Wiki Posts
Search

Need advice from Kangaroo regulars pls?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2008, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Need advice from Kangaroo regulars pls?

Hello forum! Need some help please, and thought I'd turn to the experts instead of just sitting in the background as an anonymous forum reader!

Flying to SYD via BKK soon on the upper deck of my favourite, and it seems from the timetables like there is a 2-3 hour stopover at the midway point. I’m not changing planes, so this seams a fairly long time…

Can anyone advise – ‘cos I haven’t flown long haul in this direction for 10 years – is the BA lounge in BKK close to the gates BA normally use, and if so, can you feasibly get to the lounge & back to freshen up / shower? That is if they have showers? And if they do – are they normally chocca with everyone doing the same thing?

The distance thing from gate to lounge will be the critical factor, as my gf has ME and tires out from walking after about 5 minutes max. We’ll be relying on the great team who provide wheelchairs at LHR to ensure we get to the plane ok, and the same again on arrival in Oz.

Flying back in First on a 777 and the stopover is much shorter, so probably not time to bother with such niceties as a shower.

Incidentally – was amazed that Qantas don’t have an arrivals lounge for QF/BA in SYD. I mean, with most European flights arriving in the early hours, and hotel check-ins normally 2pm(ish), you’d have thought there would be more than enough demand for it.

However – I am looking forward to their new F departures lounge on the way back. Are the spa slots there any easier to get than at T4?
Old Jul 16, 2008, 2:02 pm

I don't recall exactly how long the stop in BKK is - but it's certainly not 2-3 hours. About 90 minutes IIRC.

The lounge is but a stones throw from the (usual) gate - but thanks to the terminal design it's a brisk 5 minute walk at least. Getting from the lounge back to the gate is a shorter walk.

If you've got a wheelchair booked, then this should also be provided at BKK as you have no choice about getting off the plane. I confess to not having any experience of airport wheelchairs in terms of how this will affect timings and whether they would even take your girlfriend to the lounge or just expect her to sit near the gate.

Assuming the timings are reasonably close to those of a non-wheelchair pax you should have no problems getting a shower in the lounge.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info there phillipas. Whilst everyone has to get off the plane, are you allowed to leave hand baggage on board or does it all have to go with you? I guess its the latter...?
Old Jul 16, 2008, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by 747_not_777
I guess its the latter...?
You're pretty good at this guessing thing!

Overall the BKK transit works reasonably well - albeit the trek to the lounge is irritating as much in that it's a very indirect route. The only thing that concerns me in respect of your trip is the wheelchair and how much it will affect things.

Welcome to FT btw! ^^^
Old Jul 16, 2008, 3:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, BA GGL
i have just returned from a trip to SYD for business via BKK and the layover is 3hrs if the flights run to time. This is due to the restrictions at SYD and the current 9hr time difference. Even when we got back on board we sat for another 30 mins to avoid getting toe SYD early!! So be prepared for up to 3hrs at the moment on the way down.

However on the way back the stopover is 90 mins.

On the way down, I had time for a shower food and several glasses of champagne. Much the same on the way back expect less drinking time!

I have done the trip several times and dependent on the gate there is normally a brisk 5 min walk to get to the lounge.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, BA Silver
Thanks for the info there phillipas. Whilst everyone has to get off the plane, are you allowed to leave hand baggage on board or does it all have to go with you? I guess its the latter...?
Correct - you have to clear the plane completely.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 5:32 pm

That is if they have showers?
Yep, pretty decent, and the new BKK lounges are a good space for a few glasses of champers if you are so inclined, between planes.

Last edited by lorkers; Feb 28, 2011 at 8:10 pm
Old Jul 16, 2008, 5:55 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Showers are in high demand - if you aren't one of the first to arrive at the lounge then you'll miss out (don't forget there is more than one flight with the same timings).
Old Jul 16, 2008, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
However – I am looking forward to their new F departures lounge on the way back. Are the spa slots there any easier to get than at T4?
QF have the ability to book spa treatments for you the day before if you are in First. Now, I'm not sure if that is just QF First or maybe because of JSA this does include BA. I'd suggest you call the Qantas First host (I'll PM you the local number) at 9am sharp Sydney time the day before you leave for London. They'll do the pre-check-in details (have your passports to hand) and then will transfer you to the spa where you can book your appointment.
http://www.qantas.com.au/infodetail/...syd/index.html

If there is a phone number in your booking they will call you at some point the day before you fly to arrange this (again, I'm not 100% sure whether QF extend this to BA F passengers), however, if the massage is an important part of your trip I'd call at 9am (when the spa opens) to avoid disappointment.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Showers are in high demand - if you aren't one of the first to arrive at the lounge then you'll miss out (don't forget there is more than one flight with the same timings).
Fully agree; with both QF2 and BA9 coming though within minutes of each other the showers (and lounges for that matter) are in High demand.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 10:25 pm

Programs: Qantas
Incidentally – was amazed that Qantas don’t have an arrivals lounge for QF/BA in SYD. I mean, with most European flights arriving in the early hours, and hotel check-ins normally 2pm(ish), you’d have thought there would be more than enough demand for it.

Agree, no arrivals lounge is a huge oversight. On the bright side, spa treatments are generally easier to line up, and are longer and better than at T5. Actually, the food is better than at the T5 Flounge too - and the staff are lovely...
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Sorry to learn of the OP's GF's condition, but am I the only one who is surprised that even with wheelchair assistance booked, upper deck seats have been allocated?

Perhaps one of the BA staff can give some input here
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Well – I booked this flight a year ago, as you’d figure with BA Miles, and want to be on the upper deck. Recent experiences with booking wheelchairs has shown that as soon as you do, you lose the ability to adjust the seating plan for that passenger – either before OLCI opens or after.

I have a feeling that if I book it now, even though we have already chosen seats (and therefore losing ability to alter it would not matter), the computer will say “no” – upstairs and wheelchairs don’t mix. My better half can do stairs ok – she gets upstairs every night to go to bed – it’s the walking long distances across airports which is the difficulty and why she needs the chair.

So – unless some BA insider can assure me a wheelchair booking won’t cancel our upper deck seats – I won’t prebook it on this occasion. We’ll check-in as normal at T4, then wonder over and enquire about a wheelchair. Apparently almost half of chair users don’t book it until the day anyway, so probably won’t be a problem. If all else fails, a baggage trolley or my shoulders will have to suffice! And my gf agrees – after a very so-so experience on the main deck of a 777 in CW a few weeks back to the Caribbean, she wants the upper deck experience again.

Incidentally, we deliberately didn’t select an exit row upstairs to avoid the issue of not being “fully able” etc. 64 J&K mean she can still have a preferred window seat and no issue of climbing over another passenger – which she wouldn’t be able to manage easily.

On the way back it’s 2 E&F in F, so certainly no stairs to contend with and I’ll actually go book the wheelchair for that flight now – it’s on a separate booking.

Thanks HUGELY to Fraser by the way – I owe you a beer, or 3! And all the other helpful comments. Great forum.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 1:57 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(

Flying back in First on a 777 and the stopover is much shorter, so probably not time to bother with such niceties as a shower.
As you will be in F on the way back, you can use the F lounge. You should still have time for a shower, champagne, some great finger food and have time to spare, with a 90 min layover.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks James S - I will be looking forward to that then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.