Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Will CO Copy US Airways and Charge for Soft Drinks, Eliminate Elite Mileage Bonuses?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will CO Copy US Airways and Charge for Soft Drinks, Eliminate Elite Mileage Bonuses?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2008, 2:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
Exclamation Will CO Copy US Airways and Charge for Soft Drinks, Eliminate Elite Mileage Bonuses?

As continued evidence of its post-merger implosion, US Airways today announced a set of VERY draconian new "initiatives" as it continues to "transform" its business. Among the highlights:

-In-Flight Beverage Purchase Program: In addition to current sales of alcoholic beverages on all domestic flights, US Airways will begin selling all non-alcoholic beverages (including sodas, juices, bottled water and coffee) in its domestic coach cabins for $2 effective Aug. 1, 2008. Alcoholic beverages will be available for $7 (currently $5). More details will be forthcoming and will include new premium beverage and hearty snack choices.

Complimentary beverages will continue to be served in domestic First Class, US Airways Shuttle flights, trans-Atlantic Envoy and trans-Atlantic economy class. Unaccompanied minors will also receive complimentary non-alcoholic beverages.

--Dividend Miles Changes: A new award redemption processing fee will be assessed to all Dividend Miles award tickets issued on/after Aug. 6, 2008. The fee will be based on destination ($25 for domestic/Canada tickets, $35 for tickets to Mexico / Caribbean, and $50 for Hawaii / international). US Airways is also eliminating its bonus miles program for Preferred status Dividend Miles members. Preferred members currently receive mileage bonuses based on their status level. The Preferred bonus program will be discontinued for tickets purchased on/after Aug. 6, 2008.

The airline's frequent flyer program continues to be one of the best programs in the industry and presents the most generous upgrade opportunities. Dividend Miles Preferred members are eligible for unlimited complimentary upgrades up to seven days prior to departure versus five days, often accompanied by a fee, in other airlines' frequent flyer programs.

----

Pray that no such things EVER come to pass at our Continental Airlines...
Old Jun 12, 2008, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
LOL. US must be getting really desperate - I think they it will be the one to go Chapter 7, while UA will survive.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, I must admit that this is extremely amusing to watch.

They take away bonus miles for elites and then claim they have one of the best programs in the industry. Hysterical!
Old Jun 12, 2008, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
If it wasn't so sad it would be funny.

Are they hoping to make money from the selling of beverages? They still have to stock the stuff.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CO 1E
US must be getting really desperate
and this forum must be getting desperate for new topics.

if US jumped off a bridge, would CO follow?

back to pudding...
Old Jun 12, 2008, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Can I claim I am 17 and get free drinks?
Old Jun 12, 2008, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
Why not charge for them? We've all seen the price rape the airports did to fliers, 2 seconds after they got the TSA to prohibit liquids in carryons. So why shouldn't the carriers hone in on the action?
Old Jun 12, 2008, 3:54 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by Steph3n
Can I claim I am 17 and get free drinks?
No, since you have not paid the fee (btw, is that increased as well?) to be recognized as UM
Old Jun 12, 2008, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
The airline's frequent flyer program continues to be one of the best programs in the industry
Did I miss the part of the press release where US announced they are renaming their in-flight magazine "Pravda"?
Old Jun 12, 2008, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kommissar Giga-Posting Direktor, PWP; Fasano Nouveau Aristocrat; CO Platinum; BD Gold; MR Gold
Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
Did I miss the part of the press release where US announced they are renaming their in-flight magazine "Pravda"?
US is offering The Washington Post as its inflight magazine? (Sorry - had to sneak that one in again.)
Old Jun 12, 2008, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
US Airways is also eliminating its bonus miles program for Preferred status Dividend Miles members. Preferred members currently receive mileage bonuses based on their status level. The Preferred bonus program will be discontinued for tickets purchased on/after Aug. 6, 2008.
This is the most major change. Eliminating the Elite bonus in my view will kill loyalty. The basic rationale for the Elite bonus is that an Elite will more likely want to redeem FC rewards. Hence by giving a 100% bonus, and charging double for the reward, the airline is giving their high level Elite member a FC reward for the same amount of flying that a non-Elite needs to do for a coach ticket.

If revenue management is giving out reward seats for seats that likely would be unsold then you are not saving anything by taking away Elite bonus.

Bad move on US part. I do not see CO going that route. Maybe the $15 bag fee, but that is it.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, AA, B6, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG, SPG
I noticed WN has their ads out about all of the extra fees being charged by the legacy carriers.
"Fees Don't Fly With Us."
Old Jun 12, 2008, 4:59 pm

Programs: Too much flying; Lots of hotels
US seems to be going out of their way to prevent UA from being recognized as the single most incompetent airline in aviation history.

I'd be shocked if CO took the lead of such an illustrious organization.

Did I really vote for the *A?
Old Jun 12, 2008, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by Olton Hall
I noticed WN has their ads out about all of the extra fees being charged by the legacy carriers.
"Fees Don't Fly With Us."
even a special section on the site:
http://southwest.com/nofees/
Old Jun 12, 2008, 5:17 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
It is only a matter of time before we loose a major airline, or two. My first vote off the island would be US Air followed by an AA Ch 11. Am I the only person who noticed Chase just gave CO more money ($413m) for future FFP purchases than the US Air market cap($247m)? Note to Larry and Jeff: do not trade kitty for desert hubs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.