Wiki Posts
Search

A380 FAQ from Qantas

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2008, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
A380 FAQ from Qantas

Some A380 FAQs have come my way (via state government travel booking sources). I thought a few snippets would be of interest, since they answer some questions raised here.

Originally Posted by QANTAS A380 FAQ

What business facilities are available on the A380?
The Qantas A380 has been designed with the business traveller in mind. Customers have access to PC power in all cabins (shared between two seats in Premium Economy and Economy). Every seat also has a USB port that can be used for charging USB devices, such as MP3 players, and an internet port (Ethernet RJ45) for laptop connection.

What fare class will A380 cabins be sold as?
The A380 aircraft will have the same fare structure and classes as the rest of the Qantas international fleet. The First cabin for the A380 will have an additional class, R Class, together with F, A and P.

What internet services will be available on the A380?
Qantas has selected OnAir to provide our customers with a range of connectivity services so they can keep in touch with friends and colleagues on the ground during flight. This includes accessing the internet, checking email and logging in to Instant Messaging services. Initially customers will be able to access Webmail and Webchat services for a fee, along with selected cached internet content including qantas.com. Full internet access will be available at a later date in 2009.

How much does it cost to access these services?
Pricing details will be available onboard the aircraft. Webmail offers a special free preview so customers can review the contents of their email Inbox (sender, subject, size and date of the top 20 emails) at no charge before purchase.

Introduction of R inventory class into the A380 First Suite
What classes will be available for the First Suite on the A380?

The A380 will see the introduction of R class into the inventory for the First Suite. Together with new R class inventory, current F and A classes will also be available for sale for the First Suite on the A380.

How will the R class inventory be introduced into the A380 First Suite?The A380 will see the introduction of R class as the last seat available inventory class. F and A class will also be available for sale on the A380 but will be subject to inventory access controls.

Will members earn more points for booking a First Suite on the A380 over First on a 747-400?
No. Members will earn the same points as traveling in First on other aircraft on the same route.

Can members use points to upgrade from the 747-400 First to the A380 First Suite?
No. However if a member has purchased a Business fare for travel on the A380, they can register for an upgrade to the First Suite. Alternatively, Members can redeem their points for an available Award flight in the A380 First Suite.
Audrey
Old Jun 25, 2008, 9:34 pm

Programs: QF SQ VS
Originally Posted by falconea
Can members use points to upgrade from the 747-400 First to the A380 First Suite?
No. However if a member has purchased a Business fare for travel on the A380, they can register for an upgrade to the First Suite. Alternatively, Members can redeem their points for an available Award flight in the A380 First Suite.

Audrey
Yeah right, and I can easily pick the six winning numbers on Saturday night.

hvb
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:21 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Interesting. This indicates we will be able to get award seats in First Class on the big bird.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:53 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Interesting. This indicates we will be able to get award seats in First Class on the big bird.
No it doesn't. You can redeem points for an available award. No awards are available.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 12:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
No it doesn't. You can redeem points for an available award. No awards are available.
The information reads that awards and upgrades on the 380 are the same as for any other service and that R is an additional inventory to go with F and A which already do exist.

Dave
Old Jun 26, 2008, 1:36 am

There is a FAQ missing:

Will there be specials available when the A380 flights are launched?
Qantas feels that Australians are our best customers, and are those who are willing to pay top dollar. Hence we will be offering special deals ex Los Angeles and ex Heathrow on the A380, but will let Australians pay 3-4 times as much as their counterparts overseas.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 1:37 am

Programs: QF Plat, BD*S, Hertz 5
The better news is that you can use the A380 on a AONE and that it is possible to request an upgrade on points from a DONE.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 4:35 am

Programs: QF SQ VS
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal
There is a FAQ missing:

Will there be specials available when the A380 flights are launched?
Qantas feels that Australians are our best customers, and are those who are willing to pay top dollar. Hence we will be offering special deals ex Los Angeles and ex Heathrow on the A380, but will let Australians pay 3-4 times as much as their counterparts overseas.
Aus_Mal

You must be my long lost twin brother...you took the words out of my mouth..

hvb
Old Jun 26, 2008, 6:36 am

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by HVB3172
Yeah right, and I can easily pick the six winning numbers on Saturday night.

hvb
Another one of those half-full glasses that have been getting about of late...
Old Jun 26, 2008, 6:46 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Shared plugs between Y seats and full internet connectivity not availible until 2009?

Disappointing....doesn't do me any good for my flight in November on the whalejet. Looks like I'll either have to bring a splitter or fight my seat mate for the AC plug too.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF WP, LTG, QP on hold
Hm, a couple of the more interesting points in there haven't been commented on by anyone.

No upgrade from F to R - strikes me that this is a significant devaluation of the F fare which is supposed to be fully flexible. Not very flexible on a route mostly served by A380s since there won't necessarily be a seat available!

And I thought the free preview of your email was an interesting feature that many here would like.

Audrey
Old Jun 26, 2008, 4:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No upgrade from F to R - strikes me that this is a significant devaluation of the F fare which is supposed to be fully flexible. Not very flexible on a route mostly served by A380s since there won't necessarily be a seat available!
All fares are subject to availability in the class , so nothing particularly new there imo. Even now, having a F ticket does not guarantee getting on a flight. If F is sold out, those that need/want to will pay for R just like now with other fare bases

Dave
Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:53 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
And I thought the free preview of your email was an interesting feature that many here would like.
I couldn't care less about a free preview of my email. Up until recently Qantas have said FULL on-board internet would be available.

I wondered how this would work as I don't' believe there is a current satellite for the Pacific with enough capacity to handle this.

Also not a fan of the "business lounge" where people can show presentations, it should just show the Air Show/Moving Map. I don't like the idea of someone using it for their own personal use.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 9:13 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by AndDee

Also not a fan of the "business lounge" where people can show presentations, it should just show the Air Show/Moving Map. I don't like the idea of someone using it for their own personal use.
I can't imagine anyone using the presentation screen often. If work colleagues want to review presentations, I think most will just look on their own laptops as they won't want to share the details with everyone else on the plane.

In reality, I wonder if the lounge will be used much at all. I bet the lounges disappear soon to be replaced with more seats...this is what happened on Etihad (or was it Qatar? anyway it was one of the middle east airlines).
Old Jun 26, 2008, 9:27 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Exactly I can't imagine a few people sitting around watching a presentation where everyone else can see it.

It's not really a meeting room as such looking at the images/artist impressions.

It's basically a TV near the drinks/bar/lounge/snack area with a few seats facing the TV.

The area will probably stay, but just be used to mingle/stretch during the flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.