Search

American to charge for first checked bag

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2008, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
American to charge for first checked bag

Here is the article http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080521/...8Pq8fbRyayBhIF

Boy carry on is sure going to be a mess now isn't it?
Old May 21, 2008, 9:16 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Just saw this myself, $15.00 for the first checked bag.

The EasyJet model hits America.
Old May 21, 2008, 10:16 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
At least Delta is reluctant to join for now:

The planned fee on the first checked bag immediately ran into resistance. Delta Air Lines Inc. spokeswoman Betsy Talton said the Atlanta-based airline is considering all of its options in light of $130-a-barrel oil, but doesn't plan to match the $15 fee American announced.
Old May 21, 2008, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
All those folks wishing for a child-free airline might have taken one step closer to their wish. Can't imagine you'll see a lot of families on AA flights when it'll cost at least $15 to check each passenger's first bag. My family of four has trouble traveling without at least two checked bags between us. If Delta and others don't follow AA, I'll be looking elsewhere for my air travel needs, at least when I fly with the family.
Old May 21, 2008, 11:13 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
UGLY FEE!

Have a nice trip.
Old May 21, 2008, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Just saw this myself, $15.00 for the first checked bag.

The EasyJet model hits America.
Ryanair model
Old May 21, 2008, 11:39 am

Good Bye, American Airlines
Old May 21, 2008, 11:53 am

Programs: United MP
Why not just raise the fare $15? If I were shopping for a flight, and the better route only cost $15 more than a competitor then I would take it.
Old May 21, 2008, 12:01 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by alanR
Ryanair model
I wish..not everything about Ryanair is Bad. I just booked a RT flights from Liverpool-UK to Stockholm-Sweden in June total cost including taxes 4 cents^

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/cheap...t=NYO&base=LPL
Old May 21, 2008, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by sobore
UGLY FEE!

Have a nice trip.
Er, I weigh 56kg and I almost always travel with only carry-on (unless I'm travelling long-haul to a different climate). So I've been subsidising you guys that overflow into my seat, and check in two bags at up to 32kg each.

Why should you get to check in bags for 'free' that weigh more than me? It's about time we got pay as you go.
Old May 21, 2008, 2:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer
Why not just raise the fare $15? If I were shopping for a flight, and the better route only cost $15 more than a competitor then I would take it.
You are in a VERY significant minority in this regard. Airlines try to raise fares all the time, and unless everyone does they end up rolling back the increase. I'm not saying it makes sense, and I certainly will pay a few extra dollars for routing/schedule/loyalty, but many will not.

As for this fee, I'd like to pretend that it doesn't bother me since I rarely check bags anyways, but now the fight for overhead space is going to get ugly.
Old May 21, 2008, 3:22 pm

There are some exceptions:

Customers traveling on an international itinerary to destinations beyond the U.S., the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, or Canada
Customers who purchase full-fare tickets in Economy Class
Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets

This really is getting silly. The airlines are coming up with more and more ways to make money. I felt like a sucker last week when I booked tickets in business class from MSP to TUL for our niece's wedding. I knew that I had paid far more for our tickets than we should have, but I can't handle the drive and I can't sit in the economy seats because of chronic pain issues. For the first time ever, I'm actually saying that my days of flying are almost going to be nil. My husband is going to a business meeting by himself next week because I refuse to keep paying the ridiculous fares!
Old May 21, 2008, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by UncleDude
I wish..not everything about Ryanair is Bad. I just booked a RT flights from Liverpool-UK to Stockholm-Sweden in June total cost including taxes 4 cents
Not with checked luggage, airport check-in & a credit card you didn't - and the airport they use is 100km (60 miles for Neanderthals) south of Stockholm

Do you know how much it is to Stockholm as Ryanair only give a quote a price of SEK 1,300 (220USD) for the taxi - and arriving at 23:40 is liable to cause you a few problems
Old May 21, 2008, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
If they HAVE to do this now ( at only $ 130 a barrel ) whats going to happen in October ( $ 200 a barrel ) or with an strong winter with $ 250 in january?
Old May 21, 2008, 5:40 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
Closing Thread

Moderator Hat On

Oddly enough, there's already a long thread in the AA forum on this subject.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=826030

Please follow along there.

Moderator Hat Off

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.