Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

time sensitive advice needed, which NYC-IAD will get me there w/WX this afternoon?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

time sensitive advice needed, which NYC-IAD will get me there w/WX this afternoon?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2008, 1:58 pm
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

for how this turned out in the end, see my post #20 below...

appreciate all your help in advance!

I need to get to IAD for 847 to EZE this evening. I was scheduled for the 7:20pm EWR-IAD, but looks like there is a ground stop and possible thunderstorms and delays piling up. Other options are LGA and JFK, but I would need to act soon to get there (and I don't know if even the res line would see any posted delay to allow alt airport, but I would be able to tell by the incoming 5pm IAD-EWR if it's going to go to @#$!). Would UA 847 LGA-IAD be a better bet, since it's the same flight number, mainline 757 (maybe able to get out when smaller RJs can't) for the connection?

Thank you!

Last edited by TA; May 27, 2008 at 10:39 pm
Old May 27, 2008, 2:15 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Your duplicate post from this morning was moved by a moderator to the Washington DC forum and can be found HERE.

Quickly answering your question, mainline usually get less messed up than regional flights. At this point, get out of the NYC area asap!
Old May 27, 2008, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by TA
appreciate all your help in advance!

I need to get to IAD for 847 to EZE this evening. I was scheduled for the 7:20pm EWR-IAD, but looks like there is a ground stop and possible thunderstorms and delays piling up. Other options are LGA and JFK, but I would need to act soon to get there (and I don't know if even the res line would see any posted delay to allow alt airport, but I would be able to tell by the incoming 5pm IAD-EWR if it's going to go to @#$!). Would UA 847 LGA-IAD be a better bet, since it's the same flight number, mainline 757 (maybe able to get out when smaller RJs can't) for the connection?

Thank you!
Give up on air and take the train. Your'e at EWR. You just have to get from DC to IAD.
Old May 27, 2008, 2:26 pm

At this point, do you have any other options other than your original itinerary? It appears the next LGA-IAD flight is in 10 minutes. If you're at LGA, get on that plane, otherwise, the next bank of flights from EWR/JFK/LGA is not until 7pm-ish.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Quickly answering your question, mainline usually get less messed up than regional flights. At this point, get out of the NYC area asap!
What MileageAddict said. When flow control hits, the bigger/fuller plane gets out first, especially if it's a domestic tag to an int'l flight.
TA
Original Poster

the 1K line has just protected me onto the 7:20pm LGA-IAD flight (UA847 continuing to EZE), so now it is a matter of choosing which trigger to pull and which flight to take...

ok, although I can already see that the flight status of the inbound IAD-EWR that I take to go 7:20pm EWR-IAD is already delayed, not arriving in to *EWR* until 7:42pm.
Old May 27, 2008, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
What about US shuttle LGA-DCA, then bus to IAD? At least that way there are plenty of flights...
Old May 27, 2008, 2:30 pm
TA
Original Poster

At this point, do you have any other options other than your original itinerary? It appears the next LGA-IAD flight is in 10 minutes. If you're at LGA, get on that plane, otherwise, the next bank of flights from EWR/JFK/LGA is not until 7pm-ish.
I am at home outside EWR in NJ. No way to get to LGA in time for the 4pm flight. I am thinking I will now take the 7:20pm LGA-IAD, since that is all that's left that is not showing delayed.
Old May 27, 2008, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by TA
the 1K line has just protected me onto the 7:20pm LGA-IAD flight (UA847 continuing to EZE), so now it is a matter of choosing which trigger to pull and which flight to take...

ok, although I can already see that the flight status of the inbound IAD-EWR that I take to go 7:20pm EWR-IAD is already delayed, not arriving in to *EWR* until 7:42pm.
There is a metal change at IAD, so I'm not sure what being protected on the LGA-IAD will do for you in terms of IAD-EZE...

If you have to be there, don't count on this one.
Old May 27, 2008, 2:32 pm

Storms are cropping up more in the northern NJ area than in northern Virginia. Then again, weather forecasts are accurate 50% of the time.

Murphy's law: your EWR flight will be delayed due to weather and your EZE flight will leave on time.

Amtrak is not an option at this point (I too a peek at their schedule) so I'd make a run for the LGA-IAD mainline flight.
Old May 27, 2008, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by TA
I am at home outside EWR in NJ. No way to get to LGA in time for the 4pm flight. I am thinking I will now take the 7:20pm LGA-IAD, since that is all that's left that is not showing delayed.
But isn't the problem that it might not show as delayed until it's too late to go another way?

If you absolutely have to be in EZE, I wouldn't pin my hopes on the 7:20...
Old May 27, 2008, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by ludocdoc
Give up on air and take the train. Your'e at EWR. You just have to get from DC to IAD.
Nevermind. You're just too late to catch a train that gets in at 7:30 or so. Pray for less rain!
Old May 27, 2008, 2:40 pm
TA
Original Poster

Originally Posted by as219
But isn't the problem that it might not show as delayed until it's too late to go another way?

If you absolutely have to be in EZE, I wouldn't pin my hopes on the 7:20...
No other choice now I believe (?)

Thank you all, am leaving for LGA in 10 minutes!
Old May 27, 2008, 3:38 pm

As of right this minute, changing your outbound to LGA was a smart move. The original itinerary flight out of EWR is already delayed about an hour.

Good luck!
Old May 27, 2008, 4:17 pm

As of right this minute, changing your outbound to LGA was a smart move. The original itinerary flight out of EWR is already delayed about an hour.

Good luck!
And the aircraft for 847 LGA-IAD is already at LGA (arrived as 686 from ORD). But according to the FAA departure delays out of LGA are averaging 2+ hours and increasing due to the t-storms, so the OP will need lots of luck to get out anywhere close to on time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.