Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New "Choice Seats" $$ Program Coming to DL

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2008, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
New "Choice Seats" $$ Program Coming to DL

According to an anonymous DL friend of mine, starting Aug. 1st Delta will be charging for "choice" seats. There will be a few rows that are blocked until it's within 24 hours of flight time. Then you can go online and pick a "choice seat" (aisle, windows and exits) that can purchased for $15.

The charge will not go through until the flight is completed in case of equipment changes or irops. Elite members are exempt from this charge. Gate agents will have control over all seats and if seats are unsold will go to anyone that needs seats.

Sounds like a good idea to boost revenue without irritating too many pax. And of course, DL takes care of its loyal fliers by waiving the fees for them. Im not certain if this applies to ST Elites too, but my guess is that it will.

Still waiting for the official announcement, but in the spirit of FT, it's always good to be in the know!

Old Jun 14, 2008, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Sounds exactly like NW's CoachChoice/ExitChoice. I'm actually a fan of this change - makes the elite section of the plane less likely to fill up (unless the plane is completely sold out or someone buys the seat) since they can't just grab some of these choice seats at check-in now. No fees for elites is of the utmost importance of course.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 1:38 pm

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
sounds good to me. ^
Old Jun 14, 2008, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
According to an anonymous DL friend of mine, starting Aug. 1st Delta will be charging for "choice" seats. There will be a few rows that are blocked until it's within 24 hours of flight time. Then you can go online and pick a "choice seat" (aisle, windows and exits) that can purchased for $15.

The charge will not go through until the flight is completed in case of equipment changes or irops. Elite members are exempt from this charge. Gate agents will have control over all seats and if seats are unsold will go to anyone that needs seats.

Sounds like a good idea to boost revenue without irritating too many pax. And of course, DL takes care of its loyal fliers by waiving the fees for them. Im not certain if this applies to ST Elites too, but my guess is that it will.

Still waiting for the official announcement, but in the spirit of FT, it's always good to be in the know!

So, this means, since the seats are blocked until 24 hours before the flights that even Elite members will have to sit at their computers to get one of these "special seats"-which I'm guessing would be exit rows, and windows and aisles for the first 10 or so rows of coach? Sounds a bit like trying to get an 'A' boarding pass on Southwest .
Old Jun 14, 2008, 1:40 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Now if they can only open up a couple of the bulkhead seats for elites/"Choice Seat" program.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BamaGirl
So, this means, since the seats are blocked until 24 hours before the flights that even Elite members will have to sit at their computers to get one of these "special seats"-which I'm guessing would be exit rows, and windows and aisles for the first 10 or so rows of coach? Sounds a bit like trying to get an 'A' boarding pass on Southwest .
It doesn't necessarily mean that and we should withhold comment until the official announcement comes from DL. Hopefully Medallions would still be allowed to select seats at the time of booking. DL would have a revolt on their hands if they imposed a stupid 24 hour type of rule for elites on those seats.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 2:41 pm

Programs: VX elevate ,CO Gold,DL GM
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
It doesn't necessarily mean that and we should withhold comment until the official announcement comes from DL. Hopefully Medallions would still be allowed to select seats at the time of booking. DL would have a revolt on their hands if they imposed a stupid 24 hour type of rule for elites on those seats.
i would agree
Old Jun 14, 2008, 6:33 pm

Programs: SPG LT Gold, DL PM 1MM
I suppose the "special seats" are available for free from 24hrs before the flight, and will be charged if you want to request these before... with medallions having the option to reserve it before without paying...

sounds like a good idea for me, as long as i'm elite
Old Jun 14, 2008, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by mayhem
I suppose the "special seats" are available for free from 24hrs before the flight, and will be charged if you want to request these before... with medallions having the option to reserve it before without paying...

sounds like a good idea for me, as long as i'm elite
I just flew on AirTran (breaking the DL addiction). They charge for ANY seat selection more than 24 hours in advance. $6 for normal seats, $20 for choice seats. Once you reach the 24 hour time frame, anyone can claim the normal seats. I think that there still was a charge for the choice seats.
Having no status on AirTran, I have no idea what they offer their elites.

If the above described scenario in the previous post was the one implemented, I would be all for it.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
If it is similar to the NW program, an elite flyer will not be able to get one of those seats at time of booking. They will have to wait until 24 hours before departure.

And if it works like so many of the other Delta programs work for NW elite flyers(wifi access in the club, free standby, etc), including NW PE, only Delta elites will be able to access the Choice seats and not other Skyteam elites.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cmh flyer
If it is similar to the NW program, an elite flyer will not be able to get one of those seats at time of booking. They will have to wait until 24 hours before departure.
OK... I have taken 5-6 RTs on NW as a Delta Plat and everytime I've been able to select "choice" seats (I presume exit rows are choice seats) prior to 24 hours. Everytime.

As long as the experience with DL is the same, this is a welcome change in my book...
Old Jun 14, 2008, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL FC, NW
Seems like a fair thing to do. If you have a cheap seat, $20 is not much to pay for that aisle or window seat you really want.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by jjglaze77
OK... I have taken 5-6 RTs on NW as a Delta Plat and everytime I've been able to select "choice" seats (I presume exit rows are choice seats) prior to 24 hours. Everytime.

As long as the experience with DL is the same, this is a welcome change in my book...
I am Delta PM and I will be traveling in a week on Northwest. I am looking at the seat map for one of my legs and I can tell you EXACTLY what my options are and what I can and CAN NOT select:

The first four seat catagories on the seat map are pretty standard:

-Currently selected passenger
-Travel companion seat
-Occupied seat
-Available seat

The NEXT two are what I think the OP says Delta will be implementing:
-"Coach Choice Exit Seat available for purchase within 24 hours of departure.
(WorldPerks Elite and SkyTeam Elite members may select these seats at no charge)"

These are colored green and correspond to the exit row. I can NOT select them.

The other special seat is:
-"Coach Choice Seat available for purchase within 24 hours of departure.
(WorldPerks Elite and SkyTeam Elite members may select these seats at no charge)"

These are light/sky blue color and I can NOT select them

After these are:
-"Available premium seat
(Available to customers with WorldPerks Elite and Partner Elite status, business fare purchases and customers with disabilities or specific needs)"

There are MANY of these seats and they all at the front of the cabin. I CAN select these seats. They are denoted on the seat chart with a "P"

The next catagory is:

-"Disability Seating Accommodations
(Click here for additional details)"

These have the wheelchair/handicapped symbol on them and I can not select these.

FINALLY there are:
-"Exit row seat
(Available to qualified customers with WorldPerks Elite and Partner Elite status and business fare purchases)
Federal Aviation regulations prohibit customers traveling with a child in a car seat from sitting in the row directly in front of or behind an exit row."

And I AM able to select these...

If Delta implements a similar system I'd be o.k. with that because there are SO many "P" seats that I would select those well ahead of time anyways instead of trying to snag a special $15 seat for free as an elite at the 24 hour mark...and those "P" seats are better than the $15 seats anyways.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 9:54 pm

Programs: Delta GM, US Silver, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jjglaze77

NW has two sets of "choice seats". The ones reserved for elites and the others for paying customers. You can see the difference when you select your seat at NWA.com. The elite seats are marked with C and the paying ones are marked with $. Typically on a A320 the two exit rows are split. Half C and half $. The bulkheads are also usually C along with the first few rows of coach. Then some $ ones.
Old Jun 14, 2008, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL FO/1MM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National Exec Elite
Well, all I know is, everytime I am on a NWA flight, I have been able to select my preferred exit row seat at time of booking. Period. I don't know much about the choice program, all I know is I get the best seat in coach. Whether or not it's "green" I have no idea. All I am saying is that as long as this still continues to be the case on Delta, then I see nothing wrong with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.