Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

used points but still charged for room?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT

A couple of nights ago I stayed at the LHR Hilton using 40K points. I have now been billed for 400.00+ for the cost of the room. Talked to the billing manager at the property who says HHonors billed me and I should talk to them. However, HHonors agent says the property billed me. I've already contacted my credit card company to contest the charge.

Has anyone had a similar situation -if so how did you rectify it?

TIA
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:12 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
When both sides act like this, I agree that you should just deal with your credit card company. They will require the property/Hilton to jump through hoops to justify... and since you have proof that you used points... you are covered.

How did the charge show on your credit card statement? Directly from the hotel? I find it hard to believe that HHonors would directly bill you for anything.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Have the charges settled to your account or are they still pending? Sometimes a hotel will authorize the normal formula for the stay despite the fact you are paying with points and then, when you check out, release the room portion and unused extra portion of the authorization.

I worded that poorly, but I had a long night. Here's an example:

Paying with points for a $240/night room, 2 nights. Hotel authorizes $480 ($240x2) + 30% for incidentals. When I checkout, they settle that authorization for just the $90 in incidentals I actually spent and the $624 authorization turns into a $90 settled charge 5 days later.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DillMan
Have the charges settled to your account or are they still pending? Sometimes a hotel will authorize the normal formula for the stay despite the fact you are paying with points and then, when you check out, release the room portion and unused extra portion of the authorization.

I worded that poorly, but I had a long night. Here's an example:

Paying with points for a $240/night room, 2 nights. Hotel authorizes $480 ($240x2) + 30% for incidentals. When I checkout, they settle that authorization for just the $90 in incidentals I actually spent and the $624 authorization turns into a $90 settled charge 5 days later.
That's what I thought it would be - and the charge is still pending on the credit card. However, HHonors has awarded points for the stay that correspond to the entirety of the charge.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 3:09 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by bdemaria
That's what I thought it would be - and the charge is still pending on the credit card. However, HHonors has awarded points for the stay that correspond to the entirety of the charge.
I'm not following this...

How many more (fewer) points do you have now than before the stay ?
IOW, was the 40k ever actually deducted ? I'm thinking some umm... failure to commoon'cate during the booking process.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
I'm not following this...

How many more (fewer) points do you have now than before the stay ?
IOW, was the 40k ever actually deducted ? I'm thinking some umm... failure to commoon'cate during the booking process.
The 40K points were deducted two months ago when I made the reservation. I have the certificate # and everything and the property acknowledges that it was a reward stay and that they accepted the reward certificate when I checked in.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Was this a diamond force of a point reservation? If so then this is happened to me, but the card has always been credited a day or two later without me having to ask. The good news is that I've also received the points as well, and in the last incident got half my points back
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:01 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
OP - this happened to me - LHR stay in late December. 40K taken from my account for a reward stay, but still charged for my room. Contacted LHR Hilton and they told me the Diamond Desk would need to send them the details of the reward stay again as they had no record. Called the DD and they reissued the award and then they contacted the LHR Hilton. The next day I received an email indicating they would refund the amount. Not much of a hassel, but one nonetheless.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 10:20 am

Programs: KL Plat, SN Gold, DL Plat, HH Diamond, IC Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle,
LHR is quite bad for this

They once charged me a whopping 5K GBP for somebody elses stay. Luckilliy I had bill for my onw stay and other night at a different London Hilton to prove it wasn't me.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 12:06 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by rlmk
They once charged me a whopping 5K GBP for somebody elses stay. Luckilliy I had bill for my onw stay and other night at a different London Hilton to prove it wasn't me.
Wow. Note to self: stay away from the LHR Hilton!
Old Jun 29, 2008, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
Wow. Note to self: stay away from the LHR Hilton!
Yeah, for all kinds of reasons.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 4:28 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Write to [email protected], copied to the Diamond Desk, with a note that the Diamond Desk has, unfortunately, been unable to rectify this problem.

Note that the the Guest Relations folks are in Memphis, iirc, and only open during Central Daylight Time business hours.

But they can get stuff done and cut through stuff, ime.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:00 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by bdemaria
I got points for a reward stay corresponding to the commercial rate that I would have paid had I had to pay. So, it does not mean that you will actually be charged.
I am sure it is just a pending authorization - sometimes these can be held for up to 30 days!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.