Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Who has the priority? Award seat (XC) waitlist or Y Upgraders?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2008, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC

I have been getting mixed messages even from United Reps. My wife is traveling from PVG to ORD in two days and she is waitlisted for an XC seat. According to seatcounter, they have opened XF seats but not XC seats. I called the 1K line and asked whether my wife will have a chance to get a business class seat. The lady told me that they would release Y upgraders before they would release XC waitlisters. However, someone from this board and a gate agent told me before that XC wailisters had priority over the Y upgraders.

Which one is correct?
Old Jun 10, 2008, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the DM XC waitlist should clear first, since it's "paid business," so to speak. It should go on the FFCC list. Before the DM, they're totally different lists, so not really related.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
On the DM XC waitlist should clear first, since it's "paid business," so to speak. It should go on the FFCC list. Before the DM, they're totally different lists, so not really related.
What does DM mean?
Old Jun 10, 2008, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by naumank
What does DM mean?
Departure Management. That's the waitlist they use starting about 4 hours before the flight.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:00 pm

Are XC and NC different fare buckets though? Because sometimes they may only open NC and not XC. For transcon flights they always open N/XF before they open C, so there are no worries if C is under-sold (and even the number of C seats may not be an accurate indication of what is to come, I observed many flights with C2 2 wks prior that become widely open on day of departure for both u/gs and awards). It is usually 24 or less that X/NC pop up.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
I have been getting mixed messages even from United Reps. My wife is traveling from PVG to ORD in two days and she is waitlisted for an XC seat. According to seatcounter, they have opened XF seats but not XC seats. I called the 1K line and asked whether my wife will have a chance to get a business class seat. The lady told me that they would release Y upgraders before they would release XC waitlisters. However, someone from this board and a gate agent told me before that XC wailisters had priority over the Y upgraders.

Which one is correct?
IME, at the gate, XC clears before NC. The former gets an FFCC DM card, the latter UGDG; FFCC always clears before UGDG.

That said, I too have gotten conflicting information from the 1K desk. I have been flatly told that at the gate, upgraders come before XF/XC. I'm pretty sure this is wrong, though.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Too often when waitlisting for XC or XF the GA asks how I intend to sponsor my upgrade... Grrr.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by boifromtroy
Too often when waitlisting for XC or XF the GA asks how I intend to sponsor my upgrade... Grrr.
Don't get me started...
Old Jun 10, 2008, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
Are XC and NC different fare buckets though?
Yes.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 2:48 pm

Definitely make sure that you explain your situation to the agent when you check in to make sure you are on the FFCC list. I assumed everything was fine on my way back from SYD to SFO on an XC ticket and sat in the back of the bus while two UGS upgrades cleared since I was not on the right list. When I pointed out to the GA that I should be ahead of them, she simply stated "no one is ahead of these people."
Old Jun 10, 2008, 2:53 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
Are XC and NC different fare buckets though?
Yes and NC>/ XC. Real income+miles > miles. XC is miles, NC is $$+miles.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by fastair
Yes and NC>/ XC. Real income+miles > miles. XC is miles, NC is $$+miles.
Can you clarify what you mean by "greater than." Are you saying that all waitlisted NCs are accommodated before XCs?
Old Jun 10, 2008, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by boolean64
Definitely make sure that you explain your situation to the agent when you check in to make sure you are on the FFCC list. I assumed everything was fine on my way back from SYD to SFO on an XC ticket and sat in the back of the bus while two UGS upgrades cleared since I was not on the right list. When I pointed out to the GA that I should be ahead of them, she simply stated "no one is ahead of these people."
Sorry for asking these basic questions. What does FFCC stand for?
Old Jun 10, 2008, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Sorry for asking these basic questions. What does FFCC stand for?
FFCC doesn't stand for anything per se, but it's a high priority waitlist for F and C space (first and business). It clears before UGDG (which stands for upgrade/downgrade).

A good thread is here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=756312
Old Jun 10, 2008, 8:49 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Originally Posted by as219
Can you clarify what you mean by "greater than." Are you saying that all waitlisted NCs are accommodated before XCs?
Not all the times, but many times, IM releases more NC seats than XC seats.
So, prior to DM, NC is more likely to clear over XC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.