Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St Regis Beijing [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2008, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Arrow St Regis Beijing [Master Thread]

Well I have just checked in to the St Regis and at the request of those wanting photos of the rooms, I have taken some quick photos of the renovated rooms that we have been allocated.

There are photos of an Executive Deluxe room and a Diplomat Deluxe (junior suite) room to be found at:
/
The hotel still has a few more days of renovation work to go. We were told by the company dropping us off at the hotel that the guests over the past week or so since the re-opening have had problems with room keys, the safes and TVs. In the first hour we already have 2 non-working TVs out of 3 and a malfunctioning safe. (All sorted very quickly) The floor we are on is also a bit dusty and the carpet needs a good hoover, but hopefully that is where any small negatives end. According to the hotel staff, most of the hotel is now open except for some of the upper floors which includes the executive lounge. As a result we were given a voucher each for each day of our stay which will get us a couple of free drinks in the Press Club bar.

Check-in was prompt and efficient. We have 2 Deluxe rooms reserved for 4 nights. One room was upgraded to a Diplomat Deluxe, which is a larger room with a sitting area and some upgraded facilities (more on those later!) The other room was upgraded to an Executive room which apparently is a bit larger than a standard Deluxe. What was good though was that the two rooms are connected, so very useful for a family travelling together.

The rooms have been nicely refurbished and feature modern decor with more traditional style furnishings. The bathrooms are very good with marble throughout and new fixtures and fittings. The Executive Deluxe room has a TV in the bathroom, whilst the Diplomat Deluxe has a what can be only described as a 'Techno Toilet'. (See photos!) I have seen the future of sanitaryware ladies and gentlemen and it is at the St Regis...

The toilet appears to have a number of settings, including seat temperature and and 'rinsing' options so you don't need to leave the comfort of your seat. The intriguing option is the 'wand wash' function, although I daren't push the button to find out what it does. The juxtaposition of the wand wash button and a pair of condoms on top of the toilet is a little too much for me to take in just yet though.

The service so far, as we have found in the rest of China, has been exceptional. The butler was here straight away to introduce herself and tell us about services available to us.

If anyone has any specific questions about the property, we are here for the next couple of days so I am happy to investigate for you and report back.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jul 13, 2008 at 9:43 am Reason: Master thread pre renovation http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382276
Old Jul 13, 2008, 3:36 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
Nice report. This kind of toilet is most common in Japan even in the public restrooms. I think the 'wand wash' is just to clean the wand of the toilet not yours...

Originally Posted by RAPC

The toilet appears to have a number of settings, including seat temperature and and 'rinsing' options so you don't need to leave the comfort of your seat. The intriguing option is the 'wand wash' function, although I daren't push the button to find out what it does. The juxtaposition of the wand wash button and a pair of condoms on top of the toilet is a little too much for me to take in just yet though.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 6:34 am

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
RAPC, thanks so much for taking these pictures! It does not appear to be as luxurious as I had hoped a St. Regis to be. Certainly doesn't look like a Cat. 6 property to me. Do you feel it is worth that many points?

We have actually booked a Diplomat Deluxe room but I do like the colours of the Executive room better (especially the dark bathroom).

Don't want to take too much of your time but could I ask you what brand the bathroom amenities are? And have you been to the pool at all? I think they have some natural hot springs there?

Now I really can't decide between the Westin, the Interconti and the St. Regis. I was hoping for the St. Regis to be extra special. Doesn't look that extra special to me. I have to find some pictures of the Westin rooms. I think I saw a thread a while ago with some photos...
Old Jul 13, 2008, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Sydfly not a problem answering questions. The internet appears to be free (so far at least!) so happy to help.

The rooms are very nice and the photos probably don't do them justice. Three of our four nights are on points and were booked at category 5 level. For 12,000 points I am very happy, but probably wouldn't feel I had great value at a category 6 redemption level to be honest. I think what sets it apart from say a really good category 5 hotel (I'm thinking Westin Bund as we stayed there last week) is the overall hotel experience. It is hard to put my finger on, but the place just feels like a luxury hotel rather than a great business hotel. The butler service and attention to detail is also very high. To be fair we chose to stay here for the experience of it rather than for the greatest rooms on our trip. You do feel special staying here, so from that aspect it succeeds. However if I was in Beijing again I would stay at another Starwood property just because we would have had the St Regis experience.

The bathroom amenities are by Ashford & Hall and seem ok, but nothing special to be honest. The bathrooms are well kitted out with extras and we found the bathroom TV in our room as well now.

The Diplomat Deluxe room is very nice and has enough space to be comfortable in. We have been told that many of the superior category suites are on the higher floors which are still being renovated, but they should be opened up in the next week or so meaning you may have the chance of a nice upgrade. However this is still a very nice room standard.

We did a quick wander by to the Apartment block which houses the gym, pool, spa and bowling lanes. (The bowling lanes are closed at the moment though.) The pool is open 24 hours a day and they do apparently have some hot springs, but we haven't checked them out yet, but we will hopefully have a look tomorrow at some point.

I can't compare with the Westin or Intercontinental in Beijing, so have no opinion on which is best. For the experience the St Regis scores well. However like for like with regards to rooms, I suspect it is on a par at very best with the competition.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 8:05 am

SPG hotels frequently have not been assigned proper Catorgory in Beijing

St regis in Shanghai Cat 4
Le Meridian Shanghai Cat 4
Westin Bund Cat 5

all above are resonable, but in beijing 2 westins are cat 5 and st regis is cat 6 which I believe they should be 1 catogory lower

Normally Shanghai hotels should be more expensive than beijing unless some special events
Old Jul 13, 2008, 12:02 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Originally Posted by iwpingmu
SPG hotels frequently have not been assigned proper Catorgory in Beijing

St regis in Shanghai Cat 4
Le Meridian Shanghai Cat 4
Westin Bund Cat 5

all above are resonable, but in beijing 2 westins are cat 5 and st regis is cat 6 which I believe they should be 1 catogory lower

Normally Shanghai hotels should be more expensive than beijing unless some special events
Westin financial street is still a cat. 4.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 2:40 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Hi RAPC,

Great review with relevant details.

Thank you for the hard work.

[email protected]
Old Dec 19, 2008, 9:27 am

Programs: BA/A3 Gold/SPG Plat
Dear FTers,

I uploaded some pictures @ flickr and hope u will like it!

St. Regis Beijing
Old Dec 21, 2008, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by MattTaiwan
Dear FTers,

I uploaded some pictures @ flickr and hope u will like it!

St. Regis Beijing
Great pics.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 1:47 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Does anyone have an email address for the General Manager of this property?
Old Jun 23, 2009, 5:42 am

Programs: BA/A3 Gold/SPG Plat
Originally Posted by damaxer91
Does anyone have an email address for the General Manager of this property?
The GM is Mr Cary Gray,so the email address is
(first name) . (last name) [at] stregis . com for your information, according to my email replied on Dec. 2008.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 6:43 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Originally Posted by MattTaiwan
The GM is Mr Cary Gray,so the email address is
(first name) . (last name) [at] stregis . com for your information, according to my email replied on Dec. 2008.
Thanks!
Old Jul 3, 2009, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Thumbs up Pre-Upgraded to Statesman Suite

I have a 5 night award reservation at the St. Regis Bejing for week of July 6. When I checked my reservation details online over a week ago, it was showing Statesman Suite.

This is the first time that I've been able to see an upgrade well in advance of my stay. The email I received today also decribes Statesman Suite. This is a great start to my family vacation. Well done St. Regis Beijing.:-:
Old Jul 4, 2009, 8:30 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Hilton Gold, Delta Diamond, Hertz Presidents, AA Gold
We were there on an award stay a few weeks ago. Be sure to check out the bowling alley (!!?) in the lower level of the spa building. A great way to spend a little time there...
Old Jul 11, 2009, 1:45 pm
wma

Programs: AA, HH, Marriott Titanium Elite
Statesman Suite

We just came back from Beijing and a 5 night stay at the St. Regis. We were upgraded to the Statesman Suite prior to our arrival. The suite was very nice. The bed was quite comfortable and the airconditioning was spot on. I particularly liked the bathroom. The automatic toilet was a breath of fresh air when compared to non western toilets at many tourist sites.
The shower was awesome. You were able to have the right amount of pressure - temperature, and switch from overhead to hand held easily.
I liked when I told housekeeping of extras I needed and they were there every day. The service in the hotel was great.
Breakfast had an excellent assortment of different food types. I particularly liked the variety of cheeses every day.

We found two issues though.
1- Many taxi driver's did not know where the hotel was. We had a card with the hotel name and address in Chinese but they still didn't know the hotel.
2. Their was one concierge whose English was excellent but for the most part several of the concierge's understanding of English was marginal. This meant getting directions difficult.

All in all the stay was great and I'd highly recommend the St. Regis in Beijing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.