Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

CO to join Star Alliance: AC impacts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080619/aqth523.html?.v=13
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:11 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Emerald Exec, HHG
AS a guy that frequents flights out of BUF, that's fantastic news!
Bye, Bye US Air!
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:17 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
woot! that's great news... I've always thought CO had great service/planes and pretty decent J/F fares.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

There will be numerous benefits. Right now, CO in Star would create the cheapest, fastest all-Star alliance connecting service between Toronto and Delhi. And AC would be able to codeshare that.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:29 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
What does NW, KL, AF, and the rest of SkyTeam think?
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, AVIS Preferred, Hilton Diamond
This is great news! It will open up some more oprtions to Europe and Asia. Even though *A has it pretty well covered, the additiona of another quality carrier is always nice. ^
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MCI777
This is great news! It will open up some more oprtions to Europe and Asia. Even though *A has it pretty well covered, the additiona of another quality carrier is always nice. ^
And in a market like Kansas City, it will give you some very interesting new Star routings, via a US gateway but also YYZ.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Former E
Originally Posted by YYCOllie
What does NW, KL, AF, and the rest of SkyTeam think?
Probably were expecting it given CO would be the fifth wheel of the eventual AF-KL-DL-NW group.

CO will provide some more options to Central and South America, where *A is decidely weak. If the COPA linkage stays intact , then it might be CO and COPA to cover off the Central/South America coverage hole.

Also provides some better coverage of some parts of the united states as well plus some interesting Asian routes. It also finally gives a NYC-LON *A routing.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Amazing! YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, I love STAR!
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:43 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
My prediction is the day after CO joins *A, AC will cut YYC-IAH anmd YYZ=IAH and codeshare on CO.

EWR will be common to both airlines, but will AC retain YYC-EWR or hand the route over to CO? Also will CO remove the 4 hour EWR minimum connection window for common AC-CO tickets?
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold - Hyatt Plat - Nexus
I have a bunch of Onepass miles at CO, what will happen to those? Can I use them with AC and vice versa now?
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:51 pm

I wouldn't hold my breath on it though - and if it does go through it will be a very looooong wait.
There's a contractual restriction on CO that won't expire until 9 months after the closing of the proposed DL/NW merger (and how far away is that?!?) for starters.
Then there is the small matter of getting anti-trust approval from the U.S., which is by no means a fait accompli given the combined strength of UA/US/AC in North America plus these 3 and all the Star Euro carriers on Trans-At.

Don't get me wrong - a very good addition to the alliance indeed (probably the best of the U.S. legacies at the moment) and a more than handy back-up to step in should UA/US or both vanish. They will bring more of the Pacific (via Air Mike) and Atlantic plus Central and South America into play. If they do manage to get in, then hopefully COPA will follow on their coat-tails filling in another gap in the :-: network.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 1:53 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by Machdiamond
I have a bunch of Onepass miles at CO, what will happen to those? Can I use them with AC and vice versa now?
Not quite yet...but once they do join Star, you can redeem your Onepass for a *A award.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:06 pm
B1

Deja vu - remember when AC was a major holder of CO stock and Houston was a hub and there were codeshares? More recetly, it was nice to see a remnant of this in Manchester NH where CO handles AC (Air Georgian) flights. Rip Van Winkle will wake up and not know he's been away. Next thing you know, TWA will reappear and will buiild a terminal shaped like a wing.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YEG Guy
My prediction is the day after CO joins *A, AC will cut YYC-IAH anmd YYZ=IAH and codeshare on CO.

EWR will be common to both airlines, but will AC retain YYC-EWR or hand the route over to CO? Also will CO remove the 4 hour EWR minimum connection window for common AC-CO tickets?
You might be right on Calgary, but YYZ-IAH is doing well for AC because of the CRJ-705. CO has only one flight a day each way on a 737. Everything else is on 50-seaters. And the 737-500 used on the route is one of the aircraft types destined to disappear over the winter as CO downsizes. So who knows if they will have anything decent on the route a year from now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.