Wiki Posts
Search

If I smile and ask VERY nicely .......

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2008, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
If I smile and ask VERY nicely .......

I know companion fares aren't eligible for upgrades, but have you ever charmed the GA into one? I'll be travelling ATL/ABQ on 7/3 with a friend's mother who rarely flies. It would be really nice for us to get upgraded to F since this is an early 85th birthday trip for her, and she's never flown up front.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 1:38 am

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
50:1 odds.

I've been a charmer/flirt all my life and always been able to use it to my advantage but for whatever reason, with DL, it just doesn't work for me. MAYBE it will work if there is nobody in the queue and there are still seats left, but even then, it's a stretch.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 6:53 am

Programs: DL FC, NW
Originally Posted by photojojo
50:1 odds.

I've been a charmer/flirt all my life and always been able to use it to my advantage but for whatever reason, with DL, it just doesn't work for me. MAYBE it will work if there is nobody in the queue and there are still seats left, but even then, it's a stretch.

The main reason is everyone looking for an up is on a list. If you deviate from the list, the GA has to specify why they did that. If they get caught because of a complaint, it doesn't look good for them and they could get into a lot of trouble. They use to have this power, but not anymore.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 7:30 am

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

I agree ... there would have to be plenty of open seats in F and a very thin upgrade list ... then, I think photojojo's 50:1 odds kick in.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 8:33 am

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, PC Diamond
Maybe best bet would be to hope your upgrade clears with availability still out there, then let the birthday girl have your seat. FA might let you jump in an open space as well, but even if you don't get it, she'll get that first flight up front
Old Jun 1, 2008, 10:13 am

Good luck out of ATL. They are under the microscope and rarely do things that go beyond the procedures, of course, unless IROP's erupt.

You might have a better chance out of ABQ on your return.

-b-
Old Jun 1, 2008, 12:28 pm

Programs: Skyteam
I say 10:1, if you bring GA some gift.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
If you fly the right route at the right time, the U/G list will not be sufficient to fill F and U/G's will be offered for sale. Don't be a cheapskate - buy Granny a seat up front.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 1:05 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
I'm thinking the day before a 4 day holiday weekend, leaving from a major Delta hub, there won't be too many empty seats in First anyway.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 1:07 pm

Chances are: First will be SOLD OUT on July 3, so "slim chance"
Old Jun 1, 2008, 1:26 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Good luck and happy birthday!
Old Jun 1, 2008, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
If a gate upgrade could be bought for Granny, she'd be in a fare class to clear into first as a companion, anyway.
Old Jun 1, 2008, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
I've had it done in the past. The FA moved my brother up. He was on an L fare and did not have status, but I was Plat. Just ask nicely. If there are seats open when the boarding door closes, you may get lucky...
Old Jun 2, 2008, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by Denolloyd
I've had it done in the past. The FA moved my brother up. He was on an L fare and did not have status, but I was Plat. Just ask nicely. If there are seats open when the boarding door closes, you may get lucky...
THAT WAS THEN -- THIS IS NOW. Sorry but NOT going to happen over the
July 4 long weekend out of ATL. Kiss up as you may.

Last edited by Randy Petersen; Jun 5, 2008 at 8:19 am Reason: font size change to normal posting style of FlyerTalk
Old Jun 2, 2008, 1:02 am

Programs: UA1k, DL
Originally Posted by Boston_Bulldog

THAT WAS THEN -- THIS IS NOW. Sorry but NOT going to happen over the
July 4 long weekend out of ATL. Kiss up as you may.
Whoa there, easy buddy...

The OP asked "I know companion fares aren't eligible for upgrades, but have you ever charmed the GA into one?" Hence my response.

In addition, I mentioned "If there are seats open when the boarding door closes, you may get lucky...". I think I was pretty clear.

Lastly, when was the "Then" you are reffering to? My experience was this year.

btw, not sure how long you have been on web forums, but typing in all caps is considered shouting. Just an fyi...

Last edited by Randy Petersen; Jun 5, 2008 at 8:21 am Reason: font size change per original edit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.