Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Dumbest Question By US Immigrations Officer...I May Have The Winner.....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2008, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold

After deplaning my CA flight at JFK on my return leg from PEK/HKG on Sunday I had the absolutely oddest encounter with a US Immigrations Officer.

I need to preface this with the fact that I covered "homeland security' for more than 3 years as a news photographer. I documented a lot of stories with Customs and Immigrations and the Boarder Patrol. I have seen some really odd happenings. I have also received some very odd questions after handing over a passport showing me entering Kuwait for a day, Bahrain twice in a month, with no stamp showing me having left Bahrain in the middle, and the questions when my passport shows me entering Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Incheon, Tokyo in 3 days, while I'm trying to reenter the US.

......however yesterdays questions take the cake. As a US Citizen, traveling on US Passport, that shows I was born in New York and that the Passport was issued in Boston, I should have no questions about my ability to work in the United States, but yesterday I was questioned about this.

I handed over my passport and landing card and was met the the usual "you were away on business? what do you do?" I answered that I am a photographer and I was in Hong Kong photographing a wedding. She then asked if I worked in the US, I said yes,. She asked if I was connecting to another flight and I told her my kids were waiting outside and I was headed to the beach to see my folks before heading home............... The next question threw me for a total loop, she asked "do you have a visa to work here in the US?" I informed the agent that she was looking at my US Passport and that as a US Citizen I need no papers to work in the US. The agent looked up at me like I had pissed her off and demanded to know if I had a visa or a permit that would allow me to work in the United States.........we went round and round for a minute or two.

The Immigrations Officer took my passport and went to get a supervisor. The supervisor looked very confused when he approached the passport control booth. He had the passport in his hand and the agent sat down and stated "he has no visa to work in the United States." The sup'v looked at the cover of my US passport , again confused, flipped it open looked at the photo, looked at me and said "where are you coming from?" I answered "Hong Kong via Beijing" He took the stamper, stamped the book, flipped it shut and said "Welcome Home Sir." As I walked off I could see he closed her lane (Lane 21, at JFK T1, around 2:10pm)

Shouldn't a Immigrations Officer know a US Citizen does not need a visa or permit to work in the United States? Isn't there an academy they must attend first (I know the answer to that one)?

Last edited by sefrischling; May 27, 2008 at 5:49 am
Old May 26, 2008, 7:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Jeez, Louise.

If not a winnah, at least a contendah.
Old May 26, 2008, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Ding-ding-ding, we have a winner.
Absolutely priceless! Thanks for sharing.
Old May 26, 2008, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Wow -- that tops any of my experiences.
Old May 26, 2008, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
I was half-waiting to get deported back to PEK.

Of course I had no visa for China, I was in-transit for under 24hrs (under 90 min in both directions), so no visa was required for Mainland China.......so what would happen then?

Last edited by sefrischling; May 26, 2008 at 7:34 pm
Old May 26, 2008, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Wow. Never had anything like that before.

Wonder how long before that person ends up as a TSA doc checker.....
Old May 26, 2008, 8:08 pm

Programs: UA gold, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Ding Ding. TKO.

I do not think anyone could top that. Perhaps she is now a meter maid.
Old May 26, 2008, 8:47 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Wow - that tops the time I got questioned in SFO why I was entering USA en route from NZ to Anchorage.
Old May 26, 2008, 8:59 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold

Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor...
Old May 26, 2008, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is *AMERICA*! Why do you think a US passport gives you any rights here?
Old May 26, 2008, 9:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
As astonishing as her inquiry was, I wonder if the agent got caught up in a "Oh, Duh!" moment and didn't feel she could save face. Cuz, god forbid you come off human once in a while.
Old May 26, 2008, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I'd ask to see HER work papers! Jeeeeeze.
Old May 26, 2008, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA Gld Lifetime, EK
There is NO WAY in hell anybody can top this in my humble opinion. You definitely have THE winner as far as I am concerned.
Old May 26, 2008, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by essxjay
As astonishing as her inquiry was, I wonder if the agent got caught up in a "Oh, Duh!" moment and didn't feel she could save face. Cuz, god forbid you come off human once in a while.
You know, I thought of this. I thought she made a mistake and just didn't know how to say "oops." But then why get your supervisor?

The last time I was so dumbfounded by sheer oddity in the Immigrations/Customs entry are at JFK T1 was while photographing a story for a national magazine on the merging of Immigrations and Customs. Except while shooting the story I witnessed a Nigerian woman who had a few million dollars in counterfeit cash in her bags while getting seached by Customs. She then tried to bride the two Customs Officers with "$2,000,000 each" if they turned a blind eye. One officer was laughing so hard as he explained to her that bribing a Federal Officer is a Federal crime and then reminded her that her money was fake and worthless in any capacity, except for convicting her in court.
Old May 26, 2008, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by sefrischling
She then tried to bride the two Customs Officers with "$2,000,000 each" if they turned a blind eye.
No, her English was bad. She just wanted to marry one of them, and was offering a wedding gift!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.