Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Tahiti (French Polynesia) - OW or beach front, dare I ask?

Tahiti (French Polynesia) - OW or beach front, dare I ask?

Old Jun 11, 2008, 2:20 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Arrow Tahiti (French Polynesia) - OW or beach front, dare I ask?

I didn't want to post this in the other thread because I know it would get lost, sorry.

Now before I ask this, please no sticks and stone. I'm treading lightly with the question.

Is the OW bungalow really the way to go? I know it the best at any given property and I'm sure they are wonderful but wouldn't a beach front bungalow be interesting as well since you have the sand, which I assume is fabulous and the water. Jumping off your balcony to the blue water sound spectacular but so does having sand at your back door.

Any thoughts?
Old Jun 11, 2008, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Which property are you talking about? You mentioned the name of an Island not a hotel.

If you actually mean the island of Tahiti, there are two properties. A Sheraton and a Le Meridien. I'd vote for option three....get off the island of Tahiti!!!!!

If you mean French Polynesia, there are 6 properties....2 on Tahiti, 1 on Moorea and 3 on Bora Bora (or it's surronding Motu). Having been to 3 of them in the last year, the answer to your question is no. The over water bungalos are FAR superior.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1k
If you are asking--then cost must be a factor. That being the case--go with the beach front. You will be swimming around the ow ones anyway and the only thing you will be missing is walking out onto your balcony and jumping in the water. You will be walking 10 feet to the water and walking in from the beach. I have stayed in both on Moorea and Bora Bora--and would have to say it was nice in the OW but the cost was double. My wife and I had just as nice of a vacation on the beach front places. Either way--enjoy.

oh--if you can, bring your own mask and snorkel. The equipment that the resorts have--is very sub par.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 3:48 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigBopper
Which property are you talking about? You mentioned the name of an Island not a hotel.

If you actually mean the island of Tahiti, there are two properties. A Sheraton and a Le Meridien. I'd vote for option three....get off the island of Tahiti!!!!!

If you mean French Polynesia, there are 6 properties....2 on Tahiti, 1 on Moorea and 3 on Bora Bora (or it's surronding Motu). Having been to 3 of them in the last year, the answer to your question is no. The over water bungalos are FAR superior.
Sorry, didn't make that clear at all.

I'm talking French Polynesia.

Will be on Bora Bora for 5 nights and on Moorea for 10 nights. All on points. On BB will probably stay at Nui at a beach front room with hopes of an upgrade but not holding my breath on that one. If it's really really worth it might pay for the upgrade. By the way any idea what the upgrades prices are?
On Moorea can choose between beach front or OW. Can't figure out if the additional points are worth the OW. I'm thinking an upgrade on Moorea will be more likely to happen.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 6:22 pm

IMHO I would go with the OW hands down.

I used points at Moorea and had to pay a $150/night surcharge to upgrade to the OW Bungalow.

At the bora bora nui the service was really great, had 1 night paid in a OW bungalow and then used points for the remaining nights. They said there was no problem in us staying in the OW bungalow the entire time even though the points nights were in the lagoon room.

I don't know what order you are doing it in but for what its worth I was really glad I did moorea first and then went to Bora Bora. I felt like Moorea was beautiful but Bora Bora was even nicer. Also, the Bora Bora Nui was an amazing hotel, staff was really friendly, and service was really good (this was before the St. Regis opened so at the time I felt it was the nicest hotel on the island).
Old Jun 11, 2008, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
I used points and got the upgrade for free on Moorea so I guess it's a crap shoot and your luck may vary.

If I recall correctly, there are 3 beach front bungalows at the Sheraton in Moorea. The beach at that part isn't so great and the view is over an overwater bungalow at a 90 degree angle to you. Not very private IMHO. Also, they have a deck that IS over the water so you don't even get the benfit of the sand.

There are also some bungalows there (between the overwater and the pool) that are on the sand near the beach. I'm not certain what the hotel considers these. I would STRONGLY advise against them as there is a path between them and the beach. My wife commented a few times on how bad she felt walking 3 feet away from people trying to have a drink or read on their deck.

Finally, Moorea has a pretty bad bug problem. Many people find roaches in their rooms. There are also poisonous centipedes. The only thing that combats these things are ferrel chickens and roosters. Lots of cockadoodle dooing. You almost never have these problems in the overwater bungalows.

Finally, Polynesia is a special trip. It's one of the few times I'd suggest splurging.

As for Bora Bora, we stayed at the Le Meridien. Not quiet as fancy as some of the others but it was by far the best service I've ever had in a hotel. Food was excellent. They also have a swimming only lagoon in the center of the property. It's one of the few places in the world you can swim green sea turtles.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 10:08 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great advise, especially Bigbopper. Very very helpful. It's those details that make all the difference. I think I will go with the OW in Moorea with points for sure and maybe pay the extra for BB. Yes, it's a once in a lifetime trip and it's a bunch of points so I'm going to do it right. Thanks again, that's exactly the info I was looking for.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 10:28 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Starwood Gold
Well heres another opinion. I stayed at both the Nui and Sheraton Moorea. First I would say the OWB is 100% worth the splurge at the Nui. Diving off of your deck into 15-20 feet deep of crystal clear water is well, nothing short of amazing. We never wanted to leave our room. Being able to snorkel right off youre own "home" is awesome. Plus the island itself to me is no where near as beautiful as Moorea so by not leaving you aren't missing much.

At The Sheraton Moorea the OWB is probably slightly better, simply for the OWB experience. The OWB's imo at the Sheraton aren't the same feeling one gets at the NUI. At the NUI there is more of a sense of being there alone snorkeling in your own ocean! The Moorea (esp during the day) the way things are set up...snorkelers, and people can be around and near all day long. And.....the beach bungalows are really great. The grounds the way they are landscaped at the Sheraton make it a great setting.

If money or points arent a big deal go for both....However I wouldn't flinch one bit by not getting the OWB in Moorea.

Personally when I go again....I would spend as many points or dollars as it took for the OWB at the NUI. However I would go the cheaper route in Moorea. Snorkeling off the beach in Moorea is way cool so the OWB isn't necessary....and being "out....exploring the island" is the way I want to spend most of my time.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 10:50 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Oh, no confusion!

Bran 28 - what are your thoughts about the layout of the beach front on Moorea that BigBopper spoke of. I'm concerned about the layout and although we will be exploring Moorea we do like to lay on the sand, beach every other day or more and since we'll be there for 10 night I don't want to be in middle of everyone.

"There are also some bungalows there (between the overwater and the pool) that are on the sand near the beach. I'm not certain what the hotel considers these. I would STRONGLY advise against them as there is a path between them and the beach. My wife commented a few times on how bad she felt walking 3 feet away from people trying to have a drink or read on their deck.

Finally, Moorea has a pretty bad bug problem. Many people find roaches in their rooms. There are also poisonous centipedes. The only thing that combats these things are ferrel chickens and roosters. Lots of cockadoodle dooing. You almost never have these problems in the overwater bungalows."
Old Jun 11, 2008, 11:14 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

By the way, does anyone know what the 3rd person policy is at either location. Are there sleeper sofas?
Old Jun 12, 2008, 7:23 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
As I recall, at the Sheraton Moorea, we had a no-charge rollaway (us and two kids).

Ten days is too long of a stay to expect an upgrade to an OWB, but we (at the time Plats) told the front desk that we would be happy to move to an OWB when there was an opportunity, even if only a day or two. While my wife was skeptical, it was totally worth it. Had it been available, I would have used points and/or money to upgrade for the entire stay, but, although I tried, it just wasn’t an option at the time we checked in. In Bora Bora I believe that you can use points to make an OWB reservation and that is something that I would absolutely do.

It's wonderful to have breakfast on the OWB deck, and rather than spending about $50, if not $60, per person in the cafe for the buffet, I'd suggest walking out of the Sheraton, and turning right for maybe half to 3/4 mile till you come to a small local market. We bought baked goods every day. You will want to save your money to spend on dinners in some of the really fine French eateries.

Have fun...and watch out for the jellyfishes.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 8:59 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Starwood Gold
Birdyy...There is a path between the bungalows...and IMO none of them have a great "beach presence". I can understand Bopper's thoughts. However imo I enjoyed walking through the awesome grounds, going to the pool, beach or workout facilities...so again just a matter of opinion. Once again the OWB's are probably better for most people. However the way the snorkling is set up at the Sheraton and with me using the pool and beach while I was there, the bungalows on land were the way to go for me.

All this being said imo there is no comparision in the water the OWB's "sit in" at the Sheraton when you compare it to the NUI. When I stayed at the Sheraton it was 48,000 for 5 nights and if they have the 5th night free when I go back I will book the "land bungalow" and if I get upgrade fine, if not no big deal....I know this makes it hard for you....but hey ya got 10 nights. Heres what I would do if I were in your shoes...(as long as money IS an object)...If I stayed at the NUI 1st I would get a "land bungalow" at the Sheraton.....If you are going to Moorea first how about going 5 and 5?...Reasoning to me is that once you experience the Nui's owb the extra dollars/points (IF IT MATTERS) might not be worth it.....

Originally Posted by birdyy
Oh, no confusion!

Bran 28 - what are your thoughts about the layout of the beach front on Moorea that BigBopper spoke of. I'm concerned about the layout and although we will be exploring Moorea we do like to lay on the sand, beach every other day or more and since we'll be there for 10 night I don't want to be in middle of everyone.

"There are also some bungalows there (between the overwater and the pool) that are on the sand near the beach. I'm not certain what the hotel considers these. I would STRONGLY advise against them as there is a path between them and the beach. My wife commented a few times on how bad she felt walking 3 feet away from people trying to have a drink or read on their deck.

Finally, Moorea has a pretty bad bug problem. Many people find roaches in their rooms. There are also poisonous centipedes. The only thing that combats these things are ferrel chickens and roosters. Lots of cockadoodle dooing. You almost never have these problems in the overwater bungalows."
Old Jun 12, 2008, 1:00 pm

I'm curious about the bug problem in Moorea, have any of the rest of you experienced it? Is it a seasonal thing or is it year-round? I'm planning a honeymoon there and might head elsewhere if the bug problem is really awful.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 1:07 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jailer
As I recall, at the Sheraton Moorea, we had a no-charge rollaway (us and two kids).
I just called preferred guest and they say an extra adult is 10,000 franc ($130) a night. Does that seem right? They'll let 2 kids stay for free but charge $130 for an adult. That seems outrageous. Once again, childless people get the short end of the stick. What are they charging for? $130 for extra towels? Good grief.

Would anyone suggest not mentioning the extra person in the reservation and hope they won't charge or is that a bad financial idea.

Also, when paying for an upgrade does it matter if wait until you get there to decide? Again, will that cost more in the long run?
Old Jun 12, 2008, 8:26 pm

Programs: HH Silver(!), SPG Gold, United Silver
Just got back from Moorea

Hi all, just got back from my honeymoon in Moorea. Here's what we encountered at the Sheraton.

We used points to book 5th night free award and upgrade to the Beachfront bungalow. You cannot use points to upgrade to the OWB. The beachfront room was actually just off the beach, across a path. We really were not bothered by the people walking by for the most part (and we got first pick of the beach chairs in the morning!).

We upgraded to an OWB for the last two nights, for about $200/nt (I think it was XPF 15,000/nt). As an SPG Gold, I was hoping for a free upgrade, but I don't think this property upgrades anyone to OWB for free (I had read this on the Tahiti forums at www.tahiti-explorer.com). If you want to guarantee an upgrade, I'd write/call the hotel beforehand, and it can be arranged--this is particularly helpful during high season. We didn't do it beforehand because it was low season, and I was hoping beyond hope for a freebie!

We enjoyed the OWB--a great experience!--but 2 nights was definitely enough to get the gist.

BTW--there are 3 "partial OWB", which sit on the beach to the east of the pier going out to the main OWB. My guess is that these have great snorkeling, too, but don't have the "prestige" of the ones on the pier.

As for the bugs....
Originally Posted by doog
I'm curious about the bug problem in Moorea, have any of the rest of you experienced it? Is it a seasonal thing or is it year-round? I'm planning a honeymoon there and might head elsewhere if the bug problem is really awful.
We didn't have any problems with bugs at the resort or off, while on Moorea. We brought bugspray but didn't use it once during the trip, and had no major bites.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.