Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis Chairmans Club Expierence

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2008, 9:07 pm

Programs: Avis CHM, Hertz Plat, National EE, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Le Club Plat, CX Gold
Originally Posted by mbflyflyaway
Well I just got pretty much the same story on a call to the CHM desk (middle of the day). I've only called one other time to request a small SUV instead of a boat-mobile -- request was fulfilled very nicely. This was just about a month ago. Today, I called for a reservation tomorrow and requested one of the Caddies instead of a TownCar as that's what they tried to give me on my last rental. She said a couple of things -- same thing as posted before about only upgrading a couple of levels and since I book intermediate by default, I couldn't get a Caddy. Also, she said they've been specifically told not to guarantee CTS's due to the fact that apparently everyone wants them. She said ultimately it's up to the desk, I told her I just wanted the request in. We'll see what I get tomorrow.

-Mike
Probably because I keep requesting them all the time...
Old Oct 21, 2008, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by mbflyflyaway
only upgrading a couple of levels
That is the Presidents Club benefit, NOT the CHM benefit.

Also, she said they've been specifically told not to guarantee CTS's due to the fact that apparently everyone wants them.
Specific vehicles are NOT guaranteed. It's an upgrade to best available (sadly with some specific vehicle exceptions). They'll accomodate your prefs if they can but they don't guarantee upgrade to a CTS. That's not new.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by gleff
Specific vehicles are NOT guaranteed. It's an upgrade to best available (sadly with some specific vehicle exceptions). They'll accomodate your prefs if they can but they don't guarantee upgrade to a CTS. That's not new.
Do they generally honor requests for particular classes? I reserved an intermediate car for an upcoming reservation; and just called the desk stating I would like a full-size SUV and was told they wouldn't do that. They said I could be upgraded to an Explorer but nothing more.
FWIW, the CSR I talked to identified himself as working the Chairman Desk.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 11:30 pm

Programs: Former COA Silver; AVIS Chairmans Club; AOPA
CC

Originally Posted by dimramon
Do they generally honor requests for particular classes?
There is absolutely no need to rent above the Intermediate class when you are a Chairmans Club member. I telephone the CC-desk the day before or morning of my flight and have them confirm that a Cadillac will be waiting for my arrival. Thus far I have gotten the STS just about every time ... and have never gotten a CTS (although my wife drives the '09 CTS AWD at home, making me quite jealous).

To show how well we CC members are treated, I had forgotten to call to confirm my Caddy at FLL last week ... so immediately upon touchdown at FLL, I fired up my cellphone while still on the taxiway, called the CC desk, and within 45 seconds the rep confirmed that a "gold STS" was in a slot with my name on it.

I have gotten the impression that the local AVIS managers (and their staff) shake in their boots when a CC member makes a request (or has a complaint). I have found a few of the CC desk telephone reps to be a bit cold and aloof at times ... but a reminder that I was invited into the CC by the AVIS higher ups always gets the rep to come down from her/his high horse and fulfill my deman.... er-r-r-r request.

Although I have not tried it personally, I suspect that a "pretty please" request to the station manager upon arrival at your destination will likely get you the full sized SUV ... if it is available. As I stated above, the local people quake because they fear a backlash from an unhappy Chairman ... while the CC-desk reps are essentially anonymous and probably fearless as well.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, SWA A+, SPG Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by N9MD
There is absolutely no need to rent above the Intermediate class when you are a Chairmans Club member. I telephone the CC-desk the day before or morning of my flight and have them confirm that a Cadillac will be waiting for my arrival. Thus far I have gotten the STS just about every time ... and have never gotten a CTS (although my wife drives the '09 CTS AWD at home, making me quite jealous).
My first few rentals I got an STS without even asking. Lately my luck is going downhill quickly. In LAS a few weeks ago, on a Wednesday-Friday rental I got an Impala. Manager assured me that was the best on the lot, despite there being at least one CTS next to it, and countless other cars much better than an Impala.

Now I just called to use one of my Avis First free weekend rentals that was about to expire, only to be told Chairman's members were not allowed to use Avis First free weekend rentals they have earned. Seems odd to me, because I have gotten them since I got CHM. I may call back tomorrow to inquire further.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by edlin303
Now I just called to use one of my Avis First free weekend rentals that was about to expire, only to be told Chairman's members were not allowed to use Avis First free weekend rentals they have earned. Seems odd to me, because I have gotten them since I got CHM. I may call back tomorrow to inquire further.
Just book the car rental online and add the Free Weekend coupon in the appropriate field. Works perfectly fine. One can be CHM and First member at the same time, however, this is not known to most CHM agents. If you do it on the phone, just have them to add that coupon number. I've done this numeral times.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 11:47 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, SWA A+, SPG Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by heffa
Just book the car rental online and add the Free Weekend coupon in the appropriate field. Works perfectly fine. One can be CHM and First member at the same time, however, this is not known to most CHM agents. If you do it on the phone, just have them to add that coupon number. I've done this numeral times.
I only called because I wanted to see if I could use another free day coupon for a third day. Instead, she made me use 3 1-day coupons. Oh well. Just was not impressed with the lack of service or valid information apparently.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 11:54 pm

I recently posted about wanting a full size SUV for one of my rentals.
Monday afternoon, I call the chairman desk asking them to put a note on my account stating that I want a full size SUV.
Today, I call DEN to confirm my reservation and selection. I called them four times. Call 1: You rented an intermediate car and that is what you get. Call 2: We can't help you or look up information since our computers are down. Call 3: when you get to your car in the designated spot, let us know if you don't like it. Call 4: I asked for the station manager and I get another employee. When I identify myself again as a chairman, he says he knows, but he says he can't tell me what car I'll get.
Finally, I call the chairman's desk and ask if there is a note requesting a particular vehicle. The employee can't find anything and asks what I would like. Furthermore, she asks if I would like a specific vehicle. I saw I would like a full size, such as a Suburban or a Nissan Armada.
This afternoon, I go over to the Avis bus at DEN. The driver asks if I am preferred and I give him my name. He goes to the front and types in my information. We sit there waiting another 5 minutes, but nobody boards and he gets bumped by the next bus.
When we get to the lot, he says what spot my car is in. I get off the bus and start walking the wrong way. He honks and yells: "Hey, it's the other way".
When I get to the designated spot, I see a Dodge minivan with a large dent.
I look at the surrounding vehicles and can't find anything so I go to the main building. I give them my information, tell them what happened, and they type away for a minute or so. Finally, they get on the radio and say that the chairman is here. Then they apologize and say that someone is washing my car. When the car arrives, I see it's an Infinity and definitely not what I requested. They say I could have a Suburban or an H3. I choose the Suburban, they quickly wash it and I'm on my way.
I have to say that, compared to MSP earlier this week, this was a very poor experience. Four calls, still not getting the car I wanted, no meet 'n' greet, and I can't say they were busy. During the entire 30 minutes I wasted on the lot, I was the only customer there.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 7:51 am

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
dimramon, that's not a typical Denver experience. Denver is one of the nicer station and I've always been met by a manager exiting the bus.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 8:45 pm

dimramon, that's not a typical Denver experience. Denver is one of the nicer station and I've always been met by a manager exiting the bus.
I'm glad to know that since I have a lot of rentals coming up there. It was just really day and night compared to other experiences.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 8:46 pm

I did that this past weekend. I used one of my free weekends and it worked fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.