Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel (was Sheraton NY Hotel & Towers) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel (was Sheraton NY Hotel & Towers) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2007, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Arrow Sheraton New York Times Square Hotel (was Sheraton NY Hotel & Towers) [Master Thread]

I'm typing from the lobby of this hotel. With the mixed reviews on this forum, my expectation was low. Furtheremore, it's 12/30 and I expect the hotel to be very busy. When I arrive, it's already 6 pm and the 44th floor desk was already closed. Went back to the lobby to check in, the young lady said no upgrade and no free breakfast (lounge closed for New Year's eve). Checked into the room and it's a non-inspiring and small. Went back to the lobby 30 min later and made sure the young lady was not there, asked another agent and he cheerfully gave me a nice suite on the top floor (50th) and comped breakfast for my family of four. Wow! How lucky I was to score a suite upgrade on a busy day on award stay at this hotel? The next day, I asked the desk if I can keep the room for another day using points. She checked with the manager inside the room and it was approved! The standard room is going for $479+tax per night. A suite maybe $1k?? This is a helluva deal for 10k points. We stayed for the count-down and were able to see Times Square from outside the hotel. We had a great time.

BTW, the comp American buffet breakfast at the lobby restaurant is very good.

3 suite upgrades out of 3 award stays at these two Sheraton properties ^ ^ I must be very charming hehe!

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jul 16, 2008 at 11:19 pm Reason: Pre 2007 info is at http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=638338
Old Jan 8, 2007, 5:37 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Post Sheraton New York Hotel & Towers - great stay!

First things first. I combed through all of the older threads on this hotel since I didn't want to start a new one. However, so many of them led off in different directions or begun to discuss subway options, etc, that I decided to simply start a new thread altogether on this hotel. (So no beating me up for that.)

Alrighty. So, we wanted to hop down to the big city for a 4 night weekend to see some shows, have some great food and enjoy what is NYC. This time around, we opted to use the 50% off redemption award for Plat members, which made this stay just 5000 points per night. Not bad at all for NYC!!!

I was certainly wary of this hotel given some rough reviews here on FT and elsewhere. I knew the hotel was in the process of room remodeling, and hoped we wouldn't be disappointed. I felt it was a gamble, regardless.

Once we arrived, I began to feel better instantly. The lobby was newly appointed and the front desk was heavily staffed with a dedicated Plat/Gold desk that was clearly marked and fully staffed. Early check-in was a breeze and we were fortunate to have been upgraded to a parlor suite on the 40th floor. When we got to the room, it was more than a parlor suite, this was a full suite! So, we had two full baths, a wet bar with stools, a sitting area with three chairs and a couch, a dining table, 2 work desks and at least 4 phones! I would guess we had about 750-800 ft sq, which in NY is like having the state of Delaware!

The rooms were all very freshly renovated and the quality of furnishings and soft goods was all excellent. The view was okay, not great. If one craned one's neck, you could nearly see Times Square. We did, however, have a superior view of the Sheraton Manhattan, for whatever that's worth!

We made our way around 6pm the first day to the Lounge on the 44th floor. It far surpassed my expectations. I spend a lot of time in Sheratons and can tell you this is the best Sheraton Club Lounge (with the possible exception of the Mexico City Maria Isabel Towers Lounge, but that doesn't really count) I've been in. It was heavily staffed with long time employees and also recently redone. Furnishings were of good quality. There was one computer provided with HSIA for club guests along with a printer. The food offerings at night were substantial. Always two hot offerings along with an array of vegetables, crackers & cheese, sweets, and various other things like marinated artichoke hearts, etc. The real difference here was the quality of what was being offered was significantly better than the usual Sam's Club crap that we normally see in club lounges (think chicken wings, mini egg rolls, etc.). This was REAL FOOD that was well presented and constantly refreshed and maintained. What a nice surprise. I'd about given up on club lounges.

And, despite numerous accounts here on FT to the contrary, I will assure you that there was NO CHARGE for soft drinks in the club lounge for the four nights we were there. And, that is the new policy according to staff members. I do not know when it changed, but on numerous occasions, we heard lounge staffers telling new guests that the bar offered complimentary soft drinks. All day long, an array of Tazo teas and Starbucks coffee is offered in the lounge.

But, the highlight of the lounge was the offering they put out for breakfast. This was hands down the best cold breakfast spread I've seen in North America for a mainline hotel lounge. The usual suspects like yogurt, cereals, etc, sure. But also fresh berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries in January!!!!!), Krispy Kreme doughnuts, cold breakfast meats and cheeses, freshly squeezed Orange Juice and freshly squeezed Grapefruit Juice. The staff was exceptionally willing to bring out things that one might want that wasn't offered. We told them how much we loved having the berries and within 30 seconds, out came a bowl of blackberries!!! (Probably $9 worth!) The pastries are real pastries, baked on premise, and not the frozen crappy ones that virtually every hotel in the US now uses. The banana bread is baked freshly from scratch every morning, etc. In sum, this lounge meant that we really could have a legit breakfast each day in the lounge and be well fed. A wonderful surprise!

And, of course, I consider the location of this Sheraton to be almost ideal for my visits to the city. Why? Because it's a very short and enjoyable walk into the heart of Times Square for all the madness there (along with Theater!). And, it's a few blocks away from the real heart of great shopping on Fifth Avenue. We used two nearby subway stations for access to all other areas of the city with no troubles.

I can say that the Sheraton Manhattan was looking pretty tired and run down. I didn't, of course, see the rooms, but it just looked awfully old on the outside.

Regardless, I thought it was important to post this regarding our stay this past weekend at the Sheraton NY. There's an awful lot of mixed info out there about this place and it nearly caused me to rethink my choice of hotels. I'm very pleased we ultimately chose to stay here. With just one exception, every employee we encounted there was exceedingly friendly and genuinely helpful. The concierge staff seemed eager to please and competent.

All in all, this stay was infinitely better than I had expected. Kudos to the management team here for their hard work that is evident here. This may well become my new favorite NY hotel (until it hops up to a CAT 5 or 6, anyway)!
Old Jan 8, 2007, 8:58 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HIlton Diamond
Do you know if the rest of the rooms were renovated? I have a stay coming up in Feb and purposely chose the Sheraton across the street. Will rethink this based on your post. Maybe i'll give them a call.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 6:45 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by eternalX
Do you know if the rest of the rooms were renovated? I have a stay coming up in Feb and purposely chose the Sheraton across the street. Will rethink this based on your post. Maybe i'll give them a call.
I simply don't know. I was told that rooms were renovated from the top down, but I don't know the status of the remainder of the property. I will reiterate that the public areas and our room looked sparkling new in every way. I'd suggest giving them a call.....
Old Jan 9, 2007, 7:01 am

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
sbtinme, genuine "congrats" on your successful stay and in-depth report.

Pardon my cynicism, but I think you've just confirmed what most plats are frustrated over - *when*, and they are too rare it seems, the UPGRADE process works, and one gets lucky enough to get the promised "upgrade to best room available", then stays seem to be successful and traveler "x" is happy. When one is certain there are better rooms available, but we/he/she is intentionally not offered same, only creates frustration.

My recent experience:

I completed a matress run Nov/Dec last year by staying numerous nights in several DFW area starwoods - not a single upgrade was ever offered. In one particular case I was a repeat customer of one property 5-6 nights' in a 30day span (they almost had my first name down when I checked in by the end of the run)...not a single upgrade did I get as a PLAT. In one case it was a holiday night, and the hotel mgr mentioned a shocking 17% occupancy - no upgrade offered.

So, again, glad you had a successful stay at what most know to be a hard-luck hotel at best (NY Towers - maybe the general manager is tired of seeing this property be the poster child for what's wrong at starwood)...on the basis of my stay a couple of years ago, coupled w/ report after report of poor stays, I won't stay at this one in NYC again if I can avoid it.

But the inconsistency of starwood's "best room at time of check-in" for PLATs is sure irritating. They do a lot of things superbly, and many things "right" or better, but IMO and in my experience, their promised upgrade if available at time of checkin is a broken system.

P.S. I am also glad you get to use that 50% off award...its timed so that families have little chance to use it...since it expires right when schools let out 3rd week of May. Little chance I can use this w/ my family, so starwood wasted a tree sending that fancy paprt invitation to me. That was also a disingenious promotion IMO by starwood except that it, I suppose, fills rooms in the dead of winter and spring.

Last edited by ILUVCITIBANK; Jan 9, 2007 at 7:27 am
Old Jan 9, 2007, 7:38 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by ILUVCITIBANK
sbtinme, genuine "congrats" on your successful stay and in-depth report.

P.S. I am also glad you get to use that 50% off award...its timed so that families have little chance to use it...since it expires right when schools let out 3rd week of May. Little chance I can use this w/ my family, so starwood wasted a tree sending that fancy paprt invitation to me. That was also a disingenious promotion IMO by starwood except that it, I suppose, fills rooms in the dead of winter and spring.
Not sure how you can say this since there are 5 months before May - loads of weekends (including two long ones in Jan/Feb), a winter break, a spring break are all part of my niece and nephew's school system. Doesn't seem disingenious at all imo. . .
Old Jan 9, 2007, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
sbtinme, good review ^ and on the suite upgrade!

This property is great when you get upgraded to one of their suites (esp. corner because its quiet). The free food at the lounge definitely helps.

However, if you get assigned one of their regular rooms (or even regular club)...then

Glad you had a wonderful stay though!
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:50 pm

I was surprisingly impressed with the Sheraton New York Towers as well. I live in Queens, NY but decided to use a free weekend night just before Christmas. I was given a nice suite...one with a double door! The living room was quite large, with a round dining table, a sofa bed, 2 matching sofa chairs, a mini refrigerator, 2 bathrooms, a separate bed room, an office and 3 tvs. Most of the room decor seemed newly renovated.

I agree with iluvcitibank in that a nice upgrade really does influence ones stay to be either excellent or mediocre. However, I think I would've given this hotel the thumbs up for the excellent lounge as mentioned by the op.
The folks in the lounge were very attentive and helpful and the food selection was excellent although I did not see the krispy kreme donuts during my stay.

I use to work in this area but also agree with op that it is an excellent location especially for touristy activities.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 4:25 pm

Award ?

What award did you use ???? Please elaborate
Old Jan 9, 2007, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by Mister Nice
What award did you use ???? Please elaborate
It's currently a CAT 4 hotel @ 10K per night. (That's all about to change in a few weeks, but that's another story.)

As a Platinum SPG member, I was entitled to one award trip up to five nights between early 2007 and May 2007 at HALF normal award redemption rate. This is discussed ad nauseum here on FT -- you must be a Platinum member to be eligible.

Does that help/clarify?
Old Jan 9, 2007, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by eternalX
IMO, there are only 2 things better about the Sheraton across the street: 1) it's where the pool is located, and 2) since the lounge is currently closed you can get a pretty complete breakfast at the restaurant. As far as renovated rooms, upgrades, or speed of checkin it's been consistently lower in my experience (over the past 4 years ~20 stays at the SNYHT vs 7 at SM). The remote control on my television has been broken the last 3 times I stayed there
Old Jan 9, 2007, 11:31 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AC Gold
Let's not forget the time of the year...

I've had both very bad and very good experiences with the Sheraton Towers. My latest one was average, checked in two nights ago for one night (mattress run time for double stays), got regular room on the 49th floor (2 phones, 1 bathroom ), lounge food is indeed spectacular but other than that nothing of the ordinary. Keeping in mind this is low season for NYC, i thought that was a bit off. In the middle of my mattress runs since the beginning of the year I stayed at the W Times Square, Westin Time Square, Sheraton Manhattan, Sheraton Towers and Four Points Chelsea. Here's my ranking based on my experience...

1. Westin Times Square
Got upgraded to corner suite in the Executive Wing, nice gym, breakfast and hors d'oerves in the evening, overall the nicest atmosphere

2. W Times Square
Got upgraded to corner room overlooking Times Square (view from the 45th floor is unbelievable), no lounge, decent gym

3. Sheraton Manhattan
Got upgraded to the biggest suite i've ever been upgraded too, easily 800sq ft, not the most modern thing, but again huge corner suite. Didn't have a chance to check out the lounge if they have one. Pool is under renovation.

4-tie. Sheraton NY Towers
I had two stays there, one was a upgrade to a small suite, the other, as i mentioned at the beginning was not an upgrade. But the food in the lounge and the huge gym counts for something, after all i'm in my 20's, need to run around a bit.

4-tie. Four Points Chelsea
This used to be my favourite pre-plat, but once you get to plat, the free internet does not make up for the cigarette smell in non-smoking rooms (which i got now for two stays in a row). I also like the area, a little quieter than Times Sq. Oh, and no free anything, and no upgrades here. Ever. Anyone ever got an upgrade at this hotel ?
Old Jan 12, 2007, 6:47 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
I stayed in Sheraton Manhattan (Sheraton Hotels was sold out and I had a meeting in a building two blocks away on 7th Ave) this week for 1 night- got a corner room as Plat upgrade, which was completely worn out, no minibar, hardly any room amenities (quite similar to what I got in Four Points ORD), and the bath tub had hairs of the previous occupant . I checked in at 1130 pm and checked out at 8 am the next day, so did not get an opportunity to complain. Maybe I got a bad room, but what I got was not worth USD 300 I paid...
Old Jan 12, 2007, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by ampli2de

1. Westin Times Square
Got upgraded to corner suite in the Executive Wing, nice gym, breakfast and hors d'oerves in the evening, overall the nicest atmosphere
Woooo very nice! That is a VERY NICE suite. However, I wonder if I would take that suite over a corner room on a higher floor...hmmm.. I find the Club rooms/wing a bit noisy as they are on 42nd St. floor 1-13? or 11 with limited view. I have been offered the jr. suites many times but declined and took corner rooms. The jr suites are spacious but with only 2 windows, its very dark and depressing. I don't know why they would put ALL of their jr suites at that part of the building...dark, depressing, and next to the service elevators/rooms
Old Jan 29, 2007, 8:44 pm

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Platinum
I've had three separate stays at the Sheraton New York in the last 3 months. All Sunday-Friday stays, I've yet to receive a suite upgrade, I usually get a room on Club Level, that's about it.

Hoping my luck will change on my Thu-Sat points paid stay at the W (TS).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.