Wiki Posts
Search

PJ Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2008, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, DL Million Miler
PJ Etiquette

What is the etiquette regarding when to put on the free PJs? Do I do this prior to 1st meal, after 1st meal, just before snoozing? Does everyone put on the PJs or just the "bold" passengers?
What to do with wallet when wearing PJs and sleeping?
Old Jul 14, 2008, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
I usually change when I'm ready to sleep, and put my valuables in a small fanny pack.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I'm usually into mine as soon as the seatbelt sign is off after takeoff - and I'm in them until the last meal service.

I like arriving fresh (particularly if I'm landing somewhere with no arrivals lounge) and I view them as a way to avoid getting my travel clothes rumpled or accidentally spilling something on them in turbulence!
Old Jul 14, 2008, 4:09 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
I change after takeoff as soon as the seatbelt sign goes off. Wallet goes into the little cubbyholes that most F/C seats have nowadays.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
I thought PJ etiquette was to keep them wrapped...........then sell them on eBay !
Old Jul 14, 2008, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
It's entirely up to you. Some people get changed as soon as they are given the PJs (i.e. before takeoff), and personally if I'm going to wear them at all then I either do that or pretty soon after the seat belt sign goes off. Plenty of places around for the wallet - but most often just in my carry on bag in the overhead.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 8:04 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by techgirl
I'm usually into mine as soon as the seatbelt sign is off after takeoff - and I'm in them until the last meal service.

I like arriving fresh (particularly if I'm landing somewhere with no arrivals lounge) and I view them as a way to avoid getting my travel clothes rumpled or accidentally spilling something on them in turbulence!
I agree. Heck, I've even changed into them while on the ground. That way, if we're held captive with the seatbelt light on for an extended period, I can drift off to sleep for awhile.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 6:13 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I never change into PJ's before takeoff. I keep my ordinary street clothes and, crucially, street shoes on for safety reasons. I usually keep my street clothes (but not street shoes; sockettes instead) on for the meal service, because eating a nice meal in pajamas doesn't feel right to me. I only wear the PJ's during times when I'm trying to put myself in a sleeping mindset, so they typically go on after the meal service.

When flying on airlines other than SQ or when flying SQ C, my wallet and passport go in my carryon tote. When in SQ F on a Megatop, my wallet and passport go in the little compartment in the seat for just such purposes.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 7:08 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
I never change into PJ's before takeoff. I keep my ordinary street clothes and, crucially, street shoes on for safety reasons.
This is a good point - even if I am in my PJs before takeoff, I always have my street shoes on and fastened until we're well airborne.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 9:36 am
Community Director Emerita

I'm going to move this to Travel Buzz as this is not an Asia specific question.

SanDiego1K
Senior Moderator
Old Jul 15, 2008, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

On our 15 hour flight from LHR-EZE I changed in to them after the seat belt sign went off and they stayed on till the GRU stopover.Thankfully we were allowed to stay on the plane where I changed back into my clothes for the shortish hop to EZE.
Plan on using them again for our flight over to the UK in a couple of weeks which isn't in F this time but in Club World.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I usually change into them before takeoff and out of them right before the seatbelt sign goes on for landing. They're comfortable and make sure my other clothes stays fresh, so I keep 'em on as long as I can.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore
I thought PJ etiquette was to keep them wrapped...........then sell them on eBay !
I don't wear them on the flights either. I usually give them away when I get home. I have a few nice ones I have kept. The British Airways PJs fit me well.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 12:31 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore
DITTO!

Or else, put the PJs on when you get to your hotel or home...
Old Jul 15, 2008, 1:22 pm

Programs: AS
Like a few of the recent posters, I don't tend to worry about airline provided PJs as I'm likely to be dressed comfortably on a long-haul flight already (gym style warmups and a t-shirt). When I get off the plane I'll change back into whatever clothes I need for that day depending on which flight it is (going or returning).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.