Search

Redeemed Dividend Miles for SQ flight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2008, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, base with everyone else
Redeemed Dividend Miles for SQ flight

Hi all,

I have several times redeemed my dividend miles for SQ flights. However, for whatever reason every time I tried to check in at the airport - it seems like they are always having a hard time finding my reservation. It really doesn't matter which airport - whether it was at EWR or CGK or SIN. They finally found them but still the experience sometimes was making me nervous.
Back then I always had paper ticket from USAIR for my SQ flights. Now, I have another trip coming up on SQ again but this time it is e-ticket which makes me even more nervous. I know that the confirmation number that USAIR gave me is not my SQ confirmation number. Can anyone give me some pointers and advice to what I can do to be prepared? I know most likely I'm getting paranoid but I just don't want any surprises.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 6:06 pm
Suspended

Great question and common problem. I have used almost all of my US miles on SQ and am emptying my US account now on SQ for F travel through next March.

This is the solution:

1.) As soon as you make the reservation with US, call SQ at 800-742-3333. Give them your outbound date of travel, routing and SQ flight number. Ask them for their SQ record locater number. Get seat assignments for all of your SQ flights from SQ.
2.) Call US reservations back and tell them that SQ has advised you that they will need to have "control of their flights for your travel transferred to SQ". This will cause you to be completely legitimate with SQ while guaranteeing that you miss out on all of the SHARES problems inherent within the US reservation system. Then, require that US transfer control for all but your flights on their a/c to SQ. In so doing, US no longer has ANY ability to screw with your reservation.
3.) Through the SQ website, apply for a KrisFlyer membership, then call SQ back to have that number added to your PNR. That will allow you full access to all of SQ's web reservation capabilities. Then, from the SQ website, print your specific reservation record.

Incidentally, if US goes belly up before your SQ flight, under the US Code your reservation will still be good. In the USA, once a ticket is issued it is valid for travel (unless the specific carrier ticketed no longer exists) because payment is assumed upon issuance of the ticket. It is not that way in most other countries. Once the ticket is issued SQ becomes a creditor of US if US goes belly up. But, you still get to fly under the USC.

As the inevitable disappearance of US gets closer, it will be necessary to structure these *A redemptions without US flights included, from gateway cities. I just redeemed US miles for SFOSGN on SQ in February. But, I will fly DL on a standalone ticket to SFO.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 6:35 pm

Welcome to Flyertalk, NoTux4Me. This is timely information for me since I have an upcoming award flight on SQ. I'm not sure I'll be able to follow through on your #2 suggestion since I have a connecting flight on LH. I did #1 and will now do #3. Thanks.

Bobette
Old Jun 28, 2008, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Oh wow, definitely great tips. Thanks a lot. Now I can't wait for Monday to come to do just that.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by NoTux4Me
...Incidentally, if US goes belly up before your SQ flight, under the US Code your reservation will still be good. In the USA, once a ticket is issued it is valid for travel (unless the specific carrier ticketed no longer exists) because payment is assumed upon issuance of the ticket. It is not that way in most other countries. Once the ticket is issued SQ becomes a creditor of US if US goes belly up. But, you still get to fly under the USC....
Welcome to FlyerTalk, NoTux4Me

Helpful information you provided on award SQ flights, and thanks.

I'm unaware of the relevant USC section you refer to, and would appreciate a helpful pointer in the right direction ...
Old Jun 28, 2008, 8:36 pm

Incidentally, if US goes belly up before your SQ flight, under the US Code your reservation will still be good. In the USA, once a ticket is issued it is valid for travel (unless the specific carrier ticketed no longer exists) because payment is assumed upon issuance of the ticket. It is not that way in most other countries. Once the ticket is issued SQ becomes a creditor of US if US goes belly up. But, you still get to fly under the USC.
Unless the rules have changed since ATA's filing, tickets issued on the dead airline's ticket stock wouldn't be valid no matter what carrier they are for.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 9:15 pm
Suspended

My information actually came from an SQ reservations supervisor, and then it was affirmed by an older (senior) transportation attorney in the firm for which I work (660 lawyers).

The ATA situation was ATA ticket stock for an ATA flight, with no ATA aircraft flying and no interline agreements in place with other airlines (except WN). I have been advised, but I am going to confirm it in detail, that a US ticket (or NW or DL or UA, etc.) "issued as a partcipating alliance member for flights on another alliance carrier has validity and usefulness based on date of issue in no way connected with date of death or alliance status of the issuing carrier. The ticket is valid without regard to life or alliance membership state of the issuing alliance airline, provided the alliance itself exists on the dates of travel."

This is, of course, not legal advice! But, the guy who told me so is an encyclopedia of case law on all subjects related to common carrier travel.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 8:40 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
But what if SQ decides to ignore the US Code? Would a passenger holding an award ticket have any recourse?
Old Jun 30, 2008, 8:50 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by tommyleo
But what if SQ decides to ignore the US Code? Would a passenger holding an award ticket have any recourse?
AFAIK, there's no US Code section on this...it's easy enough to say there's one without providing the relevant citation!

SQ, among others, did honor tickets when Ansett went belly-up years ago, but that was a "goodwill" gesture. Legal recourse? I don't think so.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 3:17 pm

Programs: Cards with lots of logos on them
I am just impressed that you were able to redeem your US miles on SQ. I have tried a few times to no avail but was able to transfer my membership rewards points from Amex to SQ Krismiles to get where I needed.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 4:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
If/when US goes under, it will be up to each partner airline whether or not to honor the tickets.

Overall, with the *A, I would hope/assume that partner airlines will maintain reservations made with dividend miles as a goodwill gesture.

When Aloha went under, United honored reservations made with Aloha airmiles - but there was nothing requiring them to do so.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bthobe
I am just impressed that you were able to redeem your US miles on SQ. I have tried a few times to no avail but was able to transfer my membership rewards points from Amex to SQ Krismiles to get where I needed.
I've never had any issues in redeeming USAir Miles on SQ. One time I was able to get SQ coach for a flight leaving 2 days after redemption. Nevertheless, one has to be a bit flexible if he/she is thinking about redeeming for First or Business. Thus, I'm flying out of JFK this time....sigh.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 8:24 pm

Programs: US Silver, AA Gold, CO Gold
My information actually came from an SQ reservations supervisor, and then it was affirmed by an older (senior) transportation attorney in the firm for which I work (660 lawyers).

The ATA situation was ATA ticket stock for an ATA flight, with no ATA aircraft flying and no interline agreements in place with other airlines (except WN). I have been advised, but I am going to confirm it in detail, that a US ticket (or NW or DL or UA, etc.) "issued as a partcipating alliance member for flights on another alliance carrier has validity and usefulness based on date of issue in no way connected with date of death or alliance status of the issuing carrier. The ticket is valid without regard to life or alliance membership state of the issuing alliance airline, provided the alliance itself exists on the dates of travel."

This is, of course, not legal advice! But, the guy who told me so is an encyclopedia of case law on all subjects related to common carrier travel.
Please do check with your colleague on this and let us know what he advises. There was a separate position on this topic counter to your reply here -> http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=838637

Thank you.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 8:57 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
This thread may be of interest to those of you concerned about US ticketed itineraries on other *A partners should US go the way of the dodo:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183669

For more information on compensation, I had started a thread a few days ago in the *A forum asking how compensation amongst the carriers works. Probably no one in a position to post knows with any degree of certainty, but that's never stopped us from having lively discussions before...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=838282
Old Jul 1, 2008, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Thanks a lot for great the info NoTux4me and Sean. As many (former) loyal US customers I'm burning my miles and have award tickets on SQ and LH. The earliest ones for October (combined SQ/LH) are safe, I assume, the rest....well, I'll make sure to have funds ready to buy my cancelled (C, ouch back to Y) tickets and not have the pleasure of a nice vacation spoiled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.