Wiki Posts
Search

$76 minibar charge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2008, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
$76 minibar charge

Just opened up an efolio and saw a $76.80 charge for a minibar I never even had a key for.

What do you do about that?
Old Jun 23, 2008, 5:34 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Mail back the bottle you had in your 70 pound suitcase....

You did not see this before leaving? Or was it added after you left?

Seriously, call the hotel and tell them you did not even have a key... if that does not get a reversal.... then dispute with the credit card company.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wharvey
Mail back the bottle you had in your 70 pound suitcase....

seriously, after I left.

And the suitcase was 86 pounds

You did not see this before leaving? Or was it added after you left?

Seriously, call the hotel and tell them you did not even have a key... if that does not get a reversal.... then dispute with the credit card company.
seriously, after I left.

Old Jun 23, 2008, 5:45 pm

Programs: hhonors
$76 in a hotel minibar would not be 86 pounds... I'm thinking a bottle of water and a bag of chips would get you to $76
Old Jun 23, 2008, 7:27 pm

You should have left the maid a tip and she could have bought the employee meal instead of eating from your minibar.

Call the hotel accounting dept and see if they will remove the charge. This happens all the time but usually not to the tune of $76.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 8:45 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Call the hotel ASAP!

I have had this happen countless times, which is why I always refuse the minibar key. But not after I left - that's a new one.

Call the hotel during the day and speak w/ the GM.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 4:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Gold HH, JAL, LAN
I had a $96 bill voided because 2 of the Gin bottles were refilled with water. There was 2 of us

Just left a note with bottles and room care took care of it.

If you didn't take the key, it should be refunded by calling the GM.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 5:09 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Wow...that's some expensive booze.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 5:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Wirelessly posted (My IV to the Net: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

My biggest mini-bar false charge, was $13. I think it was for one chocolate dinner mint. I called up and spoke with the GM and it was taken care of.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 6:08 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Do hotels often add charges after you've checked out and not notify you? I never look for that on my CC bill .... I'm not paranoid, but should I be checking my CC website a few days after checking out?
Old Jun 24, 2008, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Originally Posted by lili
Do hotels often add charges after you've checked out and not notify you? I never look for that on my CC bill .... I'm not paranoid, but should I be checking my CC website a few days after checking out?
Yes, I have had that happen -- $2.00 plus tax, $3.00 plus tax for this or that -- always a mistake, and I have never had any trouble getting charges removed, especially (I suspect) because 1) I stay at chains where I have status, 2) these are usually the ONLY minibar charges on the bill so, at least for a multi-day stay, they can tell I am not inclined to consume their chips or booze, and 3) I do check my CC accounts on-line within a couple days after a trip, so the charges are still fresh when I call.

I sometimes have trouble because I rearrange bottles to stuff in a doggie bag from restaurant, so I raise that on my way out, and that also seems to keep spurious charges down. And in the rare instance when I have taken something, if the charge doesn't show up when I check out, I point it out and get it added (rather than hoping they never notice), just in case I have to contest an erroneous charge later.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Just a note that a call to the GM's admin resulted in a credit to my credit card
Old Jul 1, 2008, 1:12 pm

A complementary bottle of wine was waiting for me in my suite in Buenos Aires. I double-checked with reception to make sure it was free before I opened it.

A month later I got an AMEX charge for $78 - separate from my checkout bill.

Didn't even bother contacting the hotel and just disputed with AMEX. They permanently removed the charge while I was still on the phone with them.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by lili
Yes you should. I've been charged for bathrobes, water, and who knows what else I didn't consume nor take.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by jan_az
seriously, after I left.

The last time I carried one of Jan's suitcases it was filled with soap and shampoo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.