Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Try out the Executive Selection even if you are not Executive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2008, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE

I've switched my weekly rental business over to National and been very happy. One thing I can confirm is in the LA area at LAX, ONT, or SNA I've never had a problem taking a car from the Executive Aisle even as a regular Emerald member at this time. Not even a question in five weeks of doing this.

Loving my loaded Avalon right now.

Just an FYI to fellow Flyertalkers...
Old Jul 1, 2008, 12:26 am

Not cool.

Old Jul 1, 2008, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Agree... as someone who earns her ES through about 75 rentals a year, this does NOT make me happy to hear and I plan to mention it to my corporate rep the next time we chat.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 7:09 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.4 MM Hertz Gold, National Executive Elite, Starwood Gold, Hyat Gold
Grow up everyone.

If they let him take the car good for him. It is Nationals job to stop the OP if they want to.

Enjoy your UG!
Old Jul 1, 2008, 7:10 am

Programs: National Elite. that is all...
Originally Posted by techgirl
Agree... as someone who earns her ES through about 75 rentals a year, this does NOT make me happy to hear and I plan to mention it to my corporate rep the next time we chat.
congrats on working the system in your favor.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Sholey
Grow up everyone.

If they let him take the car good for him. It is Nationals job to stop the OP if they want to.

Enjoy your UG!
Except there is a difference between "sneaking" out with something that doesn't belong to you and 'asking a rep' for the upgrade..most likely they will say yes...
Old Jul 1, 2008, 9:27 am

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
I, too, don't agree with this practice. It's not in the T&C that you can take a car from the ES as a Emerald Member. While I understand there is a desire for people to "play the system", a blatant disregard for the terms is not cool
Old Jul 1, 2008, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
It seems as though they have no way to see your actual status at time of checkout. Coworkers of mine have been playing this game as well.

I really have no defense - but I don't view it as "wrong". I never fill up so I give them back the money on the refuel. Also, the nice cars are keeping me at National and not going back to Hertz, and I rent a car almost every week of the year.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Lofwyr
It seems as though they have no way to see your actual status at time of checkout. Coworkers of mine have been playing this game as well.

I really have no defense - but I don't view it as "wrong". I never fill up so I give them back the money on the refuel. Also, the nice cars are keeping me at National and not going back to Hertz, and I rent a car almost every week of the year.
You can justify it however you want. It doesn't make it right if you aren't entitled to it. Hey, I won't complain though because chances are that you doing this doesn't mean every single person is doing this and ruining the selection for Executive members. If they don't have a car I like, I go to the counter for an upgrade and choose the car I want for a small fee so it doesn't make a difference for me either way.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 10:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
Originally Posted by Lofwyr

Umm, if you rent a car every week and are sticking with National then why haven't you hit the dozen rentals you need for executive? Maybe you did -- could that be why they don't complain...
Old Jul 1, 2008, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL GE
Well if that's the case, think they'll notice if I took one of the VIP lot?
Old Jul 1, 2008, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by Sholey
Grow up everyone.

Enjoy your UG!
I agree as well. And for everyone else who is frowning on it, let me ask you this. Supposed you stayed at a luxury hotel for 5 nights at $200 a night. you notice on your credit card statement you were only charged for 4. Gee...hmmm... you have no idea why, but are you going to call???????? Here, pls take $200 more dollars from me. Or maybe you rented a car and as you walk away with your receipt, you notice the charge is significantly less than what you remember.

Don't be so quick to always judge about doing "the right thing" when you may not either.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by reddawngrl
I agree as well. And for everyone else who is frowning on it, let me ask you this. Supposed you stayed at a luxury hotel for 5 nights at $200 a night. you notice on your credit card statement you were only charged for 4. Gee...hmmm... you have no idea why, but are you going to call???????? Here, pls take $200 more dollars from me. Or maybe you rented a car and as you walk away with your receipt, you notice the charge is significantly less than what you remember.

Don't be so quick to always judge about doing "the right thing" when you may not either.
That analogy is not quite right. It would be more like this: he stayed at a luxury hotel for 5 nights at $200/night. But since the staff wasn't paying attention, he moved his stuff into the luxury suite at $400/night, and got away with it.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 11:28 pm

No actually, it's any analogy wherein you got more than what you actually paid for, no one noticed and you're not going to point it out.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 11:32 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
I agree with both sides of this argument... sort of. I have no problem with someone taking advantage of a loophole or glitch that enables them to get what their not entitled too... I have done it myself. I don't believe in casting holier than thou judgements around. It's no different than a "mistake" fare on an airline... if it's a known mistake, then isn't it unethical to take advantage of it? It sure hasn't stopped most of FT from doing it at one time or another!

To me it's the company's responsibility to enforce the rules. And as someone who just made Exec, I wish National would get on the ball and fix this. And I would have no problem complaining about it the next time I'm at one of these locations.

What locations is it happening at again?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.