Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Starwood in the Caribbean [Master Thread]

Starwood in the Caribbean [Master Thread]

Old May 11, 2004, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Starwood in the Caribbean [Master Thread]

I am trying to burn some Delta miles (that have been almost impossible to burn domestic or otherwise lately) and I've been checking out the options to the Caribbean. Delta will take me and my family of 4 kids (ages 1-14) to San Juan Puerto Rico during Spring Break next year. I haven't called to check other islands yet. My question is if you were scheduling a trip on Delta to the Caribbean, what island and SPG resort would you choose and why?

We love to snorkel and play in the waves and pool.

Thanks for your insights!
Old May 11, 2004, 5:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Not a whole lot to choose from. Generally speaking, mixed reviews on Westin St. John (great island, mediocre resort), Westin Rio Mar and Westin Grand Cayman. There are plenty of posts that you can find with the search option, then perhaps you can narrow your search and/or ask specific questions.

You can fly Delta to STT (St. Thomas, USVI), SJU or GCM, I believe.

Last edited by cactuspete; May 11, 2004 at 5:21 pm
Old Feb 18, 2005, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 2P, Starwood Gold
Starwood Caribbean Resort recommendation?

I am planning a first time trip to the Caribbean for 4-6 nights sometime in April of this year using points. In general, which Starwood resorts are recommended the most? I plan to golf, snorkel, water sports, spa etc.
It would be nice if there are attractions/culture/things to do outside of the resort as well.
Puerto Rico? St. John? Lucaya? Cayman?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited by atsu8; Feb 18, 2005 at 12:17 pm
Old Feb 18, 2005, 12:47 pm

The worst by far is The Sheraton in Bahamas Paradise Island... It was no paradise when I was there... I believe they are now closed... though.
Old Feb 18, 2005, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Met my sis and her family at Lucaya and loved it. She then went to Cayman and said that even though it was more expensive, she liked Lucaya much more. I think it was the fact that we went for a relaxing pool, kick back resort atmosphere whereas the Cayman's would be more for an adventurous diving, hiking kind of place.
Just my 2 cents.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 3:53 pm

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Starwood in the Caribbean

I am planning on taking a 10 day vacation this December/January to the caribbean. Any suggestions on the best Starwood properties?
Old Oct 11, 2005, 7:50 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Starwood Plt, Marriott Silver, Others
My wife and I loved the Westin St. John in the USVI. Amazing property, great service, the beach is great, and the other beaches on the island are incredible.

They have a great mix of quiet/relaxing location & activities and family fun. Diving, boat trips, sailing, parasailing and more right off of the dock in the quiet bay.

If you want a little more freedom, you can get a "villa" there, which are one - three bedroom with a kitchen, living room, terrace, private/semi-private pools, great views and as the villas are up the hill from the main property there is golf cart service between the beach/lobby/store/pool and your villa.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 11:01 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
I'm a fan of the Westin on Grand Cayman. Hotel is nice, staff is great, food is great and most importantly, I love the island. Of course, YMMV based on a slew of things.

I strongly reccomend researching the island as much, if not more, than the property itself.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 2:48 am

I am also a great fan of of the Westin Grand Cayman. WE had a fantastic family vacation there last year.

Next year I am booked into the Westin ST John , so will be intresting compairing the two of them.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 8:16 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
I 2 loved the property...

..but I found the restaurants so so and very expensive.
Old Oct 12, 2005, 12:29 pm

I've heard the Westin in the Bahamas is really nice

Had a friend who stayed at the Westin Our Lucaya and loved it. I believe it also made the Conde Nast Gold list last year.

I stayed at the Westin Rio Mar over Memorial day and really enjoyed it. If you want to go to a resort and just relax it's nice. The staff was really friendly and I was upgraded to an oceanview suite while staying on points (plat).
They had a nice looking golf course, two pools (with waterslide), tennis, and a long secluded beach. There's not much to do nearby so if you want nightlife, action, etc. it's probably not the best place to go. Old San Juan and the Forts protecting it are not to be missed, but they are a 45min drive away. I think it's near a national park/rainforest which I've heard is fun to tour as well. Other than that there's nothing nearby that would take you off the property.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 4:10 am
ET

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, SPG
Starwood in the Caribbean

I have a 50% off cert that I'd like to use for a stay in the Caribbean next year. Looking for somewhere other than Grand Cayman, Aruba/Bonaire/Curacao, or Mexican Caribbean (been to both those places). I tried the *wood online booking to search, but though they list a lot of places (like Turks and Caicos), when I click on it, it doesn't find any properties (so why list the country, then?). It will be me, my husband & 2 little children (1.yrs & 4yrs by travel time). Ideally we'd like to spend some time scuba diving and have some things the little kids would enjoy. I think there is one Bahamas listing, but something about it wasn't that appealing when I was reading up on it (can't remember what). Are there very few *wood properties in the Caribbean? Can someone recommend a place they've stayed at and really enjoyed? Thanks.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin...?regionCode=CA

caribbean listing

they are all cat 4 except one

The Westin St. John Resort & Villas (cat 5)

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/luxury...a&brandCode=LC

luxury collection has some in mexico, all cat 4

the st regis anguilla resort was originally scheduled for 2007, not sure what the latest estimate is

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 20, 2006 at 7:37 am
Old Oct 20, 2006, 7:52 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
List of all Caribbean area properties

Your choices are limited, but they are expanding. You might want to again consider Our Lucaya in the Bahamas unless you're going when it's cooler than you want it to be. (Off the coast from Ft Lauderdale, it does get seasonally cool.)

Here is my exhaustive list of all Starwood properties around the Caribbean area as I know them. I've ordered these by location on a map starting with Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula and going clockwise around the Caribbean. I have not included any properties on the Pacific coast, but you might want to consider some of them, too.

Hacienda Puerta Campeche, Mexico (and the other 4 inland Haciendas on the west side of the Yucatan Peninsula)
Le Meridien Cancun, Mexico
Westin Cancun, Mexico

Westin Casuarina, Grand Cayman

Westin Roco Ki, Dominican Republic (opening 2008)

Sheraton Old San Juan, Puerto Rico
[LEFT STARWOOD: Westin Rio Mar, Puerto Rico]
[LEFT STARWOOD: Four Points by Sheraton Palmas del Mar Resort, Humacao, Puerto Rico]

W Retreat & Spa - Vieques, Puerto Rico (formerly Martineau Bay Resort, Vieques)
Four Points by Sheraton Caguas Real Hotel & Suites, Puerto Rico (Inland. About 25 miles from the coastline.)

Westin St John, USVI

[LEFT STARWOOD: St Regis Temenos, Anguilla]
[LEFT STARWOOD: St Regis Temenos Villas, Anguilla]

Westin St Maarten Dawn Beach

Westin Le Paradis St Lucia (opening schedule 2008?)

Le Meridien Pegasus, Georgetown, Guayana (not really Caribbean at all, but on the northeast coast of South America)

Westin Aruba Resort (Became Westin on Dec 20, 2006)

Bahamas and Florida:
Sheraton Cable Beach Resort (former Radisson Cable Beach) opened June 2007 with newly renovated rooms. The second wing renovations finished in Jan 2008.
GONE: Cotton Bay Villas, Eleuthera (Luxury Collection. Opening date unknown.) (hotel cancelled?)
GONE: Sheraton at Our Lucaya, Freeport, Grand Bahama Island (left SPG)
GONE: Westin at Our Lucaya, Freeport, Grand Bahama Island (left SPG for Radisson)
GONE: St Regis, W, and Westin at Baha Mar, Cable Beach, Nassau, New Providence, Bahamas (opening 2010?) (will get non-SPG flags)

[GONE: Sheraton Beach Resort Key Largo, Florida (left Starwood Dec 20, 2006)]
Westin Key West, Florida
Sunset Key Guest Cottages, Key West, Florida
Sheraton Suites Key West, Florida
Numerous mainland Florida properties

Last edited by sc flier; Aug 2, 2011 at 1:13 pm Reason: updates for some properties that are cancelled or going with other flags.
Old Oct 20, 2006, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so anguilla is definitely 2008 now.
Martineau Bay Resort, Vieques, Puerto Rico (No SPG participation. Scheduled to close April 2006 for approx 10 months of renovations. Will reopen as W Vieques.)
april 2007 right?
St Regis Temenos Villas, Anguilla (very limited SPG. extremely expensive)
they don't participate at all. i would consider staying there if they let you earn points. but starwood won't let properties only allow earning will they? rates are something like $700-$1200 per bedroom per night IIRC.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.