Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Flyertalk Cares
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalkCares - our members' efforts

Old Jun 23, 2008, 3:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?

This thread is the master thread for charities approved by TB on behalf of members as suitable for posting FT. The process for getting such charities approved is detailed in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=816406

If you have had a charity approved, then please post to this thread, giving details of the charity, where (if anywhere) the thread resides and a brief summary of what the charity is about.

Thanks for your help

Communitybuzz! Moderators
Old Jun 23, 2008, 6:05 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
My approved charity event is the NPT Breast Cancer 3-Day Benefitting Susan G. Komen For The Cure

Owlchick, lalala, and I are walking in the Seattle 3-Day, and invite you to contribute and/or join us at a post event dinner in this thread.

Eighty-five percent of the net proceeds of this event go to Susan G. Komen for the Cure. Every advancement in breast cancer research, treatment, education and prevention in the last 25 years has been touched by a Komen for the Cure grant.

The remaining fifteen percent of net funds goes to the National Philanthropic Trust Breast Cancer Fund, which provides ongoing support to breast cancer initiatives, so that strides made today can continue to propel us toward our goal.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 11:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
My FT-approved charity is Kiva

My approved Charity (thanks, TalkBoard!) is Kiva, which links people who want to assist others with low income entrepreneurs in developing nations (and their non-profit partners) to take out microloans to help themselves and their families.

Imagine an Internet-based Grameen Bank with a global reach, linking people all over the world. Kiva and its local partners vet the prospective borrowers and make sure the money gets back.

Lenders make no interest, but can withdraw their money as the loan is repaid - personally, I choose to relend it. No interest accrues to lenders, and we are asked to support the loan "bank" or "infrastructure," which in this case is Kiva (Internal Revenue Service 501 (c) (3) not-for profit organization to which donations are tax deductible in the USA.) You can read exactly how and why they do it here.

"We Let You Loan to the Working Poor

Kiva's mission is to connect people through lending for the sake of alleviating poverty.

Kiva is the world's first person-to-person micro-lending website, empowering individuals to lend directly to unique entrepreneurs in the developing world."

We have a thread with posts by some of the FlyerTalkers Lending Team right here.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 17, 2010 at 11:49 am Reason: add URLs
Old Mar 8, 2011, 8:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
My approved charitable cause is called the "Underwear Affair" and is an annual event held by the Alberta Cancer Foundation to raise funds and awareness about underfunded below-the-waist cancers like prostate, ovarian, and colorectal. The 18th June 2011 event is being held in Edmonton, though others similiar events are also going in Calgary, Ottawa and Vancouver. Last year 1400+ participants in Edmonton raised $850,000 and we hope to top that this year.

The main thread I started in the AC Forum and that thread is here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...ar-affair.html

Thanks to FT for allowing my this time and space for this fundraising effort.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: Club interjet; Airbnb
The Ponheary Ly Foundation

The Ponheary Ly Foundation Flyertalk Cares! thread.

The Ponheary Ly Foundation is a registered 501(c)3 in the US. It was founded in 2006 by Lori Carlson, an American traveler to Cambodia, who met Ponheary Ly and became inspired by her dedication to helping to rebuild her country by sending poor, rural children to primary school. The PLF was approved as a Flyertalk Cares! cause in February 2009.

You can read more about Ponheary and the history of the Foundation by clicking here . Ponheary is a "CNN Hero" for 2011.

Ponheary’s strategy is a simple and effective one. Government schools are in place in the rural communities, but they are not well attended, because children’s families, who live on about a dollar a day, cannot afford the necessary supplies and uniforms to enroll their children. It costs approximately $25 per year to equip each child for school. Ponheary visits these villages, makes rosters of all the children not attending school and sponsors them. There are currently about 2,500 children in 5 schools sponsored in this way.

The Foundation also supports the schools with Breakfast Programs, Teacher Subsidies, Bike to School Program and Wellness Programs to make the educational experience more beneficial to the children, knowing that the majority of these children will find it impossible to continue on past primary school.

I encourage you to explore the links provided in this post and give consideration to donating to the Ponheary Ly Foundation. It would be hard to find another cause where your contributions would have more effect, more bang for the buck. There are no administrative costs, all work is volunteer, there is no paid staff in keeping with the PLFs promise that 100% of donations go to the children.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.