Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Mileage Award Requirements Increase [effective Oct 1, 2008] - Read it and weep

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2008, 8:20 am
Moderator, OneWorld
Original Poster

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP

http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...ardChanges.jsp
Old May 29, 2008, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Looks like my EVIPS just increased in value
Old May 29, 2008, 8:34 am

The argument is sometimes made that 'prices increase due to inflation, so why not award levels?'

But while a $1 item last year may cost more than a dollar this year, if that dollar were invested last year it might grow to more than a dollar this year. It roughly balances out.

In contrast, we get zero interest on the saved miles in our accounts.
Old May 29, 2008, 8:40 am

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
it's not that bad, actually.. the increased award levels to asia are still lower than NW, with better availability than NW. if AA does this set of increases, and doesn't announce further increases for a couple of years, i have no complaints...
Old May 29, 2008, 8:41 am

Programs: AA PLT
At least it wasn't across the board increases. There really aren't that many that increased and the ones that did are small increases. Inflation
Old May 29, 2008, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP 0.8MM, Skyward, SPG Gold
The worst change for me is the 15K miles required for upgrades from a B fare to/from South America and Europe. That is my favorite use of miles.
Old May 29, 2008, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Thumbs down

$150 co-pay to upgrade on an AB6 to LIM?
Old May 29, 2008, 8:53 am

Programs: AA 4.0 MM Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Looks like my EVIPS just increased in value
What about the rest of ours?
Old May 29, 2008, 8:54 am
chj

Programs: BA, UA, DL
I'll second IST_Flyer's comment. As a Plat flying TATL frequently, often at peak times, my Y->C upgrades have cleared about 75% of the time. With elite bonus, I get close to 7,000 miles on that route, so with the Citi card and some domestic travel I can request upgrades every single time, and get them mostly. The economics change significantly at 15,000 miles per segment.

This might just tip my TATL business over to BA. The ratios don't work for WT+ to Club upgrades every time, but Club is better than AA J and WT+ is MUCH better than AA Y. I can book into either Y or W for business travel - probably was a fool not to have switched sooner.
Old May 29, 2008, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by Seat1A
it's not that bad, actually.. the increased award levels to asia are still lower than NW, with better availability than NW. if AA does this set of increases, and doesn't announce further increases for a couple of years, i have no complaints...
True, however, don't forget that NW PE status (its equivalent of EXP) is only 75,000 miles, and the RDM bonus for the PE is 125% to compared to AA's EXP at 100%. Still though could have been much worse. These are tough times, and we should be glad that AAdvantage is still one of if not the best legacy program out there. Safe travels.
Old May 29, 2008, 9:16 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Originally Posted by Joka
At least it wasn't across the board increases. There really aren't that many that increased and the ones that did are small increases. Inflation
misread chart - deleted original response.

Last edited by freeupgrade; May 29, 2008 at 9:43 am
Old May 29, 2008, 9:17 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
Had a feeling this would happen and just booked my daughter a Business Milesaver LHR-HNL in Jan next year for 90K this morning before this was released - and is now ticketed and miles deducted - glad I didn't wait till this afternoon as saved 10K !
Old May 29, 2008, 9:30 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
domestic F milesaver went from 45 to 65K - about a 45% increase.

someone please let me know if my math is wrong.
It's not your math, it's your eyes.

The "F" MileSAAver is being raised from 45K to 50K. The "Premium" MileSAAver (3 class planes) is being raised from 60K to 65K.
Old May 29, 2008, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
meh

5,000 miles here, 10,000 miles there isn't that big of a deal. At least we are talking US, UA, DL, or NW devaluation.
Old May 29, 2008, 9:31 am

Programs: AA 4.0 MM Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by holmedown
Had a feeling this would happen and just booked my daughter a Business Milesaver LHR-HNL in Jan next year for 90K this morning before this was released - and is now ticketed and miles deducted - glad I didn't wait till this afternoon as saved 10K !
Aren't the old numbers still in effect until October 1?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.