of my colleagues who have stayed there have had overall postive experiences (and they are hotel snobs).

Had dinner at Spice Market (the hotel restaurant) since I live less than a mile away. Overall, underwhelmed. Had lunch there as well - which was somewhat better b/c I had lower expectations for lunch.

The concept is "Asian Street Food" and, frankly, Straights (Ludacris's new restaurant) in the former Spice space at 5th and Juniper (if you walk straight out the front door of the hotel you are at 14th and Juniper) IMHO has better food and is the same "Asian Street Food" concept.
This is not up to Jean George standards in my opinion. What is with those uniforms?

Atlanta is not a "foodie" city and the restaurants reflect that. As I stated in my initial review, avoid the spice market.

Friends have tried the place for lunch and dinner. They say it's rarely busy. I don't see this restaurant staying open more than a year. Seriously, the restaurants website isn't even up.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 10:21 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I checked in last night, knowing a huge contingent of my company would be here and occupancy would be near 100%, but asked for suite availability anyway. Was told nothing open, so no big deal off to decent room on high floor. Impressions, some decor is too mod and a bit cheapish looking... not a luxe W by any means but no 4 points either. Generally I am happy with it. Got a call early next morning, suite available for remaining 4 nights, they'll move my stuff while I am out. Came back and staff had keys for me, realy nice people at the front desk. Suite is huge with 2 flat screens and massive bathroom and nice views. Really comfortable and stylish pad for a week. Location is great for a run in Piedmont park. Both bars are hopping, not sure about whether to try the food outlets given the above notes.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 8:15 pm

The Staff at this hotel are wonderful. Nicest Staff at any W hotel. Mira at the front desk is also great. Hotel is in a good location.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
This is not up to Jean George standards in my opinion. What is with those uniforms?

Atlanta is not a "foodie" city and the restaurants reflect that. As I stated in my initial review, avoid the spice market.

Friends have tried the place for lunch and dinner. They say it's rarely busy. I don't see this restaurant staying open more than a year. Seriously, the restaurants website isn't even up.
When Spice Market opened in NYC , everyone wanted to go there and be seen , I was able to get a table and we tried it out , and I was very dissapointed. When I stayed at the W Midtown a couple of weeks ago , I avoided the Spice Market. Got room service and ate on the couch in my suite .
Overall the hotel is nice. I checked out the pool and it was empty.
It looks like they set up a bar and waitress service at the pool on the weekends.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Well, I have business in Atlanta next week, and I'm booked at both this W and the Hilton downtown. I do believe you just helped me make my decision. This sounds pretty good, even if it is a little further away from work.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 7:32 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyastrojets
Well, I have business in Atlanta next week, and I'm booked at both this W and the Hilton downtown. I do believe you just helped me make my decision. This sounds pretty good, even if it is a little further away from work.

Where is your office? With the horrible ATL traffic I would book closest to my office.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 8:07 pm

I checked in this evening. On the downside, with five guests waiting to check in, the sole clerk finally called for help -- there were multiples of valets out front in contrast. I was recognized by name and rank, and upgraded (although unless they consider suites non-standard -- base on the floor diagrams, there are five suites out of 19 rooms per floor) only one level. Room service screwed up my order, and then three people called to apologize -- unhelpful overkill, with no offer to provide anything else or in anyway atone.
The room itself is fine, although the fit and finish are poor. One positive -- they offer multiple HD channels, which is nice given the LG high def LCDs.
Overall, my sense is another weak W offering, although I candidly admit to being weak on the entire concept.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.