Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

How do I put this delicately...

How do I put this delicately...

Old Jun 27, 2008, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Red face How do I put this delicately...

Does anyone travel with *ahem* personal items on business trips? The kind that requires batteries. I'm considering it as I'm frequently gone for weeks at a time, but haven't done so thus far. Probably checked as opposed to carry on

If so, do you put it in checked baggage? Would random border searches give you cause for hesitation? Most of my travel is between the US and Canada.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 2:22 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
No need to be embarrased.

Yes, I carry my Ipod with me.... and even noise cancelling headphones.... .

I would never put them in checked baggage....
Old Jun 27, 2008, 2:24 pm

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Let's take this into OMNI land .....

I'm sure you could find an FT-er to replace the need for the item in question.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Jun 27, 2008, 2:31 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
This reminds me of a thread from a few years ago.... I am not going to comment....

Just read the first post in the thread completely....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ght=beads+anal
Old Jun 27, 2008, 3:48 pm

I've traveled with interesting items in both checked and carryon luggage. The carryon luggage got a secondary once and the (male) TSO gave the bag the once over. He didn't seem to blink or care, but I made sure I was looking directly at him and had my "I really don't give a damn what you think" look plastered on my face in case he had decided to say something.

I find that as I've gotten older, not much embarasses me. It's kind of like my bra strap showing or a tampon falling out of my purse - not ideal that it's shown in public, but I don't think anyone had doubts that I was female to begin with so logic would dictate these things exist in my life.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
I don't have access to OMNI yet And I doubt my significant other would approve of any replacement outside of the battery powered kind!

Originally Posted by wharvey
This reminds me of a thread from a few years ago.... I am not going to comment....

Ok, I just finished reading that post. HOLY CRAP. I'm laughing so hard I'm almost in tears.

Last edited by phedre; Jun 27, 2008 at 4:23 pm
Old Jun 27, 2008, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL, Hhonors Gold
I remember reading a story written on an internet bb about a person's friend who put hers in her checked bag and when she opened her luggage at the hotel, there was a sticky note on it with some kind of smart ... comment. I can't remember the specifics....

I'd imagine at this point, there is little they haven't seen....
Old Jun 27, 2008, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, *A Gold, Hyatt GP, HHonors, SPG, Priority Club
Wink

I haven't actually tried traveling with this, but I have a 2-word suggestion: electric toothbrush.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:45 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by wharvey

That was very funny!

I suspect there's little you can carry on or check in your luggage that the screener's haven't seen...and probably see several times a day! Let's hope the have the maturity to focus on looking for the important things.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:45 pm

Programs: I have commitment issues.
Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
Cheers, GenevaFlyer
How very titillating, GenevaFlyer. It really does make one wonder what goes on in OMNI land.
Phedre, I'm not grown up enough for OMNI yet either so I'm glad you posted here.

I second OfftoOz's approach - just refuse to be embarrassed. Put on your best "So what's your point? You mean your s*x life is so mundane that it doesn't include one of these? How very sad for you, poor dear."

Checking a "personal item" - ick. The idea of anyone else touching a toy is not nice.

Some of the more um, petite, varieties say something like "mini massager" or "personal massager" on them. yes indeed, personal massager....
Old Jun 27, 2008, 9:59 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by phedre
Does anyone travel with *ahem* personal items on business trips? The kind that requires batteries. I'm considering it as I'm frequently gone for weeks at a time, but haven't done so thus far. Probably checked as opposed to carry on

If so, do you put it in checked baggage? Would random border searches give you cause for hesitation? Most of my travel is between the US and Canada.
I think this is a great and fair question. If I chose to travel with a "personal item" I believe I would remove the batteries. My guess is that the item could be in carry -on without a problem or in checked baggage.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 10:46 pm

You must remove the batteries. Too many "personal" items have turned on by accident, causing everyone to get jumpy, especially in checked bags.

Airline employees have lots of stories about jumping plastic johnsons.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 10:59 am

been there - done that

I think the point is that as long as the Screeners don't care, you shouldn't either.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 12:08 pm

Programs: I have commitment issues.
Originally Posted by Elizabethh
I think the point is that as long as the Screeners don't care, you shouldn't either.

I don't care even IF the screeners care.
In fact, if screeners mentioned it or made a face or in any way tried to embarrass me, I would go into full Barstool Ninja mode.
That would really tick me off!

(I dont know what I'm getting feisty about...it's never happened to me. This is a theoretical response. )
Old Jun 28, 2008, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sfogate
You must remove the batteries. Too many "personal" items have turned on by accident, causing everyone to get jumpy, especially in checked bags.

Airline employees have lots of stories about jumping plastic johnsons.
HAHAHAHAHA oh man. This thread is proving to be very entertaining

Note to self: remove batteries!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.