Community
Wiki Posts
Search

getting from DTW to Windsor...help

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2008, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

getting from DTW to Windsor...help

Hey guys (and gals) I unfortunatley have to go to windsor on the weekend to visit a relative who is ill.... I was going DSM-dtw-ykf. I am going to cancel the DTW-YKF leg and go to DSM-DTW and hopefully get to windsor via CAB, car service etc..... Anyone done this??? suggestions??? Anyone going from DTW to windsor on friday evening :-)

Help is appreciated!

Matt
Old May 28, 2008, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Haven't done it personally, but Robert Q Airbus would seem to be the way to go. They have their own pick up stand at the airport --
http://www.robertq.com/Airbus/index.html
Old May 29, 2008, 5:39 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by mmckaig
Hey guys (and gals) I unfortunatley have to go to windsor on the weekend to visit a relative who is ill.... I was going DSM-dtw-ykf. I am going to cancel the DTW-YKF leg and go to DSM-DTW and hopefully get to windsor via CAB, car service etc..... Anyone done this??? suggestions??? Anyone going from DTW to windsor on friday evening :-)

Help is appreciated!

Matt
Some quick thoughts:

1) Bring a passport, while they're not required right now at least, I wouldn't even think about going to Canada without one.

2) Plan on crossing at the tunnel near the Ren Cen in downtown Detroit. There's major construction on I75 near the Ambassador bridge.

3) Think about renting a car. Public transit at DTW essentially doesn't exist.

4) You'll probably be crossing during rush hour on a Friday night, allow plenty of time.

Bob H
Old May 29, 2008, 6:42 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Take a rental car (Hertz is just 24-30$/weekend day, but beware of the high toll for the tunnel) or the MetroAirport taxi which has a 55$ flat rate to Windsor:
http://www.metroairport.com/transportation/

As mentioned above there are also a few shuttle services.

This weekend the Red Bull Airrace is in town, so expect serious traffic both in Windsor and downtown Detroit.
Old May 29, 2008, 6:42 am

Programs: NW/DL GE, CO GE
Not sure why you were planning to go all the way to YKF, since the trek back down to Windsor would be 2 hours. Another alternative (for future reference) is flying into London (YXU) which is a lot closer to Windsor. That said, you may as well just fly into DTW. I would suggest renting a car for sure.
Old May 29, 2008, 9:47 am

Programs: DL Plat
I was in a cab at DTW a few weeks ago-- there was a notice on the placard that there is a flat fee for travel to Windsor (I think it was like $65) and you are responsible for the bridge crossing fee. I'd guess that the cabbies run to Windsor pretty frequently if there is a flat fee in place. It would probably be the fastest way to get there if you don't want to rent a car (and I'm not sure what the policy for car rentals is if you want to drive outside the country).
Old May 29, 2008, 10:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by chococat
(and I'm not sure what the policy for car rentals is if you want to drive outside the country).
Driving a rental across the border in Detroit is no issue. Some agents on both sides ask who owns the vehicle you are driving but stating that its a rental is usually sufficient.
Old May 29, 2008, 10:40 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Robert Q: depends on the schedulle and you will need to book ahead of time or try to book at the last minute. Lots of waiting around. The speed of going through customs depends on the rest of those on the shuttle (once took me 2 hours). They drop you off at a hotel along the highway and you need to take a cab wherever you are going.

Taxis: expensive and you will need to go both ways.

Car: cheaper and faster
Old May 29, 2008, 12:18 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
IIRC Canadian citizens cannot rent a car in the US and drive it into Canada. Apparently it is to avoid scamming of taxes and such on cars purchased to the US and imported to Canada. US citizens have no problem doing so.

Bridge or tunnel fee is around $4 each way. Friday evening might make for a busy crossing as many 19-20 year olds are headed to Canada for the lowered drinking/gambling age. Check the traffic reports (XM216, AM950) as you approach Detroit from the airport to decide if the bridge or tunnel is the way to go.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 9:28 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum
Tunnel Bus $2

Assuming you can get from DTW airport (romulus) to downtown detroit city, there is a terminal station that has a TUNNEL BUS. You can take this BUS from detroit to windsor (and back) for $2 each way. The bus will take you through the tunnel and then through customs.

This might not solve all your connection issues, but is one leg that is worth mentioning for those travelling from Detroit city to Windsor City. I like to use this service when I go to Detroit Tiger games, then stay overnight at the Windsor Hotel (Ramada), it is directly at the bus station drop off point. I find it very reasonable. I have often left my car parked in a detroit garage and then take the $2 bus to windsor for the night. NO DRUNK DRIVING !

here is a link:
http://www.dwtunnel.com/bus.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.