Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Garden Grove, (Anaheim) CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Garden Grove, (Anaheim) CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2008, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Arrow Sheraton Garden Grove, (Anaheim) CA [Master Thread]

Seems to be another hotel for the Disneyland market:
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...ropertyID=1552

Opening June 5, 2008
Old May 19, 2008, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA 2P, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Just saw this on the property's website:

Resort Fee Policy
There is a resort charge of $12 per night which covers unlimited transportation to the Disneyland resort and Disney’s California Adventure Park during the resorts operating hours. There is an additional parking [SIC] for guests with cars.

Sounds like resort charge on top of parking fee, which is a bit ridiculous for a hotel in Garden Grove that's not even that close to Disneyland.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AC E, HH Diamond
Sheraton Garden Grove - Anaheim South

Has anyone stayed at this hotel yet? It has just opened and the website only has the standard boilerplate information and pictures so there isn't much information. Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 1:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
I stayed at the Sheraton Garden Grove last night. I checked in a little before noon yesterday. It's obvious that the hotel just opened, but the check-in process was flawless and the personnel were very friendly and enthusiastic. My platinum status was recognized, and I was told that I had been upgraded to the Club Level. I was asked which amenity I preferred and informed that there was a $12 parking fee. However, there was no mention of a resort fee.

My room (706) was tastefully furnished--earth tones--and large. A counter/desk ran the full width of the room along the window, and there was a HDTV along with armoire. No refrigerator or mini-bar, which was fine with me.

The room looked brand new: The duvet cover still had creases in it, and the coffee maker had never been used. I think that a few of the rooms were still being finished, because there were maintenance people with outlet covers roaming the hallways yesterday and a few empty cartons lying about.

The Club Lounge was open for Happy Hour at 5:00 p.m., and the offerings were pretty slim: stuffed mushrooms, teriyaki ham kebabs, a plate of julienne veggies with ranch dressing, and cheese and crackers. (I didn't care, because I had just had a double-double and fries at the In-N-Out on Trask and Magnolia. ) There were also chilled soft drinks, but no alcoholic beverages that I could see. Incidentally, you can see the Crystal Cathedral from the lounge.

The bath had a nice walk-in shower, and the bed was a typical Sheraton Sweet Sleeper.

The breakfast in the Club Lounge was continental: boxed cereals and milk, fruit, a few pastries, yogurt, coffee, teas, and chilled juices. The lounge also has HDTV.

I booked at SPG.com and got a rate of $129 by choosing "Promotions & Packages" and selecting the "Show Your Card And Save - Aaa/caa Special Offers" rate. My confirmation showed a rate plan of "Retired person membership card" but I was never asked to show it. Seems like a glitch.

I was not charged the parking fee at checkout, maybe because there were many more parking spaces than guests? Anyway, the clerk at the front desk addressed me by name before looking at my folio, a nice touch.

It was a pleasant stay, and I would not hesitate to stay there again, especially at the $129 rate.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 3:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AC E, HH Diamond
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Apparently no one has stayed at this hotel so phoned the hotel this week and chatted with a friendly front desk agent.

Here is the information that I have gleaned:

- There is a club floor with a club lounge. The Club lounge serves full American breakfast and appetizers in the evening. The lounge is also open during the day for beverages. I forgot to ask but I believe drinks are complementary during evening appetizers.
- There are no suites at this hotel but platinum’s will be upgraded to club floor. Some of the rooms (not sure if all) are oversized and are about 500 sq ft.
- There is a $3 per day charge per person, over 10 years old, for the Disneyland shuttle. I'm not sure that you can opt out of this charge if you are not going to Disneyland.
- There is a $12 per day parking charge. This seems a bit odd for that end of town as a number of other hotels (such as the Hilton family hotels - a block away) don't have a parking charge.

Overall the hotel sounds good. I will probably try it out when I am down in Anaheim in September. Hopefully we can get some trip reports before that time.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jul 17, 2009 at 8:05 pm Reason: Moved into master thread without edit
Old Aug 14, 2008, 1:10 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, Platinum SPG, Platinum Hyatt, Silver Marriott, Avis First
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Thanks for the great review, Flying Buccaneer. Now if you only took some pictures...

I just got back from a stay here as well. I agree with
Flying Buccaneer regarding the description of the room. I was on the SPG floor (floor 6) and was surprised by the size of the rooms and bathrooms.

The bathroom had ample space, but only had a shower. For me, this was better than a bath because I never use them anyways, but in case anyone is travelling with family or whatnot... The shower was very big with sliding glass doors floor to about 7' high.

Bedroom was nicely furnished with a long table. It had a place for a mini-bar or refrig but nothing was there. This was kind of inconvient as I didn't have any place for leftovers, but I made due.

The pool and hot tub were in great condition, and the gym had new equipment and was fairly sized.

Parking was $12 - but no "resort fee" as previously mentioned. There are restaurants and shopping centers within a few miles - but not within walking distance. I had dinner at Downtown Disney one night and it was a quick 5 min drive. I believe they provide a shuttle to and from Disneyland if you're staying there for that...

Overall I enjoyed my stay and will probably return even though it's a bit further away from the client site than I usually stay. Sadly...no pictures...maybe next time
Old Aug 14, 2008, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Did either of you notice if there is the new Sheraton Link cyber area in the lobby?

Last edited by bigguyinpasadena; Aug 14, 2008 at 3:38 pm
Old Aug 17, 2008, 12:20 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, Platinum SPG, Platinum Hyatt, Silver Marriott, Avis First
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Did either of you notice if there is the new Sheraton Link cyber area in the lobby?
There is. I didn't use it but I believe there were 3 - 4 computers there, conveniently next to the bar
Old Oct 20, 2008, 7:27 am

Programs: yes
I stayed with this property on 10/16/08 and found Flying Buccaneer's and ederemer reviews accurate. Was UG'd to SPG floor 6 (no club access- which is on floor 7)) and loved the room. I didn't love the cylon-inspired alarm clock going off at 5am when I didn't check-in until 2330- which is why I was only there 6.5 hours. No charge for parking. $9.95 for internet access. Would gladly stay there again, especially at the $86 rate being offered right now!

Location is convenient to the GG Fwy 22 and the 57. I would guess under 15 minutes to D-land on surface streets, although my stay was related to a late-nite arrival at LAX and the great rate.

Nice follow-up email from "Director of Room Operations" for a question I had about their UG policy. Affirmed my faith in their operations.
Old Dec 17, 2008, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Stayed there once and have absolutely no reasons to return and explicitly told them that at the check out.

Had a quick look at the Club Lounge that had nothing to offer. Why have these pathetic lounges in the first place?

Rooms are new but there are no suites so why Platinums would bother come here?

Anyway if you are Hyatt Diamond the nearby Hyatt is far better place. I have never NOT received a suite there. As a Diamond you will receive a breakfast voucher that you can use at the restaurant and order anything you want off the menu or buffet.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 12:15 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Stayed here last week.

Took me about 20 minutes to drive up from SNA at 5pm and back at 8am. Got lost the first time around and ended up at the wrong Sheraton but made my way down the road fine.

This hotel is next to a target although the area itself has not much to offer, you're better off having a car.

When I arrived the property looked very clean and even the cleaning man at the entrance greeted me. As I queued for check-in a lady approached me and shook my hand, quite a weird experience seeing that she asked for my name but didn't introduce herself (she wasn't wearing any Sheraton ID or any name badge). At first I wasn't quite sure if she was part of the hotel but after observing her during my check-in time it appeared she did work there.

The idea to say hello isn't too bad, as long as you introduce yourself... In my case it didn't exactly make me feel comfortable.

SPG recognition was immediate at check-in and I was upgraded to the executive floor. Room itself was typical of modern Sheraton's although on the small side. I didn't find anything which wasn't to my satisfaction in the room (good shower, bedding, tv, alarm clock). View itself was on a disused lot next door where a hotel was planned.

Went to the lounge for hors d'oeuvres in the evening. A good selection of food and a limited selection of beverages (sierra mist, pepsi, water and some others). There weren't more than 5 guests who came during the time I was there and even then, more food was ordered. There is a PC workstation, although unfortunately the hotel does not offer wifi in the lounge.

The breakfast offering was also good and I found the hot offerings particularly tasty. At check-in I did have somewhat of an issue as I was charged 12USD for parking, something I was not informed of at check-in (had I been I would have parked my car in a neighboring road). The director of operations (who the previous night had been working in the lounge) was very friendly (knew my name and room) and took the charge off for me.

The hotel clearly shows it is very recent and modern. Some signs of work in progress still visible. The link by sheraton area is quite nice although the computers over there froze on me.

Overall I paid 125USD+ (corp. rate - although identical to spg.com rate) and felt it was expensive for the area (it is pretty much in the middle of nowhere to be honest) especially for a stay very near to Christmas. The parking charge of 12USD is also really hard to believe considering their lot is empty and there's loads of place to park your car around the area anyways. This hotel in my book is more 100USD territory (especially that the nearby Hyatt with my corporate rate is 95USD), anything higher really pushing it which may explain why this hotel has trouble in filling up.

Overall a good stay and hotel though.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:06 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Anyone stay at the Sheraton Garden Grove, Anaheim?

I've checked out the usual suspects such as Tripadvisor but wonder if any FT'ers (and Plats) have been here?

I chose this as it seems to be fairly new (finished construction in July/08) and the Cat level is an unbeatable value. When I called in to use my free Plat night, the person on the phone mentioned she believed the hotel gave a free buffet breakfast to Plats.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Mar 18, 2009 at 11:12 pm Reason: Moved into thread about the hotel
Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:19 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Stayed here recently and will be here again tomorrow night. This seems to be a standard low end (albeit new) Sheraton. The rooms are small but nicely appointed in dark woods and light colors. The materials feel very cheap but are well maintained (again because of the newness). Spacious bathrooms with a shower only.

There is a parking charge here, albeit an unwarranted one.

As a platinum, I was not offered a breakfast buffet for the weekend when the lounge was closed, but I did not inquire about this either. So they may issue coupons, but definitely not without asking (although I was given a voucher for a free drink in the club lounge on Friday evening).
Old Mar 25, 2009, 1:33 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Just stayed here for a few nights. Very new, nice enough rooms (standard sheraton), service was good when i needed it. Great value at a cat 2. 3k points/night for new hotel, close to disneyland (shuttle to disneyland stops right in front of hotel), seems like a no-brainer.

That said, if it was still a cat 4 (like it was last year) i would probably not be so quick to recommend it. But as a cat 2, great deal.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
shuttle

is there a shuttle from SNA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.