Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Dallas (on North Olive Street) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Dallas (on North Olive Street) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2008, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Arrow Sheraton Dallas (on North Olive Street) [Master Thread]

Has anyone stayed here since it switched to a Sheraton? (I did a search of the SPG forum, but didn't find anything other than the announcement re: the brand change) I will be there for a week in June (client's choice) & am wondering what to expect. From the website, & reports on TripAdvisor.com, it seems like there is still a wide variation in rooms & especially bedding in use (I've become a bit of a hotel bed snob, so this is a priority for me). Low speed internet that I have to pay for doesn't excite me, either.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Sheraton Dallas, formerly Adams Mark-Long way to go

Just checked out this morning after 5 nights (client's preference). Having never stayed here before, I can't comment on any changes since the hotel became a Sheraton property. The fact that the water in one of the 3 flower vases on the registration desk was in desperate need of changing at check-in shouldn't depend on ownership, however.

During check-in, one staff person (thankfully not the one who was checking me in!) was both eating & talking w/her mouth full to another guest-ugh!

Rooms, at least on the 7th floor of the South Tower, are incredibly small as are the bathrooms. The room is so small the side table for the arm chair is actually behind the chair!! Thermostat for the room was on the wall behind that, which was even worse. No fitted bottom sheet on the bed, no pillow top mattress or even mattress pad, either. First room I was assigned had a malfunctioning A/C unit; hotel sent 3 staff to work on it &, after I requested it, changed to me another room as I didn't have time for them to tear the room apart for hours, though the effort was appreciated. 1 of the sliding doors to the closet of the new room was off the track & literally leaning against the wall (eventually that was, somewhat, rectified). No luggage stand-multiple requests for one, plus additional hangers, & foam pillows until nearly 4 hrs later. The single long blonde hair hanging off the shade of the desk lamp was a nice touch that was still there when I left nearly a week later.

Plumbing in the bathrooms is, in a word, loud! Watch out, too, if you are taking a shower when your neighbor flushes the toilet. As I said previously, the bathroom is very small &, I think, laid out very awkwardly. They clearly spent a small fortune on covering every surface in the room & bathroom w/granite, including bedside table, corner shelf for the tv (large flat panel) as well as the bathroom floor), but couldn't spare a few dollars for a curved shower curtain in the bathroom to give guests a tiny bit more elbow room. The 'don't steal me' hair dryer is actually behind the toilet which makes it difficult to use given the short cord on it. At least they refrained from 'don't' steal me hangers' in the closet. Carpet in the room is in desperate need of cleaning (even before my can of Pepsi exploded all over the closet door, walls, & ceiling). A red 'status' light behind the tv started blinking in both my room & my colleague's room next door Monday night & since the tv's sit on a shelf in the corner, we ended up w/a flashing red light clear up to the ceiling. By that point, we were both so fed up w/the hotel, we simply threw towels over the flashing light for the duration of our stay.

The public areas of the hotel are, overall, quite run down, dingy, & in desperate need of, if not a complete make-over, at least a deep & thorough cleaning. My traveling companions, who have (unfortunately for them!) stayed @ this hotel before, said the service in the Pearl Cafe has improved quite a bit since the change-over, however, the food itself hasn't. We only ate breakfast there, so I can't comment on the rest of their menu. The Westin City Center is connected to the Sheraton by a enclosed skywalk which has a number of food court style restaurants as well as the Westin's restaurant where we ate 3 nights (the crab encrusted tilapia is wonderful!).

All in all, this hotel has a long way to go to become a real Sheraton.

Last edited by txrus; Jun 27, 2008 at 1:50 pm
Old Aug 18, 2008, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Update-further renovations planned

Just found this in the review I had posted on TripAdvisor.com-looks like further renovations are planned for this property soon.

Management Response
WeBelongDallas, Executive Assistant to the General Manager
(Management representative)
Aug 7, 2008
We thank you for your feedback during your stay at the Sheraton Dallas.

Our hotel is striving to be the best hotel in Dallas, and yes you are correct, we do need a lot of things that need to be change,
Our renovation schedule is up in our renovation room and is scheduled to take affect as of September 2008 thru March 2009.

This will include the lobby, restaurant, sleeping rooms and the ballrooms as the last point to renovate.

Your comments are a great help to make us understand the customer's needs and also what needs to be done to make the guests feel more welcome and comforting to our hotel. In regards to the comment about the agents at the desk that were eating. it will be addressed to proper management to make sure that our agents are more professional in front of our guests.

Giving us feedback like this helps us be better and make our hotel be more Sheraton. It might take some time to adjust ourselves to the Sheraton brand, but we are trying our best to be an official Sheraton Hotel Convention Collection choice.

Regards,

Victor Aguilar
Executive Administrative Assistant
Old Nov 14, 2008, 3:41 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
This is my first post, but I've been reading/benefiting from others' trip reviews for awhile now, so I thought I'd contribute a little myself.

I just got back from a two separate stays at the Sheraton. Some parts good, others not so much. I thought the employees, especially at the front desk, were great. I had Platinum upgrades to Junior Suites for both stays. They had me pre-booked, with a Platinum key folder already set aside with my name on it both times. I was also given access to the Club Lounge, where they had breakfast (fruit, bagels, etc) and evening drinks (didn't make it for that). My Platinum amenities posted right away. The room was pretty good-flat screen TV, couch, nice bed. Don't get me wrong, it was no St Regis and could use a little updating, but for a Sheraton, especially for $125, it wasn't too bad.

On the other hand, the bathroom was beyond dated. It looked like the toilet and sink etc were older than I am. On the bright side, as of 11/13/08, they were starting a $91 mil renovation. I believe it is supposed to be completed by next March, according to one of the front desk agents.

Overall, right now, I'd say the Westin next door is a better place to stay, but after the renovation is done, I'm betting that the Sheraton will be a pretty good hotel.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 4:06 pm
Community Director Emerita

Welcome to FlyerTalk, berettajeff, and thanks for taking the plunge in the Starwood forum. We really appreciate the up to date information.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Sheraton Dallas hotel undergoing $90 million renovation

From the Dallas Morning News:

The 1,840-room property – the biggest hotel in town – is getting a $90 million makeover.

Every room will be redecorated, and the skyscraper hotel's public areas are getting major upgrades. The titanic job won't be finished until June.

"Right now, we have a little over 300 rooms in various stages of demolition and renovation," Mr. Hammer said. "And half of our lobby is being redone as well."
Read more:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...n.3a2587f.html
Old Dec 25, 2008, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Considering a stay here for NYE. Does anyone know if they have any renovated rooms yet?
Old Dec 12, 2009, 8:34 am

Programs: CO-plat, SPG-plat
Has anyone stayed here since the renovation?
Old Dec 12, 2009, 8:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Totoro
Has anyone stayed here since the renovation?
I would also be interested in this. When this property was an Adam's Mark, its reputation in Dallas was one of a huge and extremely run-down hotel.
Old Dec 12, 2009, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by controller1
I would also be interested in this. When this property was an Adam's Mark, its reputation in Dallas was one of a huge and extremely run-down hotel.
Check out the hotel's entry on TripAdvisor; lots of reviews there (I know, I know...). The one thing that strikes me about this hotel is that they do consistently respond to posted reviews, good or bad. Not many do that. Tells me that, for all their issues, they seem serious about rectifying them, which I can attest to (one of the reviews is mine, btw).
Old Jan 11, 2010, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, SPG Gold
Hotel is mentioned this week in Dallas Morning News as part of a story about impressing convention planners:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...a.38999b3.html
Old Oct 18, 2010, 9:02 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I've stayed at this hotel a lot over the past year and I love the new renovations. I wish every Sheraton was redone like this. The rooms are modern, but extremely functional. I actually stayed at the Adam's Mark a long time ago, and I didn't even realize this was the same place until I saw the thread title.

It's a huge place, but the hotel does a pretty good job of managing it all, with the exception of room service and housekeeping requests which are a pretty slow.

A few notes of advice though:

1. Parking can be a huge hassle here unless you valet, but there is an entrance right off of Pearl past the DART tracks on the right side of the road. Pull in here, drive down one level and park by the north tower elevators. This elevator takes you up right by the north tower elevators and makes getting in and out a lot easier than self-parking by the main entrance.

2. The check-in/check-out lines can be crazy but skip them by using the kiosks on the opposite walls. There's never anyone at them, my bonus points always post, and you can change your room selection from the menu so you can choose a north tower room to make getting to your car easier.

3. They don't sell suites on-line, but they have a few huge suites on each floor which they will upgrade platinums to. I had to ask the first time, but ever since then I'm always pre-upgraded into one of them now. The set-up is a little weird because the bedroom has two double beds as opposed to the usual king, but this would be the PERFECT room for a large family. Attached to the bedroom is a huge living room with a sofa bed and 4-seat dining table.

4. For breakfast there a tons of options right around the hotel. There's a Pete's Coffee (I think that's the name) right downstairs, then there's a McDonald's and a bunch of other places in the food court in the old Westin Building which you can get to via the skywalk.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 9:49 pm
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
I never visited this property when it was an Adam's Mark, and so can't comment on what it was like before, but I really liked this hotel.

It's a huge convention hotel (I read the largest hotel in TX in terms of # of rooms), but the staff does a good job with helping every guest. While walking through the lobby, I was consistently greeted and welcomed.

I'm just a Gold, but was upgraded to an Executive Suite in the North Tower. Apparently the lounge was closed, and I was offered breakfast coupons for each day, including the day I checked in (I checked in early around 9AM.)

The Executive Suite room featured a living area with a 4 seat dining table, a sofa and a wet bar area, as well as a tv.

The bedroom had two queen beds and had lots of room.

A few negatives about the room:

1) The living area was a bit dark and gloomy since there were no windows in this room.

2) My room was freezing and I don't think the Central Air worked that well.

3) The mattresses felt lumpy.

I appreciated the functionality of the room though, which I truly appreciate when on a business trip. The lighting was more than sufficient; there were outlets everywhere; the TV had lots of channels.

This hotel participates in the Go Green program, which I chose, and so I received 500 bonus points each day I declined housekeeping.

I would say that the food isn't that great in the Kitchen Table restaurant, but it's decent. And it's pretty reasonably priced. I did like the online room service option, especially since you got a 10% discount on your order if you ordered online.

If you're a sports fan, there's a very popular sports bar there with big screen tvs and a Wii machine. It was packed every night.

I was really happy with the service, especially considering the two large conferences occurring during my stay.

The best part of this hotel is the gym. At almost 6,000 square feet, this was the nicest hotel gym, owned by the hotel, that I had ever been to. I usually go to Equinox in Dallas, but had no need here.

I come to Dallas often and would have no problem staying here again.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Starwood Gold, Fairmont Platinum
South Tower vs North Tower

Is there any difference between the two towers in terms of the quality of rooms? Is one better than the other?
Old Jun 1, 2011, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by shyam99
Is there any difference between the two towers in terms of the quality of rooms? Is one better than the other?
The club lounge is on the 28th or 29th floor of the South Tower. I stayed here and was given a giant well-appointed "Executive Suite" in one of the Center towers with a nice view facing east - getting to the lounge required going downstairs (or to 2nd floor), walking to South Tower, and going upstairs. Not a huge inconvenience, however.

IIRC, there is a North Tower, a Center Tower, and a South Tower, with 2 sets of elevators for Center - one for 1-14, and the other for 15-29 or whatever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.