Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

AA raises award mileage, online redemption fee - how long until DL follows?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2008, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR

I note that AA is raising the mileage required for a number of their awards... AND implementing a $5 fee to redeem awards through aa.com. Changes take effect this fall and winter. If you want an award ticket, you can either pay $5 online or the telephone service fee.

The online booking fee is most troubling.

Given the penchant of DL to "enhance" the program, and given that it costs more to process an online revenue transaction (credit card fees and the like), I wonder how long it will be before we see the next "enhancement" or additional fees on DL's end.....
Old May 29, 2008, 12:34 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Found the info....

Last edited by AsiaTraveler; May 29, 2008 at 12:36 pm Reason: Nevermind...
Old May 29, 2008, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
My bet is that AA's award pricing changes that will go effective later this year are not as substantial as the award pricing changes that DL wants to implement.
Old May 29, 2008, 1:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
AND implementing a $5 fee to redeem awards through aa.com.
I find the principle of this a bit troubling, and perhaps even fodder for the inevitable class action lawsuit.

Ignoring the fact that it makes no sense whatsoever to have a rewards program that people have to pay when they redeem the "free" travel awards, the ability to just unilaterally add this fee irks me. It's $5.00 now, but what if AA had made it $100? Or, $200? If it can unilaterally impose a fee, then there is no limit to what the fee can be.
Old May 29, 2008, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
I find the principle of this a bit troubling, and perhaps even fodder for the inevitable class action lawsuit.

Ignoring the fact that it makes no sense whatsoever to have a rewards program that people have to pay when they redeem the "free" travel awards, the ability to just unilaterally add this fee irks me. It's $5.00 now, but what if AA had made it $100? Or, $200? If it can unilaterally impose a fee, then there is no limit to what the fee can be.
What's worse is the specter of the US carriers implementing a fee to book revenue tickets online. Some of the European carriers are doing so.... there may not be an issue with credit card agreements as such a fee would apply to all bookings.
Old May 29, 2008, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
http://bp3.blogger.com/_Ae9WURKuCro/...600-h/fees.JPG

David
Old May 29, 2008, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
AA started charging $15 for the first checked bag and DL refused to match it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.