Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unexplained Upgrade to 1K

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2008, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Unexplained Upgrade to 1K

So I have flown around 77k EQM this year and was Prem. Exec. Just logged into MP site today and it says 1k; only 33 EQS this year so I don't think it's that either.

Does this happen often? Is it a mistake? Actually flying today and when I printed my boarding pass it still says Prem. Exec. but when I call into the MP customer service line the automatic prompter says I'm 1k ...

What gives?

thanks!!
Old Jul 6, 2008, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Did you fly a bunch during the DEQM promo?
Old Jul 6, 2008, 10:37 am

Programs: AC SE, BA silver
Welcome to FT!

Do you usually fly discount economy, or full fare economy/business/first? Do you have a lot of UA travel booked for the rest of the year?

UA sometimes advances status, but it's rare that they do it to 1K with only 77K EQMs...

In any case, enjoy ^
Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:02 am
Community Director Emerita

In the early 2000s, UA would advance status when your spend was about $35K. That was how I became a 1K the first time, with lots of paid biz fares. Perhaps they have continued that - or are doing it again.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:52 am

David,

I posted a similar situation in another thread. I only have 71 EQM and the same thing happened (I do have 105 total miles from other sources though). Did you get the 1K card in the mail yet, and if so, what is the expiratio? Mine is Feb of 2009, when the program would indicate it should be Feb of 2010. I'm thinking maybe we got credited for a lot of early 08 travel as suggested by others, but only have the status until Feb of 09, unless we actually get the 100K EQM in 2008????

I'm speculating of course and don't really want to call to get clarification from anyone with united....
Old Jul 6, 2008, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Yea I do have lots of paid business class fairs (usually discount business though but also lots of Y-ups into first). Definitely have passed the $35k spend bar. My Class D trip to China last week might've put me over their bar (around $11k). Anyways, nice little surprise. Conner, don't have my card yet, just found out online this morning (and I know that as of Friday when I last checked i was still prem. exec.) so will let you know. I'm sure i would've gotten to 1k this year anyways but always good to get it early. hopefully that'll push me up the list a bit for my waitlist upgrade back from Europe in a few weeks (will it?)

Thanks guys,
Old Jul 6, 2008, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I know they do midyear sweeps for GS noms but I don't think I've heard of them doing this for 1K status.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by david2010
Yea I do have lots of paid business class fairs (usually discount business though but also lots of Y-ups into first)[...]
That explains it, congratulations, this is well deserved and a good move by United ^ .
Old Jul 6, 2008, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Congrats. Wish UA would do their monthly (for July) sweep for threshold upgrades and double EQMs already! It is the first Sunday of the month...
Old Jul 6, 2008, 1:37 pm
Community Director Emerita

david2010 and conner, welcome to FlyerTalk and the United forum. I found FlyerTalk the year I became 1K unexpectedly. I was trying to understand why, and understand the perks that came with it. FlyerTalk proved to be the way to understand it all. I hope that it proves so for you.

I can still remember checking in for a flight from Tokyo, having seen 1K on my account online, convinced it was a mistake. 1K's were allowed to use the F check in at that time. My biz check in line was extremely long, and I was wishing I was entitled to it. I was - but had no idea.

It's a shame that UA doesn't capitalize on their fast tracking folks by letting them KNOW. They could create significant good will by saying "thanks for your loyalty, thanks for flying premium class, and because you do, here is our gift for you."
Old Jul 6, 2008, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
Originally Posted by david2010
So I have flown around 77k EQM this year and was Prem. Exec. Just logged into MP site today and it says 1k; only 33 EQS this year so I don't think it's that either.

Does this happen often? Is it a mistake? Actually flying today and when I printed my boarding pass it still says Prem. Exec. but when I call into the MP customer service line the automatic prompter says I'm 1k ...

What gives?

thanks!!
I don't think this is a mistake, but I'm not sure if this happens often enough. However, I was a recipient of such status bump a few years ago, as well as other FTers like Robotdoctor. In my case, I was also 1P who divided my trips between UA and NW. This bump did make me fly most exclusively on UA and *A as I've never looked back and reached 1K now for the past 4 years.

Congrats ^
Old Jul 6, 2008, 2:25 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have seen it happen as early as May with less than 50,000 EQM's.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 2:54 am

Programs: UA 1K!, NWA PE
Congrats... I'm stuck on 99,686 until my return from MUC to JFK on Friday... no such luck for me getting the early round up - but it's definitely because I am Mr. S and W fare (95% out of pocket travel)
Old Jul 7, 2008, 3:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, CX Gold
I've just hit 1K (based on 2008 EQM). Will I get the SWUs this year or next year? Thanks.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by RI2KH2SU
I've just hit 1K (based on 2008 EQM). Will I get the SWUs this year or next year? Thanks.
In January of next year. In previous years, United gave the option to have 4 SWUs deposited in November, but it may or may not happen again. Also, if you get 150K EQMs you get 2 extra EQMs which are deposited as soon as you cross the threshold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.